“Very Friendly Hostess” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Macadamia Meadows Farm Bed & Breakfast

You added Macadamia Meadows Farm Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
Macadamia Meadows Farm Bed & Breakfast
2.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   P.O. Box 756, Naalehu, Island of Hawaii, HI 96772   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Naalehu B&B and Inns
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Very Friendly Hostess”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2004

Most rooms are in the daylight basement of the house. Rustic, yet very clean and large. The breakfast was better than most restaurants. The pool is in need of repairs, but the tennis court is great, and the black sand beach isn't that far away.

The place is a working farm, so bear that in mind if you stay there. Charlene is a sweetheart and very hospitable. She made our stay very special.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2004

My husband is from Hawaii, and we wanted a romantic night away from the family. We could not have chosen a worse place to stay. The wife was polite to my husband when he made the reservations, however we had to deal with the husband from then on and he was very rude and did not make us feel comfortable at all. While the room itself was ok and relatively clean, the rest of the house was dirty and cluttered, the pool was green and filthy w/ all sorts of stuff floating in it. As soon as we were shown our room, we high tailed it out of there, preferring the 90 min. drive back to Hilo to staying there. The only good thing was that they did refund us in full after we called to let them know we wouldn't be staying there.

• Stayed July 2004
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2004

I stayed at this B&B for one night on my 2003 bike tour of the Big Island. I called to make a reservation after perusing the Macadamia Meadows web site, and Charlene Cowan graciously waived her 2-night minimum stay for me since I would be traveling by bicycle. She asked if I had any food allergies before we ended our conversation, told me that she'd keep an eye out for me since I'm traveling alone, and promptly sent me a confirmation and directions by email.

This is a very bike friendly place with excellent hosts. The rooms are beautiful, I was given a sheltered and safe home for my bicycle, and the breakfast was wonderful. We had fruit, juice, coffee, and waffles with fresh macadamia nuts from their farm.

I'm planning a return engagement - another bike tour of Hawaii in October of 2004. I'll be staying at Macadamia Meadows again, for two nights this time. I'll use my non-travel day here to bike down to South Point and spend a bit more time just soaking in the sights.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2003

There were some good points about this Bed and Breakfast. The breakfast was excellent. We enjoyed the location as a starting point for our trip around the Big Island. It is a reasonable distance from both Volcano National Park and Kona area.

However, there are some items that need some improvement. Number one, the pool was not in operation. Some of the smaller amenities, like beach towels, were hard to come by.

The owner insists on turning off the hot water heater at 10pm. We found this to be a problem because you will get back very late if you travel to a lot of popular island destinations.

While the room was very clean, we found the set up to be very awkward.
Things like no nightstands or light to see the bathroom can be a problem.

This was the first of five different bed and breakfasts that we stayed at and it ranked last on the list. We paid less and received more at other locations. Owners need to see what the competition is offering in this price range. Overall, we would say that the Macadamia Meadow Farm Bed and Breakfast was not worth the money we paid.

, owner at Macadamia Meadows Farm Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, March 31, 2005
Aloha
I actually thought there were a couple of good points in this review. It would have been much nicer to have received this information directly [when you are being reviewed on job performance, wouldn't you want to be told face to face and given the opportunity to act on the information, rather than read it on the Internet?]
The "water" issue was directly in response to trying to be energy saving. How ever we thought it was a point well taken and since then you may take a shower when ever you like [it's an on demand European system].
I have never advertised providing beach towels to be taken off property to guests, but truth is we often do. Once again I thought this was a good point, and we have purchased more.
As for price, well they had the most expensive room in the house, their choice. We have rooms that cost less- and often run specials for longer stays.

Been to Macadamia Meadows Farm Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!