“Inspiring, invigorating, connection with nature and traditional values.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Eco Hostel Hawaii

Eco Hostel Hawaii
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kurtistown
Eco Hostel Hawaii
16-1925 Koloa Maoli Road, Kurtistown, Island of Hawaii, HI 96760   |
“Inspiring, invigorating, connection with nature and traditional values.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014 via mobile

We visited for three days and found an eclectic group of guests that were friendly, inspiring, hard working and focused in making a positive difference. The owner Kenny was very knowledgeable, educational and speaks from hard work and vision. I was so impressed with how they are cultivating the land, thoughtfully planning accommodations and offer an experience like no other. I will be back and plan on assuming a volunteer role to really benefit from all that the hostel has to offer.

• Stayed April 2014

26 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

This place is paradise if you love nature and great people. For folks who like to rough it but with high quality living experience. You will want to stay with Eco-hostel for the rest of your life. They also offer great tours. They bring you places no one else will. They give you the locals experience. The place improves every day as they are always expanding.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

The Eco hostal gave me a peaceful retreat to relax amongst friends. Every day I fell asleep to the soothing song if the Coqui frog, and every morning I was greeted by hundreds if birds bursting into song at dawn. The tents were comfy and private, my own little refuge.
I spent most days on Eco hostal adventure tours, where I was treats like royalty and took in one amazing sure after the other. My main focus was hiking, so my trips focused on that.. It. Truly was adventure tours!!
I can't wait to go back and see how the Eco hostal has grown harmoniously with the jungle. It's a beautiful thing that is happening there, fueled by beautiful souls and the spirit if the island.
If you don't need a perfect accomodation, just a perfect experience... This place is for you. Not 5 star.. Way better :)

• Stayed March 2014
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

Eco Hostel Hawaii quickly became a place of comfort and rest. I arrived not knowing how long I would stay and ended up staying for 2 months and then some as a volunteer person.The community is oriented around working in alignment with goodness already present in the different ecosystems of the island as well the goodness of social communities in the larger Puna area. We got to work on some fun projects as volunteers and some heavy lifting projects too but they didn't work us too hard and at the end of the day it was nice to have accomplished and contributed some to the unfolding vision.
A lot of healing happened here for me and most others that shared the experience of being here. And after leaving, I was warmly welcomed back as a visitor and we celebrated and were merry and it was good.
Now I am back on the mainland and I miss the coquies and the perennial peanut and baby Sophia's giggles and being outside always and climbing the staircase to the bathroom at night under the epic blanket of stars.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Oakland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

My home away from home for elders escaping the cold. This place tries to live in harmony with mother earth. Off grid, recycling, composting, solar electric, rainwater catchment with hot showers, art and gardening. Affordable--stayed 7 weeks in early 2014 in their volunteer option. Flexible folks, willing to consider ideas for projects. The tent within a tent hales (housing) were comfortable and stayed dry even during heavy rain. Nature is right there. Felt strange going back to four walls later. Not bad access to catch buses to Hilo, Volcano, Kamuela and even Kona if you have the time and wish to burn less carbon.

Room Tip: Tends toward a younger crowd (millenials) which can be invigorating, mixing generations. You can re...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Ames, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

I had planned on staying at Eco Hostel Hawaii for 8 days, but ended up jumping around the island visiting other places since it was my first visit. I ended up wishing that I had stayed there the whole time. The grounds are beautiful and the commons area has a great feel to it. The people are great, the tours are the best and I felt the most safe at the hostel than anywhere else. I went on the Green Sand Tour and Waipio Valley tour and I really felt that my guide, Derek, had a reverence for the land and the history of Hawaii. The accommodations were very nice, even better than expected. Eco Hostel is the sort of place that you leave wishing that you could have given back more. I'll definitely be back, and next time I'll have more time overall and more time to help out.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Hilo, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

I planned on staying at Eco Hostel Hawaii for two weeks, volunteering. I ended up being here for over 3 months. It's a great oppurtunity to get involved in a place just a couple years old and being able to be a part of it all and see the progress. The community here is incredible. People at EHH are passionate about what they're doing and go out of their way to provide an enjoyable Hawaiian experience. Eco Hostel Hawaii is the perfect place to land on the Big Island, whether for a night or two or volunteering, you will be swept up in the aloha spirit :) <3

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Been to Eco Hostel Hawaii? Share your experiences!