“Good Snow Bird Retreat” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Eco Hostel Hawaii

Eco Hostel Hawaii
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kurtistown
Eco Hostel Hawaii
You added Eco Hostel Hawaii to your Saves list
16-1925 Koloa Maoli Road, Kurtistown, Island of Hawaii, HI 96760   |
Oakland, California
“Good Snow Bird Retreat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

My home away from home for elders escaping the cold. This place tries to live in harmony with mother earth. Off grid, recycling, composting, solar electric, rainwater catchment with hot showers, art and gardening. Affordable--stayed 7 weeks in early 2014 in their volunteer option. Flexible folks, willing to consider ideas for projects. The tent within a tent hales (housing) were comfortable and stayed dry even during heavy rain. Nature is right there. Felt strange going back to four walls later. Not bad access to catch buses to Hilo, Volcano, Kamuela and even Kona if you have the time and wish to burn less carbon.

Room Tip: Tends toward a younger crowd (millenials) which can be invigorating, mixing generations. You can re...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Ames, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

I had planned on staying at Eco Hostel Hawaii for 8 days, but ended up jumping around the island visiting other places since it was my first visit. I ended up wishing that I had stayed there the whole time. The grounds are beautiful and the commons area has a great feel to it. The people are great, the tours are the best and I felt the most safe at the hostel than anywhere else. I went on the Green Sand Tour and Waipio Valley tour and I really felt that my guide, Derek, had a reverence for the land and the history of Hawaii. The accommodations were very nice, even better than expected. Eco Hostel is the sort of place that you leave wishing that you could have given back more. I'll definitely be back, and next time I'll have more time overall and more time to help out.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Hilo, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

I planned on staying at Eco Hostel Hawaii for two weeks, volunteering. I ended up being here for over 3 months. It's a great oppurtunity to get involved in a place just a couple years old and being able to be a part of it all and see the progress. The community here is incredible. People at EHH are passionate about what they're doing and go out of their way to provide an enjoyable Hawaiian experience. Eco Hostel Hawaii is the perfect place to land on the Big Island, whether for a night or two or volunteering, you will be swept up in the aloha spirit :) <3

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

The grounds to the hostel are incredibly gorgeous. Lush jungle and flowers abound. They have done a fantastic job intertwining the hostel with nature. Just a single example: the new kitchen area is outdoors and the counter tops are hand-fashioned from Hawaiian wood. Truly striking.

We stayed in the hut. It is screened-in, but otherwise open air. With the king sized bed and full moon we were treated to- it was super romantic.

The owners are super chill and willing to go the extra mile to make the stay memorable. (We accidentally left some things behind and they made sure we got them back. Haven't experienced that before. Thanks guys!)

Because the place was so new, they didn't have their tours functional yet. They did set us up with details, and we ended up renting a car and going with friends. I would have preferred to go with the hostel instead of renting a car (hate driving), but the places outlined in their tours are amazing and totally worth seeing.

Overall I was a happy camper!

Room Tip: Get the hut!!!!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

I stayed 5 days at the eco hostel in one of the hales just a short walk from the commons. My accommodations were outstanding I had a great bed to sleep in and got to listen to the majestic sounds of nature at night. During my stay I went on the lava tour, lower puna massive tour, crater and jaggar museum tour, and the Waipio valley tour. On the lower puna massive tour I visited many beautiful black sand beaches, snorkeled in crystal clear blue water tide pools, feel the incredible heat of the lava tubes, and saw the remnants of ancient trees at lava tree state park. On my crater and jaggar museum tour I hiked around the park seeing the magnificent views of the volcano and then visited the museum learning the Hawaiian history of the volcano. Then we waited until sunset to watched the glow of the crater. On the Waipio valley tour we took about a 45 minute car ride to get an awe inspiring overview of the whole valley. We then hiked down a steep road and pass a few homes till we reached a path that led into the jungle. On our journey into the wild we encountered over grown paths, deep stream crossing, slippery rocks, and some time to pick a few delicious mountain apples. After about a mile in we came to a clearing to see a breathtaking view of one of the tallest waterfalls in the world. We stayed for about an hour to swim in the freezing waters of the falls and have lunch. After lunch we hiked about 2 miles to the opposite side of the valley to a marvelous black sand beach to relax before our harsh trex back up the steep road. On the lava tour we hiked out over the lava fields until reaching our destination at the coast to witness lava pouring into the ocean. We then gave an offering to the goddess pele and in return she gave us an awesome show of her power. When nightfall came we left the warmth of the lava and hiked back in the darkness to the van. At the end of each day to relax we would all gather in the commons and watch movies and throw back a few beers just enjoying each others company. What I loved about each tour is that they were done in small groups and they were physically demanding. So I always felt like I was just hanging out with friends having a good time, and since some places were hard to get there weren't large groups of tourist around. On every tour I went on each tour guide I had was very knowledgeable and was able to answer any questions I had. I believe that each tour that I went on was well worth the money that I spent, but its more about the experiences you gain instead of worry about the money you spend. Overall I would have to say that my time at eco hostel Hawaii was legendary and I can't wait to go back.

Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Queenstown, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

Would recommend a visit to the eco hostel. Friendly people working towards a good cause and living a desirable lifestyle. Set in dense bush this was a great change in pace for me. I stayed in the cabins and absaloutely loved it! Peace, quiet and a king bed as soft as a cloud surrounded by nothing but bush (bugs not a problem). A unique and enjoyable stay.

• Stayed October 2013
Hilo, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

New to the big island I chose eco-hostel Hawaii as my destination because, they are off grid and so is my home in Florida. Everything about the farm centers around sustainability. They also do recycling, composting and offer a large discount for interns, wanting to learn and share their knowledge and experience. If you should stay longer than a week, your weekend could be loaded with tours, advise of where to go and perhaps even be paired with Kenny, Derrick or Ryan, all are well versed about the big island!

Room Tip: Be specific what u want in the way of accommodations, they have tents for work/discount cheap for th...
Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Been to Eco Hostel Hawaii? Share your experiences!