“Nice place for people with a car” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Pineapple Park - Kona

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kealakekua
Pineapple Park - Kona
You added Pineapple Park - Kona to your Saves list
Mamalahoa Highway, Kealakekua, Island of Hawaii, HI 96750   |
Tubingen, Germany
“Nice place for people with a car”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2011

Decent place. Good price.

Positive points:
- Easy to find
- Can walk to Captain Cook Monument from there
- Rents cheap snorkeling gear plus kayaks
- Nice outdoor area to chill
- Fully equiped big kitchen
- free wifi
- I liked the 'half-outdoors' showers (real hot and good water pressure)

Negative points:
- Close to street so if you're a light sleeper that might be a problem
- Also walls are thin
- Rooms on the small side. No arircon. gets stuffy.
- No good if you don't have your own car (even thought there is a bus stop near by)
- Kitchen / common room closed from 10pm to 7am
- no sea view unless you have one of the rooms on first floor (expensive rooms)

Overall positive experience!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

Annie Park...Runs a unique hostel and kayak/snorkel shop in Captain Cook just up the hill from Kealalekua Bay. The bathrooms and kitchen were spotless. The bedrooms were fine and there is a decent patio/yard. Annie and her staff were/are friendly and accomodating.
Eventhough located on the main throughfare it's a great place to come stay at this price and not be right in Kailua. Also it's a good lauching pad to get started on a Big Island Adventure.
Check out her Kayak and snorkel stuff and I am sure the folks at Pinapple Park will help make it a great day/stay.
Thanks Annie for helping make our trip totally fantastic!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2011

I was very weary when my boyfriend said he booked a "hostel" for our stay in Kona. I have never really stayed in a hostel in my life and have always been pretty particular about hotels and the vacation rentals that I book. However, I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. The private room with bath that we had was very clean and cute. The hostel was very quiet and we really enjoyed cooking for ourselves in the kitchen. Annie, was the greatest hostess. She is a complete wealth of knowledge on different places to go on the island. Every morning I was greeted by her and her cute dog, always asking how everything was. I think the highlight of our trip was the suggested hike down to Captain Cook Monument. This spot probably was one the best snorkeling I have ever done. The great thing was that it was walking distance from the hostel. Annie has two other locations, which worked out great for us. We wanted to be on the other side of the island and she transferred us to the Hilo location and we spent the last two nights there. I believe there is another location near the volcano which I had wished we stayed at as well.

I really thought that Pineapple Park was a great choice and would definitely return.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Budapest, Hungary
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2011

Room and bathrooms were very clean. At night it is the silence and can be a nice sleep. Location is not very good and for sure you need a rental car.
Anne is very strict and after 10 pm she locked kitchen and shower so you can only use restrooms. :)

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2010

I read the reviews of Pineapple Park after staying there, and I think that while Annie, the owner, can seem a bit abrupt at times, she's really just doing what she has to do to keep up a good standard of accommodation. I've stayed in several hostels that have been all but destroyed by filthy, inconsiderate guests, and Annie is able to maintain a clean, safe establishment by making it clear that she won't tolerate that sort of behavior. So, I say good for her. I thought Pineapple Park was pretty good value overall. Our private room was a little small for two - rather than sharing the smallish double bed, my friend slept on the fold-out futon, which was rusty and didn't quite fold out to be perfectly flat, but it was close enough to be serviceable. The bedding provided was nice except for the crinkly plastic pillows, but I'm pretty sure this is an anti-bedbug measure. Common areas (bathroom and kitchen) were clean and spacious and there's plenty of outdoor seating for meals and just hanging out. Lily, the dog, is cute and downright hilarious when she plays with her stuffed monkey. I recommend eating at Annie's Burgers & Beer up the highway a mile or two toward Kona (I'm pretty sure it's a different Annie, for the record). Great location for snorkeling, kayaking and surfing - I would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Basel, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2010

Before I came I had read all the crappy reviews of that hostel, but when I finally got there, I was surprised on the POSITIVE side! Instead of the dorm room Annie gave me a private room, as there was space enough and the dorm was cramped with people already. I really appreciated that. And whoever said that the showers are lousy obviously was too lazy to walk over to the guest showers and used the kayak rental showers, which obviously are quite basic, as they are only thought for rinsing yourself off sand and salt! Be honest, for that price you can't get anything that great in many places!!! And if you decide you need some pampering for your stomach and you're lazy to cook, then just walk over the street, there's a delicious Italian restaurant! Besides, free fruit in the kitchen, use of their phone for reservations, and just situated in a great rainforesty area... wonderful to wake up here and know you're in Hawaii!!!
PS: And you're just a few minutes away from one of the best snorkelling spots ever!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2010

I stayed at the Pineapple Park for 6 nights. I came to the big island to compete in the Ironman championships. Annie, the owner, provided a shuttle service on race morning (4:30am) to make sure I will be there early and relaxed. Great people and great place! Definitely a place to come back to!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo

Been to Pineapple Park - Kona? Share your experiences!