“charming, unique rainforest spa and retreat” 5 of 5 stars

You added A Beautiful Day, Nani La 'Ao to your Saves list
A Beautiful Day, Nani La 'Ao
161436 39th, HCR 1 Box 4643, Keaau, Island of Hawaii, HI 96749   |
Southern Vermont
“charming, unique rainforest spa and retreat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2010

I spent almost two months at A Beautiful Day, some in the tree house and some in the main house. I have thoroughly enjoyed the experience, and would recommend it to other independent, alternative type travelers who are looking for a genuinely interesting visit to the less touristy east side of the Big Island. Life would have been a lot simpler if I had rented a car, as the location is well off the beaten path up in Orchidland. It is about a four mile round trip trek to the nearest shop. However, I was on a budget and trying to get in better shape, so I bought a used bike in Hilo instead. I love riding into nearby Pahoa, having lunch, then hanging out at the gorgeous (and free!) municipal pool. Combined with the also free Hele-on bus system, I have been able to get around just fine.

Sherri, the owner, is an artist, a massage therapist, and a real character whom I now consider a friend. She loves animals and there are chickens, bunnies, a goat and a donkey on the premises. She gives a great lomi lomi massage!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Sun Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2007

We found the peace and tranquility we truly needed. The busy hotels were just too crazy, and this place was peaceful and serene. We stayed for two weeks, booked the rejuvenation packages, and looked (and felt) completely different when we left! We would highly recommend "A Beautiful Day/Nani La 'Ao" for anyone wanting to make a positive change in their life. It was easy to go back to work again...

• Liked — View of Mauna Kea from the porch, being surrounded by the native Ohia forest, friendly critters and staff
  • Disliked — Having to go home...
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
pasadena
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2007

I wanted to let you know about a place I stayed on the Big Island of Hawaii. It was called "A Beautiful Day" and had been recommended to me by one of my co-workers who stayed there several months ago. We got spa treatments and were very impressed with the professionalism and beauty of this place. We would recommend it to anyone wanting a unique spa experience in a secluded location. Very peaceful and magical.

Been to A Beautiful Day, Nani La 'Ao? Share your experiences!