“Best Dinner on the Big Island” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Hawaiian
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Central New Jersey
“Best Dinner on the Big Island”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2010

We stumbled onto this restaurant on the way back to Volcano. It's hiding just off Highway 11 in a shopping center with a Foodland Supermarket. What an amazing place! My husband and daughter both ordered the NY Strip Steak and I had a wonderful, tender and delicious Prime Rib. All the meat was very lean, cooked well and came with vegetables and a side of your choice in addition to soup or salad. The salads were crispy and fresh and my daughter loved the potato soup. My daughter ordered a Brownie Sundae and it was massive and delicious. With a tip, we spent less than $100 on this delicious meal. It was the most inexpensive and best dinner we had on the Big Island.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

New Jersey
“Great food at great prices”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2010

We stumbled upon Hokulani's Steakhouse by accident when we took a wrong turn heading for a view of the lava flow (it's a great restaurant to stop by at on the way there or on the way back, by the way). We had a great dinner there and wound up missing the chance to see the lava flow, but that's okay. We saw it the next day (and ate dinner at Hokulani's again afterward). The kids had excellent burgers. The first night I had their burger which was very good, and my husband had the prime rib, which was excellent. The next night I had their sandwich special (a grilled chicken) which was very tasty, and my husband had their ribs, which he very much enjoyed. The potato wedges he had with both of his meals were excellent. The staff was friendly and the ambiance was mostly sports bar, but that was fine with us.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Phoenix, AZ
“Unpretentious and DELICIOUS!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2009

My wife and I were looking for a good steak dinner and ran into this place while we were heading south out of Hilo. They hadn't been opened long, but you would have been hard pressed to tell that based upon their service and quality of food served. We had the New York and T-Bone steaks, both delicious and both cooked EXACTLY as ordered. The service was fast and courteous. If every meal is as good as ours were, this is a place you will want to come of you are hungry! Locals certainly seem to like it, too, which is always a good sign. I would highly recommend this place as long as you are not a snob. It is much too friendly for snobs to enjoy. :)

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere