“Solimene’s Pizza Pasta Panini” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Solimene's - CLOSED

Solimene's
65-1158 Mamalahoa Highway, Waimea Shopping Center, Waimea, Island of Hawaii, HI 96743
(808) 887-1313
Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Waikoloa Beach, Hawaii
“Solimene’s Pizza Pasta Panini”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We are at Solimene's Restaurant today for lunch. I have been looking forward to trying this place for a while. I have heard good things about it. On first impression, the place is small and intimate, there is only seating for roughly 50 people. Their menu consists of, you guessed it, pizza, pasta, and panini. I started with the coffee. It's good coffee. I don't have to add sugar. This is always one of my criteria for telling if it has good flavor, in this coffee mecca called Hawaii. Leise ordered the root beer float. She likes it except for the cheap plastic glass in which it is served.

I am hungry so everything is looking good, upon recommendation I ordered the “Pasta Rustica: Sweet Sicilian sausage tops this chunky tomato sauce chock full of peppers, mushrooms and onions. Served over rigatoni.” The smells coming from the kitchen are amazing. Scents of rosemary, chicken and garlic grilling and so much more. As I take my first bite I feel my body relax with the knowledge we made a good restaurant choice today. The sauce is tasty. The pasta is just a little al dente. I don't usually like al dente because, to me, it is too chewy. This is just the perfect amount. I now understand pasta done right. Next, I move on to the Sicilian sausage. OMG!!! It is delicious. Lots of zesty spice. I tell Leise I could sit here all day and eat this sausage. Wow is this good!!

As I look up and around to the world outside the restaurant I have a new vision of the world. This new vision includes a restaurant which I will return to again and again.

Leise had ordered the Solimene's House Salad, which consists of arugula, slivered pears, candied walnuts, gorgonzola, raspberry vinaigrette and grilled shrimp... She loved it!

I definitely give the place 4.5 stars for food, 4 star for ambience.

James C. Christopher
ThruJimsEyes.com

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Atlanta, Georgia
“Good but busy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

My husband and I went here for lunch on a Friday afternoon. The place was busy and it's not very big inside. We sat in the cafe section since all the tables were full. The waiter seemed a little overwhelmed and his attitude was not the friendliest however the girl in the cafe was much nicer and helped when he was missing.
I got a pizza and it was pretty good and my husband got an Italian sandwich that he liked.
We would go back again because it is a lot more reasonable price than resort food and the food that we had was good.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Honokaa, Hawaii
“Best Italian Food in the Entire KTA Shopping Center”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

Consistently average. You can order ahead and take it to go. The salads are huge... get one for the table to share. Dishes seem to be the same four ingredients arranged differently without much distinction. The giant plastic water cups always taste like bleach which could mean either they are really clean or poison..... not sure. Bottled beer and funky wine, no liquor. Service has been good on all visits... no sign of Food Network Star contestant Ippy :(

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Waimea, Hawaii
“Italian?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

After reading the reviews we tried for dinner. Portions were ok, but it is not Italian. more like American, meets Hawaii, meets I dont know. Marinara sauce, mozzarella cheese does not make food Italian. Heard one of the sons was on Foodnetwork, hope he got some lessons

Visited September 2011
“Food is worth a visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012 via mobile

Unassuming place. Slow service but good Italian food. Vodka sauce had a lot of flavor. Panini good. A hassle if you have infant because of no high chairs.

• 4 of 5 stars Food