“Money well spent” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Darrin Gee's Spirit of Golf Academy

Darrin Gee's Spirit of Golf Academy
Big Island Country Club, Hapuna Golf Course at the Mauna Kea Resort, Waimea, Island of Hawaii, HI 96743
808-887-6800
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #13 of 18 Activities in Waimea
Type: Golf Courses, Sports
More attraction details
Owner description: Top rated by GOLF Magazine (2008) and Frommer's (2008). For those interested in improving their golf game with an emphasis on the mental approach, Darrin Gee's Spirit of Golf Academy has a signature 2 1/2-hour clinic that helps golfers gain focus and relax under pressure, among other skills. For golfers of all abilities including pure beginners to PGA Tour professionals. Other benefits include discounted golf rounds at partner golf courses. Two Big Island locations.
San Francisco, California
4 attraction reviews
“Money well spent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

I agree with MBcolorado, this academy is not about the mechanics of golf. It's about the mental game. I think golf is more mental then people think it is. You will always have a poor shot, it's overcoming that shot and going on to the next one. Well, after the lesson I shot an 87. Two days before the lesson I shot a 97. My drives were going straight. I parred all 4 par 3's (which I never done in my life) and I was enjoying the game again. I learned a lot from this golf lesson. BTW - we had only 3 people in our class.

Visited April 2012

Los Angeles, California
6 attraction reviews
“Spirit of Golf > "Putting 1-1/2 Hrs".”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

Signed up for "Spirit Of Golf" clinic at Big Island Country Club. I really didn't get what I expected for the $$Pricey Golf Clinic. Wow!....We spent 1-1/2 hours on just putting. It did help me alitte on that aspect of my golf game. But I expected a lot more for this Semi-Private golf lesson.(We had a group of 5)
After the putting marathon. We went to the driving range. Yeah, we really wanted to unload and hit some golf balls. We each had 20-25 range balls to hit> We barely got warmed up. We started hitting a 8 iron for the first 10. Then the last 10 golf balls. The instructor let us pick out our club that we wanted to hit.That was only a 1/2half an hour at the driving range. The instructor barely had enough time to watch each and everyone of us. The 20-25 range balls went super fast. I was hoping to have someone critique my golf swing? Over priced Golf Clinic for what you got. Beautiful golf course though!
Waikola Village Golf Club had a Better deal > 1hour lesson/rental clubs>Golf Cart and a round of golf for $$$ less. Women's lessons were only $25.00....Now figure

Visited July 2011
Durango, Colorado
“What the pros don't teach in the average lesson that every golfer should know”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2011

This academy is not about the mechanics of golf. It's about the mental game, mastering all the outside distractions, negative inner voices, overthinking, underthinking, etc., so you can get up and hit your best shot in the few seconds it actually takes to do it. In 2 -1/2 hours, I picked up enough new information, and how to apply it, to take 8 strokes off my very next round, and not hate myself for the shots that went awry! Well worth the money to me. If you have a decent mechanical game but aren't quite putting a good round together, this clinic is for you.

Visited January 2011
San Francisco, California
“over priced”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2010

this golf instruction is for beginner's only. It consist of 45 mnutes of putting, and hitting 25 range balls on a driving range. The insructor was a nice guy, but reminded his 5 students that 15 to 20 % tip is standard at the beginning of the lesson. The focus is on the mental part of the game. visualizing, pre-shot routine developing your own compfort zone, that kind of thing. Information you can pick up in a good magazine or the golf channel. NO real instruction was given for improving mechanics. I thinki it is probabably a 50 to 100 $ value.