“Friendly folks make a difference !” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Castle Waimea Country Lodge

You added Castle Waimea Country Lodge to your Saves list
Castle Waimea Country Lodge
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   65-1210 Lindsey Road, Waimea, Island of Hawaii, HI 96743   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Waimea
Deerfield, Illinois
“Friendly folks make a difference !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2014

Although the room was aged and the water system sometimes not hot ... still the location in comfortable Hill side Waimea and wonderful friendly people who worked there coupled with the tourist friendly prices made this experience very positive ... definitely not a 4 star accommodation but there are times when 2 or 3 stars do fine and you live to spend more later .. Personally I would and do recommend the place for people seeking reality instead of opulence as from here you can access the most fantastic beaches and Resorts bu not have to pay 4 Star prices... units are big , clean , with comfortable beds , well stocked with pots and cutlery and soap for dishes , ample parking and quiet place on a main road with many shops , restrauants and supermarket near by ...

Room Tip: generally all similar I guess
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2014

Price matters...so we opted for this property for an overnight place to stay while we were in town for funeral services.

Your standards for a dump will be redefined once you checkin.

The service was minimal. The front desk was terse with limited hours of service.

A roach...a cranky guest next door...and a poorly maintained facility...all that was missing was the hooker at the curb.

There is no value here. Do yourself a favor...spend a little more.

I work in the airline industry...I'll be adding this to my oh-no category.

Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2014

Yes, this property is old and seventies but it is kept scrupulously clean and the warm service provided by Doreen was a delight. True Hawaiian welcome and hospitality; I felt honored. My stay was in June so it is telling that I still wanted to write this review (it is now September) to bring some credit to good old fashioned service and warmth. Doreen is a treasure and made the stay a real lovely experience.

Room Tip: Upstairs are quieter with more privacy and windows look to the mountains across an open field.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Hilo, Hawaii, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2014

Castle Resorts should be ashamed they haven't taken cared of this place!!! When I walked into the room I had an immediate flashback of traveling as a kid with my family in the seventies. Everything is very old and outdated. The first room we were given was horrible. It stank of cigarettes, the lamp was broken (lightbulb socket hanging off the base!) and there was a small HOLE in the wall!! I suspect the cigarette smell came from the old carpet, drapes, mattresses and everything else that's old in that room. I asked for another room and the cigarette smell wasn't as strong in this one so was slightly better. The beds and bathroom were VERY clean and shampoo/conditioner and soap are provided, but the single upholstered chair in the room was so filthy it looked like something that was picked up from the dump. Waimea is usually very cool so there isn't any a/c which is fine, but the fan was also very filthy and we were afraid to turn it on. At least the window opened so we got fresh air. We live on the island so got the local discount rate, but if we had to pay full price we would have been sooooooo upset! The first floor rooms are not worth more than $55-$60 a night if even that. I heard the second floor rooms are better but those come with what's labeled as a kitchenette (small fridge and sink in a closet) so cost more. If you're on a budget or want a cheap one-night place to stay I guess this place will do.

Room Tip: Ask for a second floor room though you may have to pay more.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Reston, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

You get what you pay for here. At less than half the average hotel rate in Waimea, this hotel is a good option for people traveling on a budget. If that is your expectation, then you'll be happy. If you think you're going to be at a nice resort, you will be very disappointed.

I read the reviews and knew what we were getting into--this hotel is very dated and kind of falling apart (the veneer on our bathroom door was peeling, we had old stains on the floors, the sheets were getting worn). Old and tired as the room was, it was spotlessly clean. I'd rather have an old, clean room than a fancy, dirty one! And the staff is wonderful. They were full of very helpful advice about things to do and places to eat. I really enjoyed my "talk story" time with them every day.

Should you stay here? Depends on what you're looking for. We ended our 2 week vacation with 3 nights in Waimea. We chose to spend less on the hotel room so that we could go to nice restaurants and do some diving. It was nice to be able to walk to restaurants after 11 days of having to drive everywhere! Waimea is a very cute town, and this hotel puts you right in the center of it. It's a 20 minute drive to Hapuna beach, so if you want to tumble out the door to the beach, this is not the place.

The other guests seemed to mostly be Big Island business travelers and younger (20-something) people. But it was quiet and friendly. Under the same set of circumstances, we'd stay there again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Cincinnati, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

I paid $94.00 (108.88 with taxes) for a weekday night with a AAA discount. The hotel proudly provides internet for an additional $9.95 per night. Due to a maintenance issue, our room was upgraded to a kitchenette, which makes that price a little bit more bearable, but only slightly. I have stayed in a lot of motels and unfortunately this one is on par with some of the most decrepit I have come across in the US. The motel has promise. It has high vaulted wood ceilings and nice views out the back window. But it feels like it has been neglected for many years. The staff was friendly, our linens were clean, we were provided with real glasses (rather than disposable), and the kitchen appliances appeared to be new. But… our bed was ancient (sagging in the middle), the sheets were too short, which meant my feet touched mattress (something I hate), and we were provided with just one dim light to read by. There was no overhead light or light on either side of the bed. Considering it rained during the duration of our time in Waimea, it would have been nice to be able to see in our hotel room. The curtains were disintegrating and so was the bathroom floor. There were crushed spiders on the bathroom window ledge and things that past guests had forgotten under the bed. We were provided with a plug in fan that did not work. Luckily, the room had good cross ventilation but it would have been nice to have the fan in the middle of the night when semi trucks rolled past the hotel, which is situated at a major intersection in Waimea. A fan would also have helped distribute the pervasive thick smell that I would describe as stale air freshener, which was overpowering whenever the wind stopped blowing fresh air through our room. I understand that there are not many places to stay in Waimea; this might help explain how this hotel is able to charge close to $100 per night. I was disappointed, particularly considering that this is a hotel that is not an independent establishment but part of an international company. I think that Castle Resorts & Hotels should be ashamed that they have let this hotel slide into its current state.

Room Tip: Stay close to the office if you can. That's a bit further away from the highway. Make sure you g...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Mountain View, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

The reviews of this place are pretty horrible, so we only picked it because there were no other options less than $200/night. But we were pleasantly surprised.

You need to set your expectations appropriately: this is an old hotel that hasn't been renovated recently. So the carpets and linoleum are worn, and there are a few small stains on the carpet that have accumulated over the years. The mirrors also have small specks on them where the silver backing has come off.

But the basics are there. The rooms are large, the linens are clean, and the beds are comfortable. All of the plumbing and lights worked just fine and the shower was nice and hot.

If you get an upstairs room, with the high peaked wood ceiling, it's actually pretty nice.

The desk staff was very polite and helpful.

Downsides: (1) WiFi is $10/night - so we just used our cell phones. (2) No A/C, but the room has a small portable fan. We set it up in the window to pull in cool air from outside, which worked great. (3) Walls are a bit thin, so if you had noisy neighbors, it might be a problem, as others have commented. We could tell that there were people next door but it didn't bother us.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms have beautiful high wood ceilings and nice views of the mountain.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Castle Waimea Country Lodge? Share your experiences!