“I was stuck for a place to stay, and ended up here....” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Castle Waimea Country Lodge

You added Castle Waimea Country Lodge to your Saves list
Castle Waimea Country Lodge
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   65-1210 Lindsey Road, Waimea, Island of Hawaii, HI 96743   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Waimea
Kelowna, Canada
“I was stuck for a place to stay, and ended up here....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Was my worst experience on the island. Charged me nearly a hundred bucks and I had to kill the cockroaches! The dust and dirt on the bathroom vanity doors had a thickness to it, and when I opened it to check for some TP, I surprised a couple insect visitors that were about 1 1/2" long! The bathroom smelled of mold, the bathtub faucet dripped constantly, and generally speaking, the room was tired and worn out. Smokers were standing outside and all that smell came thru. Got quiet around 10, so that is a positive! I suspect the cats that are roaming around outside were there to control rodents, but didn`t see any of them... Yahhh!

Room Tip: Unless you are like me and couldn`t find anything else, find a different place!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Kalapana, Hawaii
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

This hotel is dirty, and overpriced. We stayed there for one night. This is the first time I have seen a place where the management closes shop at 11pm. The parking lot is dark, there are no lights. The room was spacious, but dated. The tub in the bathroom had a soap scum line just one inch from the bottom, going all around the tub.

Location is convenient, next to gas station and on the main road. But other than that, this place has nothing going for it. I paid $120 per night. If this was a $60 motel, I wouldnt have complained, but they are overcharging for what they deliver. Buyer beware!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Ojai, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

And it never does, you might think, but this is truly the case here :(. This hotel doesn't really cater to tourists and is overpriced for what you get. Despite their claim theat this roadside inn is charming, we found it to be anything but that. Should have read the reviews! Very dated and old, there was a ton of hair on the bathroom floor that we had to clean up before using it. It was spacious, but my husband and I ended up sleeping in separate beds because we didn't fit in one, we are average sized people! The buzz of the fan kept us awake for a couple hours in the night, but there wouldn't have been any sleep without the fresh air circulating through the room. We opted out of the free coffee, being disenchanted with the place overall, it's too bad because Waimea seems like a cool town, but we couldnt wait to get the heck out of that place. On the flip side, the nearby cafe serves up a yummy breakfast with friendly service! You decide!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Kaneohe
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

Smelly, moldy, old food in the parking area strewn about, reception area looked like someone's hundred year old smelly living room, photos on the internet are totally misleading. Threadbare linens, ancient furniture and t.v., lampshade hanging by a thread, I have never seen a hotel room as bad as this. Spent one night and got the heck out of there. Felt deceived by the photos on the internet.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Orange County, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012

We ended up at the Waimea Country Lodge when our B & B plans didn't pan out. We were desperate for lodging, any lodging and ended up at this dump. The travel book said the place was tired but it was worse than tired.

The place was just plain gross. The bathroom was the worst with termite droppings, mold, stains. We didn't even shower. I have to say the place was quiet, the bedding looked clean as did the towels and the TV worked but beyond that, it was awful. We couldn't wait for morning to come so we could leave. As others have posted, we should have kept driving.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Pahoa, Hawaii
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

My friend from the mainland made a reservation as nothing else was available at short notice due to the 19th Annual Cherry Blossom Festival being the following day. After my friend told me about the Waimea Country Lodge I checked the reviews on Trip Advisor. I was shocked - I thought we were in for a noisy, dirty, mouldy and spooky room! Nice surprise - we were upstairs in #117 which was a clean, comfortable room with 2 queen beds and a large bathroom with a tub. Our window looked out over the grassy playground at the back and we were able to open the window to air out the room. TV worked great. A basic "last minute" accomodation that we thought quite good value for an expensive property value community like Waimea, and in a prime location close to shops and restaurants..

Room Tip: Ask for an updated room on the second floor.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Gainesville, FL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012

The one good thing that I can say is that our room was huge. Even with 2 king size beds, it was extremely roomly. We paid $119.00 for one night after visiting Mauna Kea and should have kept driving. It took forever to get hot water. There was mold in the bathroom. Portions of the wood veneer on the bathroom door were missing. The low water pressure made it difficult to flush the toilet. The sheets appeared to be clean, but were rough. The room needed painting. The only wireless service was inside the office or just outside the office.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waimea
Hilo Seaside Hotel
Royal Kona Resort
Royal Kona Resort
#9 of 14 in Kailua-Kona
3.5 of 5 stars 2,138 reviews

Been to Castle Waimea Country Lodge? Share your experiences!