“private comfort with a view” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Golf Villas Mauna Lani

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Waimea
Golf Villas Mauna Lani
68-1310 Mauna Lani Dr, Mauna Lani, Waimea, Island of Hawaii, HI   |
Erie PA
“private comfort with a view”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2010

Extremely comfortable property on the golf course with a great view and card access to a gorgeous beach. The Wassons also run a fantastic B&B in Kailua-Kona called the Honu Kai which is also great. I highly recommend staying at both places for 2 totally different but equally enjoyable experiences. Joanne

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business

18 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
SF Bay Area, Ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2008

We just spent 9 days at the Mauna Lani golf villas. We have gone to the Big Island two summers in a row and have stayed in the same unit. We stayed in unit H1 (found on VRBO) a 3 bd, 3 bath on the 9th tee. It was only my husband, my son, and I this year but last year we brought the grandparents too. It has a really nice layout so that we had plenty of room. It was a beautiful end unit with floor to ceiling windows in the living room and magnificent views. The landscaping is very lush and the grounds are meticulously maintained. The furnishings were top of the line and of impeccable taste, Tommy Bahama, Nautica, and more. High threadcount sheets and towels, pillowtop beds, high end appliances, wine chiller, built-in BBQ, IPOD docks throughout, and a kitchen to die for. Flat screens in every bedroom and the living room. I could go on and on about how impressed I was. Especially since the price was much less than most of the resorts. The townhouse was 2200 sq ft with dedicated parking. Plenty of guest parking as well. The owners have a personal concierge that met us there and made sure we had everything we needed. I have stayed at 5 star resorts that weren't half as nice or had such a high level of service.
The property is right on the golf course and a short walk to the beach. The beach is really nice, chaise lounges and towel service. There's a nice little snack bar and snorkel rental. Snorkeling is surprisingly very good, we saw sea turtles, eels, and lots of fish.
There is a new grocery store at the Mauna Lani shops (about a 15 minute walk from townhouse) and it was upscale but reasonably priced. And a Starbucks next door!
We really liked the location of this townhouse. It was private but not remote. Close enough to get wherever you wanted to go in minutes but not packed in a resort or hotel row like a sardines! I don't think I could stand to stay in a resort after having stayed at the Golf Villas.

• Liked — spectacular place for great price
  • Disliked — can't think of a single thing!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Steamboat Springs
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2008

We were very pleased to rent a unit at this location. Good deal booking directly from the owner. The unit had 3 bedrooms and bathrooms and was on the golf course and a short ten minute walk to a beach.
Only major problem was a roach problem. We contacted the owner and he gave us a phone number to call the exterminator. We called but never received a return call. Spent a week spraying roaches. Nothing like spraying granite counters with roach spray.
The problem with renting from an owner is problems like this may not get handle immediately. In our case not at all.
We also had inaccurate information for opening the gate. The first night another guest entered in front of us which we followed closely behing. The second night when we tried the code no luck. I tried to call the owner but no answer.
After 15 minutes of trying to get in our 10 year old figured out that the # sign should be in FRONT of the code given. Sure would have been a simple thing to provide the guest. But we rented from the owner.
The pool at the property was great and the staff helpful and friendly. The location was fine for driving any direction to all the great beaches.
My only gripe was the roaches and dealing with the wife and kids fear of them. As a younger man (30 years ago) I lived in places with roach problems so it was not that major to me.
We saved money renting from the owner but I question if it would have been better to have gone through a professional management company.
Oh yea. When we got home to Colorado I had three calls on our home voice mail from the exterminator. I had given them my cell number so I wonder who gave them our home telephone number. Lesson - don't expect problems to be taken care of when you rent from the owner.

Been to Golf Villas Mauna Lani? Share your experiences!