“Wow!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Palms Cliff House Inn

You added The Palms Cliff House Inn to your Saves list
The Palms Cliff House Inn
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   28-3514 Mamalahoa Hwy, Honomu, Island of Hawaii, HI 96728   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Honomu
“Wow!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2006

Wow - what a paradise in paradise! Seclusion, serenity, relaxation, healing & calming - all wrapped into impecable service & luxurious comfort! Not to mention the awesome beauty and the fabulous breakfasts.

• Stayed March 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
West Hartford, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2006

We stayed in one of the second floor rooms for three nights just before Thanksgiving. My husband and I have enjoyed 4 and 5 star hotels and top B & B's before, we found the accomodations to be very good. Spotlessly clean and lovely. The room was really decorated to be eye candy. The bed linens are top quality. The matresses and pillows themselves are good but not excellent. The airconditioner is quiet enough and worked well. We enjoyed the great selection of "on line" music.

The hot tub in the window was great! Great to relax in. The balcony was very private with a big cushioned sofa and coffee table.

We found the location to be remote yet convenient to many of the things we wanted to explore. We took the hike to Akaka Falls (Do it!) just 5 or 10 minutes away. Enjoyed the beautiful park and Lili'uokalani gardens in Hilo and Banyan Drive (15 or 20 minutes away) as well as the Hawaiian King statute of Kamehameha. We found it to be a convenient mid-point between the Hilo airport (for the Helicopter ride over the volcanoe and Mauna Kea for the night time star gazing adventure. Actually we could have easily enjoyed an extra day or two to explore all the area has to offer.

I do want to comment on the tone of many of the other reviews on this sight regarding the personability of the management. First of all the cook, Vernice, was honesly one of the very friendliest Hawaiians we met on our 10 day trip. She went extra steps to help us. Sliced up a pineapple for me that I had purchased and put it in a ziplock so that we could enjoy it as we drove around. She also offered many ideas for different venues to visit.

As far as our interactions with the owners, when we were so unfortunate as to have our rental vehicle damaged by a hit and run in Hilo town the owner was thoughtful enough to seek us out to tell us he was sorry that we'd had the accident. Otherwise, I liked the feeling of being very alone so that I could just enjoy my husband and the beautiful surroundings.

For comparison we enjoyed this place more than the Kahala Mandarin Oriental (overpriced and needing renovation) and a little less than Turtle Bay (great hiking, very laid back, wonderful bed).

• Stayed November 2005
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2006

We stayed at the Palms Cliff House at the end of December 2005. First of all yes the setting and the property itself are very beautiful, on a cliff overlooking the sea. However, our experience was far from perfect considering the price we paid (expensive!). First the view from the balcony: most people will want to stay there for a beautifuil view of the sea. We even decided to take a second floor room to optimize our view. Well, like I said, the house and setting are very nice and the landscaping very exquisite. BUT they have all sorts of plants and trees in the backyard where the balconies are. Result? Your view (that could have been extraordinary) is 75% blocked by the vegetation. Why not trimming???? I did not pay big bucks to watch some trees. I want to see the ocean, not just a part of it. I think you must be all made aware of that...

Second, the breakfast. Very ordinary: in fact our plates looked empty and the coffee is weak. And there is only one choice... Also beware if you are a vegeterian (and I know that plenty of you are): if you don't eat meat, they'll just remore the meat from your plate. That's it. No replacements. The first morning, we had a big quiche for breakfast but with bacon in it. So we told them that my wife did not eat meat, the owner offer her (COLDLY) to replace the quiche by a bowl of cereal ! Wow...what a treat! The other morning, there were pork sausages in the plate: solution? the sausages were just removed without beaing replaced by anything... But what is sadly surprising is that they asked you when you check-in if you are allergic to some food or if you don't eat some types of food. So they knew in advance that my wife did not eat meat and they just did not do anything...

And third the owners are VERY cold and not too eager at all to help you out. They conveniently place glasses and a small fridge for the guests. They also said that if we would need plates or stuff they would gladly bring some to us. When we called them to get some plates to eat our supper, they were out so we were stucked.... Why leaving glasses available and no plates and some utensils?? Also January 1st there were no breakfast which is understandable since the staff was off. So we kindly called to have a toaster put in the community room so we could make some toast the next morning. Answer? "No toaster is available for you". That's it. Wow... nice way to talk to and treat your guests.

So a beautiful setting but in our mind overrated and too expensive considering the service and the view. And believe us we are not complainers but I think that if you advertise everywhere on the quality of your place you need to meet the expectation. The Palms Cliff House can be ranked in different magazine as "a top nutch place" but in 2006 most travellers prefer to surf the internet to get the real story (which is the purpose of this site) which is far more useful. I usually always check some sites before reserving a place except for this one time...my mistake. I can see here that I am not the only one feeling the same about this place.

Conclusion: beautiful place but owners don't seem to care very much about their guests who paid a lot of money to lived there. Hopefully the owners will catch the message and stop this sad trend before it is too late...

• Stayed December 2005
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2006

We stayed only one night at the Palms Cliff House after a day trip turned into an overnight stay to go on a Volcano helicopter tour. It was one of the most fun adventures we have ever had. The property is beautiful and was able to accomodate us in a gorgeous 2nd floor room on very short notice (from the heliport when we found out the weather cancelled our helicopter flight and we had to stay over). The setting is classic and the views breathtaking. The proprietors/innkeepers were gracious and actually prepared early breakfast for us as we had an early morning departure so we could make our make-up helicopter tour. Our room was immaculate and the town was quaint and quiet. Just a few minutes from Akaka Falls and just outside of Hilo. Definitely an island flavour in this area. Only thing not great I can say is that because the area is fairly small and somewhat remote dinner is a planned event not much of a chance to just run out and grab a bite. Even though there is a great pizza place up the hill. It was a nice departure from the more formal, yet gracious, Halekulani resort we were staying at in Honolulu.

• Stayed March 2005
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2005

**WE HAVE NOT STAYED AT THE PLANTATION. I HAVE BEEN TO THE FRONT DOOR.**

The reception early this year when we stopped by between 3PM and 5PM just to peek at the place, was hostile. I went to the door to ask, most politely, if a guest room MIGHT be available for viewing, acknowledging how booked up they might be. The owner, I am sure, opened the door, answered the question "No" and just about shut the door in my face.

We live on the Big Island, in South Kohala, the other side of the island. We were thinking of spending a few nights for our anniversary next July, and I was about to call. Then I remembered, never book with a look at TripAdvisor. I note the change in reviews over about 2 years from very positive, to qualified positive, to negative.

I'm in a quandry. We don't want to spend the night at one of the resorts on our side of the Island; we want a base to explore a bit and relax on the other side! Hotels in Hilo are awful (I hear the Naniloa is under new ownership and has renovation plans.) We once stayed in the "second best place" and it was quite nice, but definitely, second best to SOMETHING. Rates accordingly and often booked full.

Recommendations appreciated. Am thinking of going to a volcano B&B.

Stayed October 2005
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2005

On the plus side, the room was beautiful. the food was good, and the employee (cook/server, not an owner) we dealt with was friendly. But I agree with many of the negative comments posted by others.

If this were truly a B&B--and we have tons of experience with first-rate (not necessarily expensive) B&Bs in the U.K. and Europe--then I'd expect the owners to be friendly (if not very friendly), and that was not the case. We never saw one of them, and the only time the other one acknowledged even one of us was at check-in time. (We were there for more than just one day, too.) We've had much friendlier service at big chain hotels.

I also found the "shoes off" policy annoying--I think it was put in the context of the B&B being a "private home"--but that didn't make sense to me given the atmosphere and the fact that the guest areas and owner areas were not shared. Given the $200+ rate being charged, I think that the owners could afford to clean the carpets/floors! And with that rate, please don't charge people 25 cents each time they want to use the in-room safe! It looks cheap! And ... you do need air conditioning. We chose the non-air-conditioned room, and it was not very comfortable. Yes, I know that was our choice, but we were led to believe that it would be cool enough. (A/C is another feature that a much cheaper hotel would have included automatically.)

Also, we were told both in the written descriptions and orally that serving breakfast is restricted to a 20-minute period, which I didn't find relaxing at all.

In short, while there were some pluses to this place, it simply did not deliver good value for money. We stayed elsewhere on the island and had more extensive facilities, friendlier service, and more flexibility for a lower price.

• Stayed October 2005
Walnut Creek, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2005

The room was gorgeous, exactly as shown online. We had such a relaxing time reading on our balcony and staring out across the ocean, as well as drinking wine in the jacuzzi in our room! The setting was unbeatable, and the breakfasts were delicious - very gourmet. The young women working there were very sweet and friendly. However, we got the vibe that the owners would REALLY prefer we not be there. The male owner actually picked up his pace and ducked through a door and locked it behind him once when we approached. We were just suprised and disappointed with how "avoided" we felt. Also, I agree with another tripadvisor reviewer's comments about the heat. We got to our room and it was probably 90 degrees. We turned on the a/c and left for two hours so it could cool down. All in all, the good food and the incredible rooms/setting make it totally worth it.

• Stayed October 2005

Been to The Palms Cliff House Inn? Share your experiences!