“Luxurious accommodations and personalized service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Waianuhea Bed & Breakfast

You added Waianuhea Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
Waianuhea Bed & Breakfast
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   45-3503 Kahana Dr, PO Box 185, Honokaa, Island of Hawaii, HI 96727   |
Ranked #2 of 7 Honokaa B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Salt Lake City, UT
“Luxurious accommodations and personalized service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2010

I took my 11-year-old daughter to Hawaii last month. I'd never been there and so I really did my research. I wanted to stay away from resorts and such, and have more of a retreat/adventure-type vacation. After looking at cost versus value around the island, I decided we wanted to stay at Waianuhea.
Before we had even arrived, I'd had several conversations with the staff. You know; the typical plan-freak that I am, I wanted to make sure I understood full well what kind of amenities and such that we would have access to. They always knew who I was (that I was a young woman traveling alone with my young daughter). They knew me by name and obtained our preferences for meals. They were cheerful and helpful before we ever arrived.
Then I must say that the only slight drawback was that we drove in at night and it was very difficult to find in the dark. Moreover, Taylor and I were remembering scenes from the freaky woods in Harry Potter as we made our way up what seemed like endlessly creepier dirt roads. However, in the morning it looks quite different and we were able to see why the out-of-the-way location was actually a positive thing.
The next morning we met Randy and Sonya (spelling, ladies? I'm sorry!) They were so sweet and accommodating and got us anything we needed. It was the best place. I wanna go back and spend another week or so.
One huge thing I wanted to say about the people at Waianuhea is that my daughter and I are not your typical bed-and-breakfasters. We'd reserved the largest suite and I was a little concerned that they might look down their noses at us as not being the normal clientelle. Not so. They were so sweet and accommodating. This is the best place I'ved ever stayed and I know my daughter feels the same. Thanks Randy and Sonya! You made Erika and Taylor's Hawaiian vacation relaxing and laid back.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Chicago,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2010

Waianuhea was truly a little piece of paradise! The location is remote - you'll have to drive to any restaurants or attractions you want to go to - but I thought that was part of the appeal. It's isolated enough to make you feel like you're really getting away from it all but also not too far from beaches, hiking and waterfalls.

This B&B is immaculate - probably the cleanest place I've ever stayed at. Randy, Ginger and the rest of the staff had the perfect balance between offering complete hospitality but not being in any way overbearing. We enjoyed an after-hours soak in the hot tub, nights of wine and homemade pupus and the delicious dinner, which was definitely a good value for the price. The chef is a really interesting guy -- we enjoyed learning about him and the farm where he grows part of your meal. And their "honor bar" is a great way to pick up a midnight snack despite their somewhat remote local.

Honestly, when I read the reviews on Tripadvisor before we went I wondered how this place could be as great as everyone described. Now, I'm so happy to say I've lived it! If our luck holds, we will be back here someday.

San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2010

The property is truly beautiful. We stayed in the suite which was huge with a sitting room and dining area. The furniture was very nice - comparable to a 5 star hotel, the bed was comfortable and the bathroom large. The wine hour is a very nice touch and the appetizers were very good (and generous selection). We also had the chef prepare a 4-course dinner for us. The food was excellent and an incredible bargain at $58/person. Given the remote location of the inn, if you want a gourmet dinner one evening, the chef is definitely the way to go.

sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2010

Waianuhea was beautifully designed and maintained. Grounds were immaculate as was the accommodation. Quiet and peaceful with the most amazing room for yoga practice. Breakfast was gourmet, superb and dietary requests were not a problem at all. The staff were wonderful, friendly and knowledgeable. We would definitely stay again! This was the last night of our 3 week trip and we could have stayed quite a few more day more...
Remember to print out the map as it is off the main roads and the local Big Island touring map did not have the road on it. i had to ring fir directions but the staff were extremely helpful and patient with giving directions..thank-you Ginger!

Boulder
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2010

This bed and breakfast is extraordinary. Keep the faith as you drive up the winding road and you'll be rewarded. The entire property is beautiful and very well maintained. Our dinner was perfection as were the breakfasts. The only negative is that it is far to drive to restaurants but eating "in house" solves that.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2010

It's been almost one month since our visit to Wainuahea and I keep drifting back in my mind despite being back to work and the daily grind. Wainuahea was a gorgeous place with a warm ,welcoming spirit. The staff was very attentive and gracious. We loved the comfortable rooms and large baths. The inn is in the mountains with beautiful distant ocean views on one side and Mauna Kea on the other. There was no better place than the hot tub at night to view the stars and unwind. The breakfast were delicious and such a treat! Every morning we marveled at the gourmet delights! And the flowers! There were stunning flower arrangements in every room. Suprisingly, Wainuahea is close to lots of key areas and the north Kohala beachs. Waimea is an easy drive through pretty pasture lands and the Waipio Valley is a short distance from the Inn. You will not be disappointed when you stay here. It is a very special place.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Arlington Heights, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2010

We found this place while looking for a B&B that was on the north side of the Big Island so that we would not waste all of our time driving around. If you want to see the waterfalls, the gardens, and the Waipio Valley, and want a base up north, here is a good place for you. Do not attempt to find this place for the first time in the dark. We only stayed one night, and came in as dusk was falling. We elected not to drive down the mountain into town for dinner. Apparently, we are not the first guests to do this, since their kitchenette was well stocked with vegetarian frozen entrees, for which they charge you a small fee. If this is your cup of tea, you are set for dinner. The night we were there, we were the only guests. We had this huge house all to ourselves once the staff left. Our soak in the hot tub alone on the mountainside under the stars was one of the true highlights of our entire trip. There was a curious horse in the pasture next door that was making noise checking us out! The website for this place has great and accurate photographs of the rooms and house. The house is even more attractive than depicted. It's an interesting space, and hard to capture the feel in two dimensions. In the morning, we had a breathtaking view of the summit of Mauna Kea from the breakfast room. As the only two guests, we dined on the truly abundant and gourmet breakfast in the bathrobes provided. This meal alone was worth a substantial proportion of the fee charged. They have a great selection of DVDs, so if you want to catch a film, here's a chance to do so. Other reviewers have pointed out that there are not many places to eat near here. There ARE several places in Honokaa, it's just that the drive would be very interesting in the dark if you're not a local. Also, none of these places are gourmet resort restaurants. But if that's what you want, you won't find yourself up here, now will you? The website emphasizes the off-the-grid nature of their electrical power. My husband wants me to mention that this is all completely transparent to you as a guest. There's internet, hot water, the hot tub, basically everything you would expect to have in this class of lodging. This side of the island deserves more of our time, and on a future visit, I would stay here again to explore.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Waianuhea Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!