We spent nights in this hotel, and 3 days later came back for another night. Unfortunately all king size bed rooms were booked, we only managed to get a king size bed on our first night and 2 single beds the other 2 nights.
Here is my short pros and cons of this hotel:
- very clean
- family run, very friendly staff as well as very informative (thank you for all the tips)
- fresh papayas and apple bananas from their own amazing garden were available 24hours a day, you could take as many as you liked for no charge. We lived off these fruits for 3 days we were there!
- on site garden with lush vegetation, benches to relax in and areas to go for a walk (too bad mosquitoes were nasty :( there was even a BBQ there for those that felt the need to grill.
- fresh pastries every morning with coffee
- free WIFI (login and password instructions available in every room)
- king size bedroom was very nice, bathrooms clean and the kitchenette with everything you needed to make any meal (plates, utensils, pots and pans)
- frogs, crickets, birds chirping at night, (very loud), but we got used to it (there are ear plugs in every room for those that are sensitive
- this hotel uses composter and urges you to keep banana peels etc separate to make compost...very green! I did not see and recycling bins, so I hope staff sorts through the garbage
- the first room we had was quiet in the morning, meaning you weren't woken up by other guests deciding to have a full blown conversation right in front of your window. But the other room we had for 2 nights, we could hear talking from the reception below and all around (no sleeping in!)
- the king size bed room was nice, but the other 2 nights we had 2 single beds (which staff pushed together for us and even moved our bags for us from room to room). They placed soft foam on top of the beds making the bed very comfy, but our last night, they forgot to push them together (which wasn't a big deal), but that's when you feel the rock hard beds since there was no foam on the beds
- decor is somewhat outdated, but who cares, we just cared that the rooms were clean
- some people might complain that there is no AC, but there is really no need for it, the air is cool at night. Fans are provided though.
All in all, super friendly and knowledgeable staff, tasty treats and fresh fruits, beautiful gardens to relax in, and cozy rooms made this stay a memorable one. Would definitely come back!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Seasoned guidance for a wide range of Big Island adventures. Walking distance to downtown Hilo. Clean quiet & reasonable. All rooms with kitchens. Free WiFi Internet available. Rated nicest small hotel in Hilo. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity and Expedia so you can book your Dolphin Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dolphin Bay Hilo, Hawaii
- Dolphin Bay Hotel Hilo