“Great waves” 5 of 5 stars

Off Highway 19, 2 miles north of Hilo, Hilo, Island of Hawaii, HI 96720
Improve this listing
Ranked #32 of 66 things to do in Hilo
More attraction details
Owner description: Great for body-boarding, surfing and sun-bathing, but not a good swimming place.
Stoughton, Massachusetts
“Great waves”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

I was there with family for a few hours one afternoon. They go there regularly to surf. It is a beautiful place with plenty of space. Nice beach of to the left at the bottom of the stairs. Great place to look for seaglass, as mentioned in other reviews. The surf is great for surfing and body boarding, and there are signs to tell you the area to surf in according to your skill level.

To the right at the bottom of the stairs is a nice, large, grassy area with picnic tables.
There were quite a few green sea turtles in the water near the shore. I was told that when the turtles are around, there are no sharks!

Visited March 2012

San Diego, California
26 attraction reviews
“Killer Surf Break”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2011

If you like to surf, this is the spot to surf! Great reefbreak, super mellow crowd, warm water, fun waves. What more can you ask for?

Visited October 2011
Ashburn, VA
22 attraction reviews
“Great place to find seaglass!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2010

I love seaglass and did a bit of research before heading to the big island. From what I could find, this beach seemed like my best bet. We stopped here around 2pm on a Friday in mid-November 2010. We parked in the lot and walked along the road to the stairway leading down to the beach. When we got to the bottom of the stairs, we went left. You have to traverse a very rocky area to make it to the sand and shore break. I wore flip flops (sandals/slippers) and it made for a very difficult walk. There were a few people sunning themselves here and a few more riding the waves. We only had time for about a 20-30 min visit. I did check out the view (which was beautiful), but mostly focused on trying to find seaglass. Success!! I found a pretty good amount (a palm full) in just the short time we were there. While we were there, another group of people showed up and were looking for seaglass as well. Most of the pieces I found were small, but I did come across a piece that was a bit bigger than a quarter. I have all my glass proudly displayed at home - it is a beautiful reminder of my trip to Hawaii.