“good for lunch” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Hilo Bay Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 212 Restaurants in Hilo
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Japanese, American, Contemporary, Bistro, Hawaiian
Massachusetts
“good for lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

My wife and i stopped in for lunch and were not disappointed. She had a salad and I had a cheeseburger. Both were fresh and delicious, and the burger was perfectly cooked as ordered. Service was excellent and friendly.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

Laredo, Texas
“What's the fuss?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

We read the reviews online and thought the place was going to be a good experience. Wrong! The restaurant is in a strip mall near a Walmart. Not a problem with Walmart shoppers, but I find a nice restaurant like this is stated to be in a silly place.
I wasn't impressed with the inside decorations and I thought the food was average at best. The selection of foods was okay, but I wouldn't suggest it to my friends.

• Visited February 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“its good but the raves on here arent worth it”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

The staff is friendly and the food was fresh. However I wouldnt say that it was delicious or amazing. Maybe for what you can find in a small town like HIlo this is a five star restaurant but for someone who has travelled globally I have to say that it is an ok restaurant. It is rare to find a place that gives you enough food, charges you the right price and provides the culinary delight on top of it. I think that the portions we got were small. I left the restaurant hungry after ordering the egg plant. My mother got the french onion soup which was more like I cup than a bowl and there were two giant pieces of bread in the soup. French onion soup is supposed to have croutons in it not big pieces of bread. It left her hungry too. My dad had the steak and it looked good and the portion seemed decent on that one. So please folks lets not go overboard on amazing, hidden gem and all that when this is a an ok restaurant.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Palo Alto, California
“Hidden gem in Hilo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Stopped for dinner about 6:00 with no reservation and got the last table before the rush! Very friendly service and speedy too. Everything we ordered was delicious the poke,salads and special egg plant. The best food we had in Hilo

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Great find!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Thanks to Trip Advisor we had a great lunch today. We would have never found this place without TA and I was glad reviewers mentioned it's strip mall setting so I was aware this wasn't a book to be judged by its cover. We arrived about 11:30 a.m. for an early lunch and were seated immediately. The staff was very pleasant and helpful, answering our questions about the menu. We were pleased with the ahi poke...our first poke!...and the ono fish and chips were even better!

• 4 of 5 stars Food