“Great Malasadas from Breakfast!, But Skip The Restaurant For Lunch” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Banyan's Restaurant and Bar

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #139 of 206 Restaurants in Hilo
Gagetown, Canada
“Great Malasadas from Breakfast!, But Skip The Restaurant For Lunch”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

I was there twice. It was located between the big hotels on Banyan Drive.

The Malasadas are great as advertised. A Malasada is a thick Portuguese style donut.
Traditionally it is eaten with just sugar on top but local variations are endless. The cook them on site and start to come out fresh and hot at about 8 am. I was a donut baker for 5 years and consider myself a self appointed donut snob. These were great.

HOWEVER

I had lunch there as well. It is not very good. The tables have no placemats, meaning silverware goes on the table and yet when people left the restaurant the tables were not cleaned. (Danger sign) I had a native pork dish with onions ($6) and the fish and chips ($16). The pork dish was interesting it would have been a full meal had I ordered rice.

The fish and chips were a good value as they had four pieces of fish on the plate and a ton of fries. However I found the fish…fishy tasting. I usually get that taste when the fish is not fresh.
I had the same fish the day before in another restaurant and raved about it. I think the fish may have been frozen. It is too bad because the batter was pretty good.

If I had a do over I would go to the upscale hotel next door, the Hilo Hawaiian, the price for their fish and chips was the same $16.

Randy S

• Visited March 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Kissee Mills, Missouri
“Good Food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

We were "stuck" at Uncle Billy's hotel next door, so opted to go to Banyan's for a hot breakfast. The menu was limited, and the restaurant was empty on Sunday morning, but we selected the breakfast sandwiches, which were hot and tasty and served with fresh fruit. Our server was chatty and pleasant - and we enjoyed her company.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Cooma, Australia
“An interesting lunch”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

Stopped here for lunch while on tour with Discover Hawaii Tours. It was an early lunch (11.15am) and we were the second of two buses to stop there. The restaurant is nice and airy but basic. There was a guy playing a guitar and singing, he wasn't too bad, although a bit loud. We were seated and orders taken. The menu is quite limited, but my son and I ordered the teriyaki burger each and drinks. It took a while for the orders to come out, and then they only bought out one burger. They realised their mistake, and went off to cook the other burger. The drinks would not have arrived at all if we didn't query their absence. The waitress did apologize for the mix up, saying they were not used to having two buses turn up together. They don't have restrooms, but you are directed over to the nearby hotel to use their restrooms in the lobby. We didn't spend much time in the 'big island' but it definitely is more 'countrified' than Honolulu, so maybe don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Kapolei, Hawaii
“Awful experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

We went to this restaurant for breakfast during the week. There were not many people there when we arrived. The waitress took our order relatively quickly. There are only a few choices on the menu. We then waited 40 minutes and no food. This is breakfast... its not complicated. They never checked on us or explained the long wait. When I went over and asked how much longer, she said it was almost done. Another 10 minutes later, our food came out cold. We left and went to Ken's, which is infinitely better.

• 1 of 5 stars Food
Rochester, New York
“Great Malasadas!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

I regret that I discovered this place the last day we were in Hilo. We went for breakfast. The place was big and airy and comfortable. Our host, Wilson, sat us near the open window. He was so nice and friendly! He recommended we try the malasada, which is baked on the premise fresh everyday. I've never had malasada before so of course we were sold. They are like doughnut, only a bit chewy but soft, square instead of round and can be sweet or savory and very delicious! We tried the strawberry and nutella, apple and cream cheese, and dulce de leche. All were very fresh, soft,tasty and sinful!! Of course we also ordered Hawaiian breakfast...your choice of meat, in my case, Portuguese sausage, 2 eggs over medium and rice. This Hawaiian breakfast is so yummy I know i'll crave them for weeks when we go back to NY!! We ordered to go more malasadas. I ordered more apple filled, apple and cream cheese, jalapeno and cheese and pepperoni and cheese. All yummy! I forgot to order another strawberry and nutella for my son and he was disappointed !
When you go to Hilo, try this place and be sure to try their malasada. It is right next to Castle Hilo Hotel in Banyan drive.

Visited September 2013