“It's okay, but service is slow” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #124 of 206 Restaurants in Hilo
Cuisines: American
Hilo, Hawaii
“It's okay, but service is slow”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

When this Zippy's first opened, I heard that the service was great, but it seems management is trying to save money by reducing staff, for the service is now typically Big-Island slow. The food was satisfactory and the prices reasonable for the Big Island. It has a window and open door to the Mall, so one can people-watch if seated at the appropriate table.

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Waimea, Hawaii
“First and Perhaps Last.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

Went to have lunch here, menu is huge, but a bit too much. Took about 15 mins. for our server to come and take our order, then another 30 mins. to get our order. Also ordered the large Iced Tea, figured for $3.25 each, and free refills was a good deal. Unfortunately we had to ask for a refill, and this was when we were close to leaving. Food was okay, and service was slow. Possibly because our server seemed a little overwhelmed. It's okay, but I think they may still be working out training for wait staffing, and cooking. Probably not returning.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Truckee, California
“Great breakfast, great service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

What else do you need, fair price, great breakfast excellent friendly service. Easy to find right off the main road near Ross.

Visited May 2014
Lake Forest, California
“Not what I expected but not bad either...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

Let me start out by saying that so many people were excited that Zippy's was coming to the Big Island of Hawaii. Most locals have been exposed to Zippy's from the times they have gone to ones on Oahu. But we had never been to one so when we found ourselves on that side of the island we felt compelled to give it a shot.

OK, that being said...let me just say that it was not what I expected. The hype did not live up to the result. I ordered a Mushroom Burger and onion rings. That was about 12 bucks so I expected a BURGER...you know what I am talking about. A big juicy burger with lots of grilled up mushrooms. What i got was a semi-dried out burger that was thin and lacking of flavor. I also got a lackluster showing of mushrooms that left much to the imagination. My son ordered a Teri Beef Burger. Honestly it looked exactly the same as mine only his tasted like Teriyaki and not mushrooms. Same thin, semi-dried out patty with a small piece of lettuce, a few tomatoes and some raw onions. My other son order a Pastrami Sandwich with fries. That was no Pastrami Sandwich. For the price of almost 11 bucks that Pastrami should have been piled high. Instead it was two pieces of white toast with a few layers of meat. C'mon Zippy's you can do better than that.

They also should be ashamed of themselves for charging that much for some sodas. I went with my 2 kids so we ordered 3 sodas. The total cost for 3 average sodas...over 10 dollars!! I was blown away when I got the bill.

Overall a very nice restaurant with great decor. They even have a little old local guy playing the Ukelele and singing traditional songs to the guests. The food could be improved...as well as the speed of delivery. Two burgers and one sandwich and we waited like 25 minutes for our food.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Seattle, Washington
“Quick, local style”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

Quick friendly service for local style food. All the favorites, Saimin, teri beef sandwich, mac salad and hotdog and chili plate. Deserts are delicious.

Visited May 2014