“Awesome food” 5 of 5 stars

Good for: Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
“Awesome food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

This place is a hole-in-the-wall. It has like 3 tables. But wow! The food is amazing, and I don't even like Indian inspired food. I wasn't even hungry when I sat down either. But I ended up inhaling the food because it was so good. First, not much selections for kids. My son ate some fried dumplings. He liked it but we could tell it was a bit overfried. I ordered the fried fish, curry rice and salad. Wow! amazing food. It was really really great. Tasty rice. Fish was fresh and mildly flavored. The salad had a light dressing that I enjoyed very much. Our server was very friendly. Although we ate there for lunch, it's a great place to grab a takeout lunch (bento) and take it on your way to Volcano National Park.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Kaliua, HI
“Go early if you want a bento”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012 via mobile

We got takeout from puka puka and took it to our hike at Akaka Falls. I'd call our food high brow plate lunch. I had ahi katsu or some kind of fish and garlic rice since they were out of white rice, and green papaya slaw. My kids ate most of the fish so I think it was really good. The slaw was great, fresh and tangy and a great compliment to the rice and food. My husband had BBQ chicken which we expected to be Hawaiian style BBQ but instead got Cajun style chix.
The restaurant is really tiny. Order your food to go and take it to any great Hilo site.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Great lunch!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

We stopped at Puka Puka Kitchen and picked up Bento boxes for our day at Kilauea. It was a great plan, and the food was delicious. Service was friendly, prices were very, very reasonable, and all together, this made for a perfect picnic lunch.

Visited July 2012
Dublin, California
“Small but good!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

Small dining area but the service is fast and the food is good. Easy to walk to from Dolphin Bay hotel.

Visited July 2012
“Awesome food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012 via mobile

Puka puka is a small place but puts out crazy good food!! Plan to take out!!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere