“4 visits in one month!” 4 of 5 stars

Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
“4 visits in one month!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Actually, we are off to Miyo's again. the food is great...the only thing is that you have to work to make sure that the serving staff doesn't forget you, or forget to bring your tea or water. the restaurant is conveniently located. The food is consistently good. Their salads are fresh and beautifully presented, and I personally love their dressing. Everyone has a good time every time we go there.

Visited April 2013

Hilo, Hawaii
“Long Wait”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

On Wednesday, we ate at Miyo's in Hilo. We arrived at 11:15 only to find the place packed with people but luckily we made reservations. As the place was packed inside and outside, service was slow. After taking our orders, we had our meeting which took only about 10 minutes. Unfortunately we waited over half an hour to get our meals. I wasn't impressed with the amount of food of my order, the teriyaki beef was a little tough. The food had a good flavor but for the price I expected more food than we got. If you plan to eat there, go earlier than 11 am or early dinner. I honestly won't be going there anytime soon.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Brooksville, Maine
“Really good local Japanese food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

In the last two days, we have eaten dinner and lunch at Miyo's at their new location. The service was very friendly although it was a little harried at dinner due to a big crowd. The food is really good. I had grilled Hamachi with sautéed eggplants, salad and rice and my husband had a bento box with tempura and broiled Saba. We went back for lunch today and I had a bento box lunch with grilled Saba, a cold tofu salad with seaweed and shrimp and vegetable tempura. Everything was delicious. They don't serve alcohol so you may bring your own.
The new location isn't as picturesque but it seats more people and is a light, comfortable space. There is plenty of parking. I would make a reservation for dinner because it is very popular.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Hilo, Hawaii
“better than other "Japanese" places in Hilo”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

New location, same bad service. The staff almost seems inconvenienced to help you. Be prepared to wait and wait, even though there is about ten cooks in the open kitchen. The tempura was not crispy but oily and the dipping sauce was not flavorful. The sesame chicken had a tasty sauce but was over cooked, same with the pork tonkatsu. The portions were small for the guys who ordered the three choice bento boxes. The waitress never re-filled our water. Would have liked hot tea with the meal.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Kaneohe
“Good Local Japanese Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

First time eating at Miyos was a very good experience. Friendly staff and good affordable Japanese food. My wife had the tempura and teriyaki chicken combination. I had the tempura and sashimi combination. Both included rice, a very fresh salad with a nice light dressing, miso soup, and hot tea. All delicious. I was most impressed with the freshness of the sashimi and vegetables. I suggest reservations just in case it gets crowded. We were there during the annual Merry Monarch hula competition which may have accounted for the large number of people eating there. But with food so good, it could be the norm. And that was for lunch. I imagine more people eat there at night. Very comfortable eating environment for small or large number of diners. Located across the street from Big Island Candy Company.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere