“Eh” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
New Jersey
“Eh”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

I'd been craving sushi for our entire trip to Hawaii (okay, only a week!) so we decided to try Miwa. What a disappointment. I think this restaurant caters only to the regulars. It was after 8:00 when we arrived and the place was fairly empty. We sat down and got menus and then no one would take our order. Finally the waitress came over. Although we eat sushi all the time, we were a little confused by the menu because most items were listed by the Japanese name and no English descriptions were given. So I had a couple of questions for the waitress, and she treated me like an idiot. When I ordered a tuna roll she asked if I knew it was raw fish!

The food came reasonably quickly. I ordered salmon teriyaki, which was mediocre. The sushi was much better, though. However, the waitress vanished once we had the food. I wanted more tea and literally couldn't get anyone to bring it. (and again, the restaurant was nearly empty) Finally the sushi chef noticed that we were completely aggravated and flagged down our waitress.

Meanwhile a couple came in, obviously regulars. We had gotten our check and were ready to pay. Our waitress walked right by us so that she could quickly take their order, leaving us waiting once again.

Atrocious service. There must be a sushi restaurant in town with better service, or else go to the Kona side, but avoid this place at all costs. Not sure why I bothered with this review since this restaurant obviously does NOT want tourists!

Visited August 2011

76% Recommend
Rochester, New York
“Hole in the wall, but a good find.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2011

Helped open the place for dinner. We were the first to arrive after a full day of driving and exploring the sights around Hilo. It was probably good that we forgot to pack a lunch because by late afternoon we were really looking forward to a good dinner. The reviews on this site set our expectations high and we weren't disappointed.

Ordered the sushi moriawase and daily special of charbroiled hamachi. The sushi rice balls were smaller than we usually get, but everything was quite tasty and the waiter asked if we wanted the wasabi under the fish or on the side. That won my wife's heart as she loves wasabi and gave her the chance to ask for a double dollop on the side.

Accompanied by a tall shared cold Sapporo and we were good to go. The only disappoinment was my own for not asking the price of the daily special. Aside from that shock, would definitiely return to sample more of their fare.

• Visited March 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Brownsville, Oregon
“Great sushi, not fancy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2011

We searched out this little Japanese restaurant because we didn't have reservations at the more famous Japanese restaurant in town. Its location is strip mall, and its decor is pretty basic. The service was good, and we got our food very quickly (almost too quickly, before I finished my soup and salad). Their food was great! I had miso soup, which was a rich broth with great spicing. Then I had beef teriyaki, which was tender and flavorful (although I would have preferred the meat in chopstick-friendly format). My husband, a fan of raw fish, had sushi, and he said this restaurant ranked high on his list of sushi places. The nigiri sushi was delicate and beautiful, and was very fresh. I had a California roll, which quite tasty. If you're looking for great sushi and teriyakii but aren't as interested in a swanky setting, this is your place.

• Visited January 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hawaii
“awesome japanese food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2010

I have been taking my daughter for years to Miwa.. we love the delicious chicken katsu, teri beef and fresh fish. We enjoy having Kyle as our server as he smiles every time he serves us our main dish, sushi and great drinks. we enjoy the taste of their fruit punch. We always try different types of sushi as they have so many varieties to choose from.. We like going their because the food is so tasty and the atmosphere is so nice...They also have a great full bar with many mix drinks. Everyone should try to eat there they will be very happy with a great experience you can find in the heart of Hilo Hawaii and our original Hilo Shopping Center.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Good Japanese food, small portions though”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2008

Good Japanese food, small portions though