“Felt like home” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Old Hawaiian B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hilo
The Old Hawaiian B&B
Save Saved
You added The Old Hawaiian B&B to your Saves list
1492 Wailuku Drive, Hilo, Island of Hawaii, HI 96720   |
Ranked #4 of 18 Hilo B&B and Inns
gatlinburg, TN
“Felt like home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I needed a place to stay for a couple of days and really enjoy B&Bs. I chose this one based on the reviews. It lived up to the wonderful reviews! It was a quaint house, beautiful property and the breakfasts were incredible! It was close enough to Hilo, yet you would never feel you were in a city. The walls are a little thin, so you can easily hear your neighbor if they are loud, but that will be common in some of the older houses.. didn't bother me and wasn't really bad...
The room was clean, comfortable and the host Lory is super sweet! Thank you!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Hilosunshine, Owner at The Old Hawaiian B&B, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Thank you for staying with us, the kind words and taking the time to write a review. I love to share my home and baking with my guests and am happy that you enjoyed your stay. Hope to see you on your next visit to Hilo.

Lory

121 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

My wife and I stayed for 2 days, but wish we had booked our entire time here. B&B is in a quiet suburb with a river in the back. B & B is between Rainbow and Boiling Pots state parks and the property is like a nature park. Room was large and very clean. Bathroom was tiled and spotless with a shower and sunken tub. The owner still likes being a B&B hostess. Met us on arrival(even offered to help with our bags). Serves fantastic breakfasts and visits with guests over breakfast. Many of the breakfast fruits are raised on site. The owners are very organized and can support most needs. Have flashlights for volcano tours, umbrellas, restaurant advice book, etc. They have thought of most everything.

Room Tip: Our room was on the far right at the back of the home, facing the woods.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hilosunshine, Owner at The Old Hawaiian B&B, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Aloha,
Thank you for staying with us and writing a review for us. Hope to see you on your next trip to Hilo.

Lory
Daytona Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We were looking for a B&B to stay in Hilo for one night (hard to find in Hilo) and found the Old Hawaiian Inn B&B.

Our room was the Hawaiian Room - very spacious and comfortable. It is in a quiet location and within walking distance of Rainbow Falls and the Boiling Pots. The breakfast was magnificant - best scones I have ever had, delicous tropical smoothies, yogurt, fresh Hawaiian fruit, and eggs. Wish our visit could have longer -- maybe next time.

Room Tip: Hawaiian room is a nice large size with windows looking out into a nicely landscaped backyard.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Woodinville, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

My husband and I stayed one night in Hilo and chose this B & B. I wish it had been longer. Our room was so comfy, bright & cheery and looked out onto a wonderfully manicured spacious yard. The breakfast included native fruits and baked goods - excellent! The location is quiet, secluded and perfect for traveling to the local sites including the Mauna Kea Observatory and local markets. The owners, Lory & Stewart, were gracious hosts and readily shared their wealth of information about the area with us. Our next trip to Hilo will definately include several nights @ this B & B. Without hesitation I would highly recommend The Old Hawaiian B&B.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

This is a nice, quiet B&B up in the hills above downtown Hilo near the Boiling Pots. Owner Lory is extremely friendly and she prepares great baked goods along with awesome fruit (mostly from her garden) for breakfast. Rooms are clean, although the linen had a slight stale water odor. Since you're higher up the mountain, the air is cooler and not as muggy as it is down near the ocean- so it's much more pleasant at night. The room at ground level is more isolated and hence there's a little more privacy than the two rooms located off the backyard lanai. Breakfast is at 8am and is a sit down with the other guests in the B&B. This can be nice social event to interact with other people and hear their stories. It's a pleasant walk up to Boiling Pots, but the pots themselves are not that impressive. Cost is slightly less than the B&B closer to downtown Hilo, so that's a plus, but you do have to drive up the mountain to get to this quiet neighborhood. The neighborhood has an active plan to isolate the coqui frogs away from the homes, so evenings are very quiet.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

We stayed one night here while exploring the Hilo. The house was beautiful, the room was spacious and the hosts were wonderful! Lory made us a delicious breakfast, and what I loved the best was that almost all of the fruits used came from her garden!! The house is just a few minutes away from the Boiling Pots State Park and Rainbow falls park, so it made exploring those areas really easy. I had left my phone charger in my room, and when I called Lory after we left Hilo, she found it and sent it to me at home without questions!! I highly recommend this place for all travelers!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Hilosunshine, Owner at The Old Hawaiian B&B, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Thank you for all the kind words. I am so happy that you enjoyed your short stay with us. Hope to see you on your next visit to Hilo.

Lory and Stewart
Ushuaia, Argentina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

Like other reviewers, I have nothing but praise for the Old Hawaiian B&B! My boyfriend and I enjoyed a four-night, relaxing stay and had a wonderful time. Lory and her husband (and their dog, Cinder) were extremely welcoming! Breakfast was fresh and delicious, and the room was spacious, clean, and comfortable. I would highly recommend the Old Hawaiian for anyone staying in Hilo!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Old Hawaiian B&B? Share your experiences!