This is a nice, quiet B&B up in the hills above downtown Hilo near the Boiling Pots. Owner Lory is extremely friendly and she prepares great baked goods along with awesome fruit (mostly from her garden) for breakfast. Rooms are clean, although the linen had a slight stale water odor. Since you're higher up the mountain, the air is cooler and not as muggy as it is down near the ocean- so it's much more pleasant at night. The room at ground level is more isolated and hence there's a little more privacy than the two rooms located off the backyard lanai. Breakfast is at 8am and is a sit down with the other guests in the B&B. This can be nice social event to interact with other people and hear their stories. It's a pleasant walk up to Boiling Pots, but the pots themselves are not that impressive. Cost is slightly less than the B&B closer to downtown Hilo, so that's a plus, but you do have to drive up the mountain to get to this quiet neighborhood. The neighborhood has an active plan to isolate the coqui frogs away from the homes, so evenings are very quiet.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Old Hawaiian B&B is a two story 'Olde Hawaiian Style' home located on 1/2 acre of gorgeous landscaped grounds, backing onto State-owned land, and the Wailuku River. It is situated in one of the most peaceful and tropical areas of Hilo, and only two blocks from the Boiling Pots Park, which has an overlook of the river. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- The Old Hawaiian Bed And Breakfast
- The Old Hawaiian Hotel Hilo
- The Old Hawaiian B&B Hilo, Hawaii