“Wonderful!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Old Hawaiian B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hilo
The Old Hawaiian B&B
You added The Old Hawaiian B&B to your Saves list
1492 Wailuku Drive, Hilo, Island of Hawaii, HI 96720   |
Ranked #8 of 18 Hilo B&B and Inns
Ushuaia, Argentina
“Wonderful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

Like other reviewers, I have nothing but praise for the Old Hawaiian B&B! My boyfriend and I enjoyed a four-night, relaxing stay and had a wonderful time. Lory and her husband (and their dog, Cinder) were extremely welcoming! Breakfast was fresh and delicious, and the room was spacious, clean, and comfortable. I would highly recommend the Old Hawaiian for anyone staying in Hilo!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

We stayed for two nights at The Old Hawaiian B&B as part of a island hoping adventure in Hawaii. The room was very large and well presented with an extremely comfortable bed and lots of books for guest use. The location was good for Hilo and the breakfast was lovely! We particulary enjoyed spotting the trees in the garden that the fruit being served had grown on. An amazing variety that added to the enjoyment of our stay.

Westervoort, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

We stayed at the Old Hawaiian B&B for 4 nights. Lory had done her utmost to serve a wonderful breakfast every morning! Delicious fruit from her own garden, a jewel on our plates every morning! The pastries she baked every morning were outstanding, and the smoothies were delicious! A packed breakfast was also possible, which was great! The room was clean and cosy, clean towels every day, fridge and microwave and waterboiler on the lanai! It was just perfect, we would advise everyone to go here, you won't find a better place!

Dublin OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012 via mobile

The service and breakfast were superb. Our room was clean and comfortable. The birds sang loudly and were so peaceful on the lanai. However,our room and specifically the bathroom were adjacent to the lanai so we had little privacy.

• Stayed June 2012
Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

The Old Hawaiian Bed and Breakfast was a wonderful, lovely experience. I was born and raised on O'ahu, and I am very picky about travel and lodgings. This was a wonderful, comfortable, beautiful setting, with friendly, intelligent, lovely owners who were helpful in every way. My room was the largest one available and the most private. A large iron-framed bed and smaller day bed evoked a turn of the century (19th-20th) Victorian charm. Huge double hung windows let in loads of natural light. The spa-like bathroom was modern and luxurious in size, with a sunken tub and separate shower. Being there was instantly relaxing. Breakfast service was prompt--just the right touch of casualness and formality, and was delicious. Because I was there for the high school track and field State Championships, i didn't need a lot of direction about places to go, but Lory was certainly knowledgeable. It was also fortuitous that she coaches track at Hilo High, so she was additionally helpful given my reasons for travel. The grounds were planted with authentic native plants, in addition to common, non-invasive fruit trees and a variety of flowering irises, hibiscus, to name a few. While waiting for a ride, i walked up the street where friendly neighbors smiled and waved. I would definitely return the next time I go to Hilo, and in fact, I'd prefer staying there than at a luxury hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Abilene, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

The Old Hawaiian B&B is wonderful. It was my first trip to Hawaii and this was a great start. The back yard is so beautiful. Lory has so many fresh fruits and it was fun to try all of the new ones. Her breakfasts are the best! Love the smoothies! Lory can tell you about different places to go and things to do and makes you feel right at home.
Anyone who chooses the Old Hawaiian won't regret it. I hope we can return someday.
Thanks again Lory and Stewart!
Connie T.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Sunrise room. It was a large comfortable room, with a table and two chairs, an extr...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

When originally booking my Hilo vacation, I decided on Old Hawaiian because I found Lory professional yet friendly on the phone. A lot of other B&Bs I called were a little too informal for my taste (and giving a credit card number to). Lory responded to all me pre-vacation emails promptly, including my request for an additional night.

The B&B is located not too far from the airport and just outside of downtown Hilo, walking distance to Rainbow Falls and Boiling Pots is at the end of the street. You can walk out your door and are a a 30-second walk from the river. It's very quiet, great stars at night, lots of quiet scenic roads for walking and running. The room was very clean, comfortable, and had lots of little touches (aftersun lotion, dishes, wine bottle opener, menus for everywhere in town, mosquito spray, flashlights, and much more). There are ceiling fans and between the fan and the cool Hilo nights, I got chilly once in a while, which was okay.

Lory serves a fantastic breakfast with smoothies and lots of fresh local fruit. When Lory found out that I am gluten/dairy/egg intolerant she made special cinnamon scones and chocolate muffins for me. Not only was this an unexpected and outstanding gesture, but they were DELICIOUS!!!! There is a little communal fridge and mcrowave, so it is possible to buy your own food and stash it and it was adequate for a food-restricted person like me.

There are 2 large chain grocery stores near by, as well as a natural foods market on te main drag in Hilo, plus the daily farmers market, so finding food was not too difficult.

Lory and her husband are there to answer questions (we asked about driving to Kona, best places to go for a run in town - Lory coaches track at the high school, and for general in town direction or recommendations), but they are not in-your-face. They are very respectful of your space and vacation time.

The price for our five-night stay was fantastic, beter than a lot of the standard resort/hoteoptions that were around. Plus, none of those places would've made me gluten-free vegan scones.

I would Highly recommend Old Hawaiian B&B, and when we make it back to Hilo, we will book here again.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Sunrise room which I believe is the largest and doesn't share walls with any ot...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hilo
Dolphin Bay
#2 of 8 in Hilo
4.0 of 5 stars 327 reviews
The Palms Cliff House Inn
The Inn at Kulaniapia Falls

Been to The Old Hawaiian B&B? Share your experiences!