“Ick ick ick” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Country Club Hawaii Condo Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hilo
Country Club Hawaii Condo Hotel
121 Banyan Drive, Hilo, Island of Hawaii, HI 96720   |
Ranked #8 of 8 hotels in Hilo
winnipeg
“Ick ick ick”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2009

I wasn't sure where to start with this review (I rarely write about any place so bad) but then I read the review by sweiserw and realized - I don't need to write much because their experience was almost exactly the same as ours. Reserved on VRBO (not FRBO). Showed up and saw what looked like a pretty sleazy place. Told reserved room wasn't available because owner had overbooked. Was shown different room. Filthy place, water dripping from ceiling. Decided to leave whether I could get a refund or not. Went to the Dolphin Bay Motel. It's fabulous! I'll never stay anywhere else in Hilo again.

Called owner and complained, and she promised a full refund by mail (I'm still waiting).

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

51 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2009

We stayed at the Hilo Country Club for two nights in March. The first night we had a terrible room. It was not as clean as I would have liked and it faced a noisy parking lot with a VERY noisy fan just outside the lanai that kept us awake at night. We actually considered pulling out the sleeping bags to avoid the sheets. The person at the front desk when we checked in was either very shy or very rude.
The next morning we decided to hunt for a room elsewhere but the new front desk person, who was incredibly friendly and helpful, showed us a new room. We actually had to double check that it was the same price. It was very clean with an updated kitchen. The lanai had a beautiful ocean and pool view and was very quiet so we decided to stay. At $78 a night, I'd say night 2 was great value. If you decide to stay here, have a look at the room first and if you don't like it ask for a different one. The day staff are much nicer to deal with than the night staff.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2008

Back in December, I reserved a studio condo at this complex through a website called frbo.com (not to be confused with vbro.com). I viewed the attractive color pictures from every angle, and everything looked satisfactory. Of course the price was very low, but we'd been in Hilo before and knew that the tourist infrastructure was, to say the least, undeveloped. I dealt via email with the owner, Casey Carlton; she confirmed there was free parking and wireless internet. I called the complex directly to make the reservation.
I did read some terrible things about this place on tripadvisor, but didn't take them too seriously. Bad mistake ...
Should explain we needed to be in downtown Hilo because DH was going stargaxing on Mauna Kea and needed an easy drive back.
Arrived at County Club. Open-air lobby; okay, but the desk clerk was behind bullet-proof plexiglas, around whose counter lolled a huge slab of tattooed beef - evidently the security guard, but he was scary enough to me. I noticed a couple (two exactly) Vegas-like consoles parked on the concrete walkway; this was the "wireless internet", as it turned out.
Now the real surprise. "You can't have that unit," said the clerk,"there's somebody already in it." What??? "Yeah, I guess the owner rented it to a friend of hers." Butbutbutbutbut ..."I can let you have another unit," shrugged the clerk, "it's just like it. They're all the same."
Against my better judgment, the big guy led DH and I along the filthiest hall I have ever seen, into the most degraded, scratched, graffiti'd, groaning and rickety elevator in my experience (and I'm from NYC), along a stinking carpet and into a foul hole about the size of a college dorm room, with a bed, chairs, and TV crammed into it somehow and a "lanai" that looked ready to drop five stories if anything weightier than an ant stepped on it.
We did not take the room. Very fortunately for me, no money ever exchanged hands, since the idea of recovering a deposit from this owner didn't seem like a fun activity.
Humiliating experience with a phone book, how retro; "Big Island Revealed" doesn't list B&Bs, but we had stayed last year at the Kulaniapia FallsB&B, and tried that place first. No luck; none at the Shipman House either, which costs $189. a night; then I remembered having seen Maureen's B&B on the Web, called their number, and our problems were over. I'll write a review of Maureen's next.
Bottom line: the "County Club Condo/Hotel" is Skid Row. Don't go anywhere near it, unless someone is paying you to do a sociological survey.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2008

I have lived on the Island of Hawai'i for over 17 years - coming here from Oahu. This is the first place I stayed and I still strongly recommend them. There have been some management changes over the years but this has never affected the service. Some rooms are better than others due to private ownership at some point. The staff is friendly and more than willing to try make you comfortable. Just tell them what you want - do you want to watch tv? Do you want a great bath? Let them know what is important to you - and they will try to help. The rates are great when you think about it -- steps from the beach in paradise..... Let's see -- save on the room so you can spend more on the experience. Brilliant!!!! Security is great here and you get a comfortable home base for your Big Isle experience. I highly recommend for the budget traveler or just the traveler that knows the destination is more important that where you lay your head - as long as certain basic needs are taken care of satisfactorily. A great place for those here on business, visiting relatives or just on vacation.

• Liked — The aloha and the price - also felt very safe -- felt car was very safe.
  • Disliked — Eh - it's not one restort but what I would do there? It was perfect for what I needed. No complaints.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2008

My partner and I stay at Country Club Condo Hotel every year and have been staying there for the last 4 Winters. When I read the "nightmare" reviews - this has not been our experience. We stay on the 5th floor, in a room without a balcony but big windows, lots of light and a nice view. The room is exceptionally quiet, any bar noise is at the other end of the hotel in the suites overlooking Banyan Drive not at the end overlooking the Hilo harbour and pool area. The hotel has seen better days that's for sure, but for a budget hotel it represents excellent value. The staff ARE friendly and the place is clean. The hotel is old and in need of repair but with the lease still in negotiation, the owners need to sort that out before they invest the money needed up upgrade the elevators and hallways.

Some rooms have been completely refurbished and are very nice. There's a mixture of Hawaiian families living at the Banyan Drive end and short and longer term tourists living at the other end. People have been returning to this hotel for years and years.

The best thing about this hotel is the location. It simply cannot be beat. Lots of great walking along Banyan Drive and then through the beautiful Japanese Gardens and park a short walk from the hotel. Coconut Island has been completely redone as well.

There is lots to recommend this hotel if you're realistic about its age and the price you're paying.

• Liked — It's Location
  • Disliked — In need of refurbishing.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
new york
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2007

I would have rated this "terrible" but save that for something truly horrible, which this was not. The earlier reviewer, who commented on being very apprehensive as they checked-in, took the elevator, and walked down the hall, only to have all turn out right once they entered their room, set the tone for our visit. The exception was that all was not okay once we turned the key in the door.

Our room was very basic, not in good repair (very dirty drapes and peeling wallpaper), and had no door safety lock, lanai sliding door lock, nor control of the AC at all - there were fan, on-off, and temp controls, all absolutely frozen in place. The view off the lanai was very nice, and there was a kitchenette and micro-wave, etc., but we just didn't feel comfortable - it was all somewhat shabby.

So after one night we check rates at another hotel in the area and found something we could happily live with, and moved.

Overall if cost is the primary motivator, and this is as good as you can do, then take it, but have very low expectations.

It may be that another room would have been a totally different experience. My impression is that each room is owned individually (it IS named a condo hotel), and perhaps it was just the owner of our room who decided to have no T.V. remote control, no clean drapes, etc.
That might be worth considering, but I don't know how you would assure
you got a conscientious owner's room when you booked or checked in.

Stayed December 2006
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2007

I live in Hawaii and have stayed at various hotels in Hilo over the past several years. In my opinion, this is the best place to stay in Hilo. The rooms were very nice and clean, the staff was friendly and the prices were pretty good. It's centrally located and near the Hilo airport with a nice view of Hilo bay too.

• Liked — Great location and nice rooms!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Country Club Hawaii Condo Hotel? Share your experiences!