“Island Hopper” 5 of 5 stars
Review of D&S Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hilo
D&S Bed and Breakfast
You added D&S Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
150 Kilauea Ave., Hilo, Island of Hawaii, HI 96720   |
Ranked #3 of 18 Hilo B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Captain Cook, Hawaii, United States
“Island Hopper”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

My hopping is only on this Island throughout the year. I travel alone or with a show dog. D&S B&B is centrally located in Hilo, convenient to everything including an excellent wine shop, restaurants, shops, and everything else one could desire. . . Even the ocean! Jaimie & Tim are very conscientious about what their guest's needs are and quick to fill them. The atmosphere feels like the old Hawaii of my youth and I love it! The best part is, I feel safe traveling alone and I feel like part of their family. My heartfelt "Mahalo" to Tim and Jamie for such a wonderful oasis!

Room Tip: My favorite room is in the back by the garden.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

TimJamiVez, Owner at D&S Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Aloha Booey!

Thank you so much for your review! We always enjoy when you and Keiko come to stay with us! We loved that we have been able to get to know and you do feel like family. We look forward to seeing you guys in the next few weeks! Have a wonderful day!!!

Jami, Tim, and Able

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Hilo, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Love the place and the people who run it. They know the area inside out and they can help with anything you need.
There is so much more to see and experience here on the Big Island, it's really helpful to have someone who knows the area from hiking the trails at Mauna Loa to snorkeling with turtles at the black sand beach.
Rooms are clean, comfortable and without TV, which was great. I would have turned it on at some point and shortchanged myself on what I got to see.
Call early, word is spreading about this place

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Aloha,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review! We try our best to know the island and what people would like to see while they are here. We are glad you enjoyed your time with us!

California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

After reading the website and reviews, we were expecting a B&B in a residential area, near downtown. It is actually on a busy downtown street and more than once, we had to park over a block away, since there was nothing else available. The room was pretty sparse and although everything was clean, the carpet could have used a shampoo. Breakfast was cold cereal and pastries, but no fruit. I found this odd, since the farmer's market was only a block away. A few fresh pieces of mango, banana and pineapple would have been great. The main thing that makes this place nice, are the owners. They were very pleasant, helpful and willing to provide tips and advise for seeing the local area. It is also convenient to be able to walk to restaurants, the farmer's market and downtown. I would suggest it for a night or 2 for younger people and backpackers.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
TimJamiVez, Owner at D&S Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Aloha,
Thank you for your honest review. I couldn't agree more that the carpet in your room needs shampooing. We actually have that room blocked off for a few days next month just for that purpose. As our family just recently took over this B&B, there are a lot of upgrades we plan to make. We are doing a little bit at a time, and fully renovating the rooms is one thing we plan to do. But a task at that magnitude takes a lot of planning!
We always let are guest know that there is only street parking available. I am sorry you had a hard time finding a close spot. The majority of our guest absolutely love our location because of how we are right in the heart on Hilo and all the conveniences that offers. We have noticed in just the few short months of running this business, we will never please everyone that comes in, and that is ok! There is always room for improvement, and the task of bettering ourselves is never complete, in both business and in life!
Mesa, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

After my son was accepted to UH Hilo, I decided I needed to find a place where our family and friends could stay when we come to visit him. After doing my research, I chose D&S Bed and Breakfast for my first stay. I chatted with Jamie several times by email and phone. She always responded quickly and I already felt like an old friend coming to visit. The day I arrived, I was EXHAUSTED after flying from the mainland and visiting my Dad in the hospital the day before and then driving to Hilo and moving my son into his dorm before his orientation started at 9 AM. Jamie was nice enough to call me and let me know my room would be available earlier than they thought, which was a huge gift as all I wanted to do was take a nap! She and "Mr. Abel" their adorable son, greeted me at the gate and showed me to my cozy, clean and very peaceful room. Even though it was just around noon, I took a shower and headed for my pillow. Jamie, Tim and Abel were going about their business and guests were coming and going, but the atmosphere was so relaxing, I slept peacefully for several hours before having to head out to UH. The night was just as peaceful and the next morning I was pleasantly surprised to see many breakfast options. They provide fruit and nuts on the tables at all times to snack on. Farmer's Market is about a 2 minute walk and there are shops and restaurants even closer. The walk to the ocean took about 5 minutes. I spent the next morning walking all over downtown Hilo and back to my new "Hilo Home". Altogether I was there 3 nights. Thank you Jamie, Tim and Abel for making me feel at home. You have a wonderful, comfortable, clean and peaceful place and I can't wait to see you all again. More family and friends to follow :) Mahalo, Connie

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Aloha Connie!
Thank you for your wonderful review! We are so glad you enjoyed our home and plan on coming back. We enjoyed getting to know you and spending time just talking story with you. We are excited to meet the rest of the family! Looking forward to seeing you again!
MAHALO!
Jami, Tim, and Able Vezina
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

I just got back from staying a week at D&S Bend and Breakfast, or should I better say, "Tim and Jamies place".
I spent a week in Hilo together with our daughter that was starting with the University of Hawaii at Hilo.coming all the way from Sweden. Not only was the place really nice, but all the advice, care and support given by the Jamie and Tim really made our stay a memorable one. The location is perfect, great restaurants, farmers market and Hilo bay just a minute away on foot.
Rooms are very nice and clean, breakfast great and the warm atmosphere of being in a home, yet you get your privacy, was superb. I for sure hope I get a chance to return with the rest of my family.
To prospective guests, I can only say - Go for it, you will not regret it!
To Tim, Jamie and little Able, a million Mahalos for your hospitality.
Hope to see you again in the not to far away future.

Hakan & Elina Olsson, Sweden

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
TimJamiVez, Owner at D&S Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Aloha Hakan,

Thank you so much for your kind review. We really enjoyed having you and Elina stay with us. Able already misses you guys a lot and keeps peaking into the room you where in to see if you are there! We can't wait to watch Elina play some volleyball! And we hope you and the rest of your family come back sooner than later. We will keep in touch!

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights while visiting the area in June. The accommodation was perfectly adequate for our purposes - clean, comfy & roomy. We weren't in our rooms that much anyway as we were out most of the day. The location was great as it was close to the farmer's market and there were a few great restaurants within a few minutes walk. The continental breakfast was also good with plenty of variety each day. The frogs are very noisy but then i don't think you can avoid that in Hilo.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
TimJamiVez, Owner at D&S Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Aloha!
Thank you for your review! We are happy you enjoyed your time here with us! We are very lucky to be right across from the best Farmer's Market! We hope you get the chance to visit again!
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Tim and Jamie could not have made our stay easier or more pleasant! They were always available with suggestions and tips, from the first night (when Tim stood in the street at 10 pm to help us find parking) to the last day (when Jamie offered to let us stay late since no one was coming into our room), they were the perfect hosts.

Breakfast was great--even my breakfast averse husband found plenty to eat. It was nice that it was from 7-10, so no rush to wake up early like at other b&bs.

Only negative was the lack of a/c, which means all windows are open, so you don't have a ton of privacy. It was fine though--we'd definitely stay again if we find ourselves in Hilo in the future!

• Stayed July 2013
Aloha Karen,

Mahalo for your wonderful review! We are so happy you had a great time and we hope we made your 5th Wedding Anniversary memorable!!

Jami and Tim Vezina

Been to D&S Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!