“delicious” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 5 Bakeries in Hilo
Cuisines: European, French
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Parking Available, Seating, Street Parking, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Moonstruck Patisserie is a bakery specializing in European pastries and desserts. Breakfast features a full line of croissants, quiche, rock buns, French press coffee and a full line of loose teas. Moonstruck also features Hilo's finest desserts - custom European style cakes and cheesecakes. Our customers also rave about our iced coffee and ginger peach tea.
Volcano, Hawaii
“delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

The only negative here is Moonstruck is not open 7 days/week. You might miss it, because it's tucked on a side street & does not look like a bakery. But, it's to die for. There is nothing here that is less than perfect. Everything is my favorite & I always walk out with more than I planned on.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Sniffer0320

Hilo, Hawaii
“The Star of Hilo Town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Unfortunately, I came to fine pastries late in life. But fortunately, I was able to learn from the best. My wife brought me to Moonstruck a year or so ago, and under her tutelage, I have been learning to enjoy, what I’ve been told, are some of the finest pastries available anywhere.

I started with what was common to me. Bacon and cheese croissants, curry puffs, cheese puffs, those things. But I was used to eating supermarket quality croissants, and going to Moonstruck taught me what I missed. Then I was able to progress to the cakes, tortes, and other things in the cool box. I recently had Torte Amore (pictured) and I realized what I’ve been missing.

But, alas, all is not perfect. The owner is the only chef. When she runs out of something, it is out for the day. And now that Hilo has become aware of the gem they have, you have to come early. Also, the menu changes according to the season, or sometimes maybe, according to the chef’s whims. So I don’t always get my beloved curry puffs. If you have a little lactose intolerance, please bring your pills. She uses real cream in what she prepares, and the restaurant is small.

Christmas time is also special there. Her fruit cakes are they only fruit cake I have ever enjoyed. Also, she will make a German or Austrian cookie. I can never remember the name, but it is one of the very best cookies I have ever tasted.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Uncle G
Budapest, Hungary
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A must if in Hilo!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Best sweets in Hilo, in Hawaii, and most likely in the US... Great find in downtown Hilo, little shop with a great variety of european style patisserie freshly made every day. They are cheating on the coffee a bit, it is from south america (not Kona), still the place is a must if in town.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank Hun_Attila
Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
“Highly recommendable !!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Vacationing in Hilo for a week, my husband and I discovered this wonderful little patisserie a short walk from the farmer’s market. What a find! Over the course of our stay we sampled a variety of croissants, quiches and cakes and everything we tried was exceptional! The well balanced flavors ranged from perfectly savory to just the right amount of sweetness. (The pear galette was sensational!) No matter what we tried, it was love at first bite! The friendly service was provided by the pastry chef herself. Moonstruck is a one-woman business, preparing delectable pastries from scratch with the finest ingredients. We are being flooded by big chain fast-food outlets, serving over-processed, artificially flavored edibles. In this day and age to come upon this gem of a patisserie, devoted to outstanding quality without taking any shortcuts, is outstanding!!!

• Visited January 2013
5 Thank AuroraAlaska
Hilo, Hawaii
“An absolute Godsend for someone with a discerning sweet tooth!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I visit the Patisserie nearly every week. It's a slice of heaven for a SF Bay Area refugee. Sometimes I stay for a bite, and sometimes I just get a box to go. Everything is luscious because Jackie makes each item from scratch every morning. She is a world-class pastry chef.

Visited February 2013