“A very enjoyable time and stay!” 3 of 5 stars

Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   71 Banyan Drive, Hilo, Island of Hawaii, HI 96720   |
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Hilo
Greeley, Colorado
“A very enjoyable time and stay!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2010

My female friend and I visited for nine nights. We made our selection off the site recommendation and rating. We stayed on the eighth floor near the elevators and yes we could hear them all the time but we are sound sleepers and don't mind some noise. The room was nice, roomy, clean and was cleaned daily if we hadn't conserved and only requested it be cleaned every other day.

Being frequent visitors to Hawaii, we decided to try the Big Island this time. We usually drive ourselves around and explore rather than rely on tours and such. We enjoyed the many fine restaurants and cafe's, especially Ken's Pancake House. Wonderful Teriayki Platter and Rib specials. Breakfast was great too.

It rains a lot on this side so we drove to the west side a lot but did not mind the trips back and forth. We snorkled, swam, hiked, dined out a lot, walked, jogged, took pictures, and went on a snorkel tour on Fair-Wind cruises.

We will definitely return again and again.

We had an excellent time!

Mahalo to the staff at the hotel, all the workers in town, and to the Great state of Hawaii!

Kimo from Colorado

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Washington, DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2010

This is supposedly one of the better hotels in Hilo, but it was a huge step down for us after staying at a wonderful B&B in Volcano and a week in a much nicer hotel in Waikiki. Three stars and that is pushing it. This hotel is very dated, but if you just need a place to sleep it is fine. I would however, strongly recommend finding a local B&B; the Hilo surrounding
area is beautiful.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Lexington, Kentucky, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2010

My wife and I stayed here for one night as we were passing through Hilo. Overall it was a nice hotel. The location is good and they have free parking. I had high hopes after walking through the lobby, which looks to have been updated recently, but they definitely haven't made it to the guest rooms yet. Ours had some water damage near the sink, but was otherwise very clean. The room was big and had a great balcony. The TV in the room was small and in a weird location near the bed. They either didn't think through the layout very well or moved the bed at some point. We weren't in Hawaii for the great TV programming, though, so it wasn't a big deal. My only other complaint is that internet access isn't complimentary. Otherwise it's a pretty good deal at ~$100/night.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Phladelphia, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2010

Well...I can't say that I was surprised. I read the Tripadvisor reviews and I'd say that they were pretty accurate. We picked this hotel because it was one of the highest rated ones in Hilo.

Staff is very friendly and helpful. Free parking nice. Room had a great view of Hilo bay and was immaculate but not updated for about 10 or 20 years. Location is great and the very reasonable price.... well... you get what you pay for.

We barely slept a wink for the brief time that stayed at this hotel. The constant banging of the guest room doors was beyond ridiculous.......all night long! We determined that a large group of Japanese tourists had arrived on our floor around 10 pm. They were up all night going in and out of their rooms...BANG BANG BANGit was brutal !

Overall a decent, clean hotel, friendly staff, good location, great price....but if you want to sleep bring earplugs or noise cancelling headphones!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Palo Alto, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2010

This was the hotel a co-worker from the Island recommended as, "The only place to stay when staying in Hilo. I have to agree now, but I would have to make sure anyone booking this hotel knows they really must stay on the ocean view side of the hotel. The view to the west over Hilo Harbor should not be missed with the setting sun. So if not catching the ocean view from your room I would have to recommend a trip to the restaurant.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Mercer Island, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2010

Plus: a very good value; $109 for a view of Hilo Harbor and Mauna Kea. The Pu-Pu's in the bar were very good and quite large; the drinks were reasonable in price for Hawai'i.

Minuses: hotel is in bad need of a face lift; only 1 free packet of coffee for the duration of your stay; linens and towels changed only after every 4th night. In the bar, we asked for water and plates to share the pu-pu's - the water came in plastic glasses and the plates were Styrofoam - very tacky. Also, there appeared to be a girl "working" out of the bar.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Ontario
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2010

We stayed here in July 2010, and ended up only staying one night instead of the 2 we had originally planned. The location is quite good, and there is a restaurant in the hotel. We ate dinner here, food was so-so, waitress was excellent.
Upon arrival (we arrived after the check-in time) our two rooms were not ready. We waited 1hr until they were ready (front desk clerks told us the rooms had not been cleaned yet). When we finally got up to our rooms they both smelt so much like mould (there were also No towels in either of the bathrooms - after they had supposedly "just" been cleaned) we went straight back down to the front desk. We asked to have 2 different rooms, especially since one of our travelers has a mould allergy. Our request was not dealt with well, as the front desk clerks didn't believe the room smelt like mould and one member of our group ended up going back up to the room to smell it with one of the hotel workers. We finally got the "okay" to be transferred into 2 other rooms (which still slightly smelt mouldy) but after waiting the initial 1.5 hours, and another 45mins to have the rooms switched we took the rooms. These rooms did not have towels either, and the bathrooms were not the cleanest.

I would not recommend this hotel; the service we encountered (other then our waitress in the restaurant) was Not good, the rooms were not prepared upon arrival and they were not cleaned properly.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Concerned_HI_Manager, Manager at Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel, responded to this review, September 30, 2010
Dear Valued Viewers:

Aloha! First of all I would like to apologize for the unfortunate experience encountered by the author of this review. I wish I could apologize personally to this guest but with the information given I am not able to determine the identity, the arrival date or even the room they occupied. All I know is that they stayed here in July of 2010. This makes my job a little tougher because I am not able to address the concerns posed. We have 286 rooms and I will now inspect all of these rooms to see if any of the rooms smell of mold. I can't investigate as to why the rooms did not have towels in them or why the rooms were not ready by 3:00pm. I can't determine which workers were responsible for the poor service my valued guest experienced.

It seems that the hotel must have been very busy that day if the rooms were not cleaned prior to arrival after 3:00pm. Although not acceptable, rushing may explain the reason towels were not placed in the room before it was rented. As far as the moldy/mildew smell, living in the tropics, this is a challenge in every structure in Hawaii, whether it is a hotel or home or office building. We try to control it as best we can.

Again my apologies and I assure you that these concerns will be addressed with the Front Desk Manager, the Executive Housekeeper as well as all of the employees so we can minimize if not eliminate these unfortunate issues, Without details it is rather difficult to investigate and correct in a short time frame but we will make it a priority to get it done as soon as we can.

Hotel Manager

Been to Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel? Share your experiences!