“Nice location, average room” 3 of 5 stars

Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   71 Banyan Drive, Hilo, Island of Hawaii, HI 96720   |
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Hilo
Philadelphia
“Nice location, average room”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

While the views from the Lobby, Bar and Restaurant (and rooms on the water side) are beautiful, Banyan views - notsomuch. Coqui frogs were really vocal all night long; the lanai door stayed closed the entire time I was there to keep out the noise! The room was clean, but very 'bland', color-wise. Everything seemed to be beige. Asking for extra coffee does not mean that you will get the creamer/sugar pack to accompany the coffee.
The desk clerks were cordial; the hair dryer I asked for was delivered within 10 minutes, and the hotel employee would not take a tip. Personnel there were great.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor, on the water side if possible.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

There aren't many hotels on the Hilo side of the island. I was worried, but pleasantly surprised by the Hilo Hawaiian. The rooms were recently redecorated and are very nice. The hotel is close to the airport, but I didn't hear any planes! We booked through expedia and the confirmation simply said, "standard room." When I emailed to make sure it was a reservation for 2 double beds, I was told "bedding is upon request and limited to availability and not guaranteed." She said she made a notation that we were requesting two beds. When I checked in.. 2 beds, no problem. I thought it odd that the couple ahead of me at the desk (not checking in) asked for a hairdryer. And when I came back to ask about parking... another gentleman was asking for a hairdryer. Apparently, not supplied in the room, but can be requested at the desk. The hotel has curved hallways, which is unusual. And the room numbers were laid out oddly - we had to double back when we realized it was behind us. Comfortable beds and pillows.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Oakland, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

Great staff, excellent location, clean, and comfortable. We stayed in three hotels trying to find a decent one, even went out to Kona. This hotel was wonderful, especially considering what's out there. This hotel was fully renovated, which was unusual in Hilo.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

I came to Hilo for a job interview and stayed here. The hotel room was overall nice and clean and I had a large room with an absolutely gorgeous view. It was incredible waking up to the view every morning. The hotel breakfast buffet was a little pricey and nothing to write home about. I loved the sounds of the birds and frogs that I could hear from inside the room. The constant sound of the elevator running up and down, however, was not as noticeable the first night, but became quite irritable by the third night. There is no wi-fi in the rooms and they wanted a $10 charge per day for it. No way Jose! I don't think they changed the sheets at all during my stay....I'm not sure if that's normal practice for hotels or not. It was conveniently located, and about a mile from an amazing Thai restaurant. Just an FYI, there is not a workout facility in this hotel or hair dryers, but they will provide a dryer upon request. Overall, I would recommend this hotel mainly based on the incredible view and the overall quality and cleanliness.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Tokyo, Japan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

The hotel is excellent. Convenient located, 5 munites drive from downtown area. I could find some good restraunts in walking distance. I stayed 2 nights for vacation and enjoyed it very much. The room was clean and the view from the room was beautiful. I liked the free parking and cozy cafe inside the hotel. The staff was attentive and friendly.
I took 1 point off because the facility, such as elevator, bathroom, and extra bed was old and no free wifi in the room. The cafe and lobby has wifi, but it's very slow.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

The hotel is beautiful. We had the parking lot view, but that way we got to see the sunrise from our room each morning. The staff was helpful, letting us stay an extra hour past our check out time, the room was very clean, and the hotel was quiet. We only ate in the restaurant one time, but the food was good and our waitress was wonderful! I would suggest they have free wifi in all the rooms as in the evenings many of us were gathered in the lobby using devices. We would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Barcelona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014 via mobile

I spent a great night at the Hilo Hawaiian hotel. The location is great and the rooms/staff were very comfortable. I had a special request when booking the hotel. Not only was it honored, but it was acknowledged as well. I'd stay here again in a minute!

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel? Share your experiences!