“I Can't Remember Shaved Ice So Good Since I Was a KID!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #32 of 206 Restaurants in Hilo
Cuisines: Dessert
Clackamas, Oregon
“I Can't Remember Shaved Ice So Good Since I Was a KID!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

There are a couple of Wilson's: this one that is sandwiched between the old shops of downtown Hilo, and some sort of stand that is closer to the Farmer's Market. This little shop is the one you want. The ice is like packed snow. There is no crunch, just melt-in-your-mouth flavor. The picture I'm submitting shows the smallest size they serve-- so be forewarned that these are huge snow cones. The flavors are all great and you can mix up a few. We liked the passion fruit the best. The service is very friendly and the shop has an Old Hawaii feel, like most of downtown Hilo.

• Visited August 2012

Denver, Colorado
“I love this place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

The shaved ice is absolutely amazing. The shop has the nicest workers, they were always polite and friendly. They often would explain different local flavors. They sell some other items, like shirts and dried fruits, but the shaved ice is why most people visit. They had lots of flavors and when you added creme, yum. The local flavors are fantastic like li hing mui and lychee. I always love getting rainbow flavors, amazing. Best shaved ice I've ever had. This place is a hidden gem! I found out about this place through yelp, the yelp page has some informative pics including a basic menu.

• Visited September 2011
Turner, Oregon
“Ice Shave!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

Yummy shaved ice! Make sure you ask for cream on top!Also try Li hing mui and the one listed below it on the menu as your syrups a great local flavor mix!

Visited June 2012
Hawaii
“BEST SHAVE ICE IN THE WORLD!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

I simply LOVE WILSON'S by the BAY! It isn't anything beautiful, they sell Shave Ice, some seeds and gummy items, T-shirts, and some beautiful orchids from time to time. BUT you have to TRY it to believe how WONDERFUL it is. I have no idea how they make their shave ice PERFECT but it is ALWAYS PERFECT. The type of the shave makes it the best. Now how does one go and explain that Wilson's Ice Machine makes the best shave? Who knows the only thing I can tell you is to GO TRY IT.. YOU WILL not like it, YOU WILL LOVE IT and come back and come back even if the rain is pouring or for goodness sake if it snowed in Hilo! Now make sure you ask "HOW BIG IS BIG" as we aren't talking "snow cones" as in the mainland, we are talking bout "LOCAL KINE SHAVE ICE!" I believe its $3.00 or cheaper for a Ice Shave that is SO HUGE you're going to need to sit down and just enjoy for at least 10-15 mins. And make sure you keep sucking the juice out as THEY are not shamed to ADD lots of juice to your ice shave!
You can add Ice Cream, Red Beans, and some add Cream to theirs too. Me, I like it ala natural with Lychee and Li Hi Mui flavor... As we say in Hawaii Nei.. BROKE DA MOUTH GOOD!
Now there is most times only one person inside Wilson's and at times they do have to go and get some ice or even use the restroom so make sure they are really closed and not doing a BRB in 5 mins. (look for a little memo on their door.. nothing fancy here folks just good ice shave)
Try Wilson's I promise you will keep coming back and back again.. And check out the BAY while you're enjoying your shaved ice.. WOW. As we also say in Hawaii "LUCKY YOU LIVE HAWAII!"
Enjoy the beauties of this most awesome island, NONE of the other islands come even close to its beauty, Also talk to the local folks bout where to go and where to eat. We've been told we are different that the other folks on the other islands as we have what is called "ALOHA". And we don't mind sharing it with you. Also it rains A LOT on the Hilo side, please don't get upset with it.. as we live in a RAINFOREST! So enjoy Hilo, and CHECK OUT Wilson's You wouldst be sorry you did!

• Visited June 2012
Keaau, Hawaii
“Cream on Shave Ice Mmmmmm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

We went in for a totally different reason, and were offered a shaved ice. I was not prepared for how absolutely wonderful it was. The ice was shaved perfectly, not chunky ice. The flavorings were delicious and the cream, oh my, it was heaven. The woman in the store was absolutely delightful, and yes, it's an old tiny store on the bay front, so it's nothing to look at, but you get the feeling of old world Hawaii-town in this place. Definite aloha, and ono shave ice. Whether you live here, or are visiting, this is a must stop!

• Visited April 2012