“A-M-A-Z-I-N-G” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #11 of 59 Activities in Hilo
More attraction details
Owner description: COME & SEE LAVA UP CLOSE & PERSONAL WITH EXPERIENCED HAWAII VOLCANOLOGIST! Aloha! Mahalo for choosing ‘Ahiu Hawaii for your REAL LAVA ADVENTURE!! We have two different tour times. One at 8:00am and the other at 4:00pm. The price is $155 per person, which we provide a backpack, snacks, water, headlamps, backup headlamps, gloves and also a stick to walk with but also to interact with the lava! Private tours are $195 which you decide what time you want to check in and how you would like to go about your tour. We hope you care about your safety. Cause Your safety is our #1 priority! Our tour groups are small which we never book no more than 10people per tour guide for safety and personalism. Plus all of our guides are REAL geologist/volcanologist and biologist who REALLY know what's going on about the lava and will safely get you there! The hike out is approximately an 1hr and a half. Then you'll have an hour of viewing, then the same time to walk out. So approximately 4hrs.
Orion, Illinois, United States
“A-M-A-Z-I-N-G”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

This tour was fantastic! I would say the path we took though 3+ miles of very muddy jungle to get to the lava was a bit rough. You need to be pretty physically fit for the hike, especially for the return hike the same 3+ muddy miles in the dark. But it was TOTALLY worth the hike! Bring shoes that you are okay to trash afterwards due to all the mud. This tour and being able to actually poke the active lava with a stick made my trip! Our guide was very informative and though the lava felt very dangerous I trusted him to keep us safe. I would highly recommend this to anyone that is in shape and can handle the hike in and out. We had a couple that was not in shape and it really slowed down our tour and made for a slow hike back.

Visited October 2013

San Diego, California
“Experience of a Lifetime!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

My husband and I did the guided lava tour on our honeymoon in Hawaii and it was the highlight of our trip. Ahiu was sure we were more than adequately equipped for the tour - they provided everything/anything we could possiblt need - snacks, water, head lamp, poncho, etc. Our guide had an abundance of knowledge about the trail, volcano, surronding area, etc. - there was not a question we had that he couldn't answer. We definitely got a volcano/lava edcuation on this tour and we loved it! Hiking through the rain forest was an adventure in itself, but was we got to the lava field, the adventure factor was defintiely kicked-up a notch. It was so surreal to be walking on lava rock that was formed only 2 months before and once we reached the active lava flow - we were speechless. It was beautiful and terrifying all at the same time. I felt lucky to see the lava up-close and personal - it was like a gift from mother earth - an experience of a lifetime!

Visited September 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Like they Said “THERES A TON OF LAVA TO SEE!"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

it’s just that every other tour company wasnt able to get to it. So before coming back to the Big Island i was told that there was no lava to see. With disappointment i called Ahiu Hawaii to see if that ws true. But to my surprise they informed me that there was a ton of lava but it was inaccessible from where the other companies are coming from. So just to double check i called several other operators. They told me that there is no lava flowing at all.

I called back Ahiu Hawaii and told them what the other companies had said and all they did was laugh! The staff member informed me that if i dont see any lava then youll get your money back. So i went.

We check in at 1:30pm and received our backpacks which included water, snacks, headlamps, leather gloves, and ponchos, We finally departed approximately at 2:00pm. We made our way down where the flows were once going down in Kalapana but we turned off somewhere in Pahoa.

We began walking through a rainforest where at the time it was raining. (it did clear up though) Our guide showed us wild pigs that were digging in a distance and knew quite a bit of the forest and the native fauna. It definitely is muddy almost ankle high at some spots so be prepared. Then all of a sudden we came up to lava that we could see at a distance burning the forest.(We did not get that close to the forest lava because of the methane gas that blows stuff up) But we saw what we came there for! Lava! Lava was all over the place and we were able to get inches from it! The guides are excellent! They know their stuff about the lava and they even show you not only the history about the place but also the science.

This is definitely not for everyone, it takes approximately 2 hrs to get to the lava, we stayed there about 2hrs and it took us another 2hrs to come back. You will be walking back in the dark but they provide really good headlamps. While we were about to walk from the lava there were two people in the lava field who was disoriented from the fog and couldnt find their way back to there trail to volcano area. But the guides were very happy to find them and invited them to comeback with us.

This is an adventure that you should do especially to see the lava up close.

Visited October 2013
New York City, New York
5 attraction reviews
“'Mind-blasting' but not for the faint-hearted”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Yes you get to see and touch real lava as it is oozing out of the earth's crust. The scene that many might have seen on tv or in documentaries. And it's everywhere, all around you at your final destination. It is definitely a 'once in a lifetime' experience. Words cannot do justice to these sights. We saw new vents open up in front of our eyes. Lava flowing in various speeds, mostly inching forward but at times gushing out specially when flowing down an incline. We had sticks with which we could poke the lava and lift little pieces of molten rock. One time, a rock literally cracked open 20 feet from where we were standing and lava poured out. And as a fitting finale, the crater started flowing as we were about to leave.

The helicopter tours do not come even close to this experience. Unless there is a large flow, all you will see will be a few red specks of lava.

Now for the reality check. This involves hiking about 8 miles (both ways ) through dense tropical forests and then another mile on lava rock. The trail is very challenging. Our group had all young reasonably fit adults but it took us 3 hours one way. It is very muddy, ankle deep in some cases, specially during this time of the year. The return is in pitch darkness, guided only by the light of the headlamps they provide you. So unless you are confident of your physical abilities, I would not recommend this. On the way in, by the time we reached the 2 mile marker, it began to rain. They gave us ponchos, but if rain is forecast, you might want to carry your own gear. Your shoes will be your best friend. The shoes have to have thick soles and good grip. The ferns might prick you otherwise, as happened twice with my wife. Carry an extra pair of socks. My feet turned white from being wet in the same pair for 8 hours. Carry an extra change of clothes, shoes in your car. You will be muddy, sweaty and wet when you return to Hilo.

Timeline :
1.30 Check-in at Ahiu Hawaii, Hilo.
1.45 After collecting your backpack with snacks, water, gloves, you depart in a van to the trailhead.
2.15 Reach trailhead and begin hike in single file.
5.15 Reach clearing, begin hiking on lava rock
5.45 Reach lava flow.
6.30 Leave for trailhead. It's dark by now, you use headlamps.
7.00 Reach forest and begin return hike.
9.45 Reach trailhead.
10.15 Reach Hilo

We were staying at the Hilton Waikoloa so that was a 70 mile drive from Hilo through the Saddle Road. By the time we got back to the hotel, it was midnight. I have never been more tired or sore in my life. Would I do this again? - probably not. Would I recommend this experience to people who can endure this physical torture? Absolutely. It is something you will never forget and cannot get outside of Hawaii.

Tucson, Arizona
“Definitley worth every penny!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

We had a great educational hike in with Meaghan, a geologist. She told us sooooo much about volcanos and lava and answered all of our questions. When we got closer to the active lava flow, you could feel the heat on your feet! and then all of a sudden...we saw lava! When they say wear pants..it's for a reason....it's hot! We didn't pack pants for our trip, so went in shorts, which is okay but like I said..pants would have been better. It was an experience of a lifetime! Wear hiking shoes or tennis (not pumps, sandals or ballet flats)..it is quite a hike. We HIGHLY recommend doing this!!

Visited September 2013