“This tour is the ONLY way to see Volcanoes National Park!” 5 of 5 stars

$130*
and up
Ranked #21 of 59 Activities in Hilo
More attraction details
Owner description: Bike Volcano provides guided bicycle tours of Kilauea Volcano, one of the world's most active volcanoes. Join Bike Volcano on an amazing guided bicycle tour of the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park or Kilauea Volcano's Active Lava Flow on the Big Island of Hawaii. Bike Down an Active Volcano!!!We have two incredible guided bicycle tours of Kilauea Volcano: 1) Full Day Bike Adventure of Hawaii Volcanoes National Park (10am-3pm, 15 miles); 2) Bike Volcano Summit Tour Special (10am-1pm or 12pm-3pm, 8.5miles. We will provide you with all the equipment necessary, lunch, and/or snacks, beverages, a Professional Guide, and van support. Children and Cruise Ship Passengers are welcome. We provide round trip transportation from the Port of Hilo and our tour times can be adjusted to your ship's docking time. We pick up passengers weekly from the Norwegian Cruise Ship on Tuesdays which works perfectly with the ship's docking schedule
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
“This tour is the ONLY way to see Volcanoes National Park!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2010

My mom and I had gone to Volcanoes National Park a few years ago and drove around and saw some of the sights. Going on this tour was SO MUCH better than our self guided tour. Our guides were Eric and Willy. Eric is a geologist and also has a degree in Hawaiian studies. He knows the park intimately and shares his wealth of knowledge freely. Willy took care of us like we were ohana. He'd replace our water bottles on our bikes when they were getting low, and made us feel completely safe by following us in the van. The bike ride is really mellow, mostly downhill, however, Eric would warn us if an uphill section was coming and we had the option to put our bike in the trailer and ride up in the van. (This option is available anytime, not just for uphills.) We stopped frequently for Eric to teach us about the geology, flora and fauna. The ride starts up at the Jaggar museum, then goes around Kilauea where the landscape is quite stark, then into the rainforest and ends near some pit craters and a lava field. We also did about a 1 mile walk through a lava tube. If you are coming to the Big Island, definitely put this trip on your list of things not to be missed!

San Francisco, California
“Great Tour of Volcano National Park”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2010

A definite must if you want to see the National Park, have a fun bike ride, and get a great tour from a knowledgable guide. We really enjoyed the stops along the ride, and got off main road a bit, away from the masses. A sandwich lunch and wine tasting finished up the day- my whole family had a good time, and we all learned a little. It seems like this park deserves a few more days to see it all, but we definitely feel like we got our money's worth with Bike Volcano

Vancouver, Canada
“Bike Volcano - Summit to Base Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2010

Can't say enough about this tour. Our guide (sorry can't remember his name) was fantastic and informative, and a big thanks to Willy who stayed behind us in the van ensuring we were all safe!
They were both wonderful guides and super kind of our kids (who loved them).
The information was fascinating and the bike ride was fun and fantastic (mostly downhill).
We started out at The Jagger Museum, then mountain biked around the rim of the main caldera. We then headed to the steam vents, Thurston lava tube and down Chain of Crater roads.
We ended up down by the ocean for lunch - which was fantastic - fresh and delicious sandwiches! Nothing cooler than eating lunch on a lava flow with the ocean in front of you!
We found it great for kids - our 10 year old rode his own bike and was ahead of most of the group and our 8 year old was on a pull-along.
We really wanted to see the lava flowing and our guide was fantastic about telling us where and when to go. I highly recommend hanging out (we went to the beach for a few hours) and seeing this - just a once in a lifetime opportunity to see the fires and red glow from the molten lava.
I also highly recommend heading back up to The Jagger Museum after dark (we did after we went and watched the active flow) to see the glow from the current eruption - it was unbelievable to see it and realize it came from magma 600 feet down!
Highly recommend!!

West Coast
4 attraction reviews
“Wet, fast, fun . . . what a ride!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2010

The day started with rain and birds. Not typical for city folk, but a nice welcome for a visitor from the Mainland. Our destination for the day was Kilauea, and not just arriving and settling for some shots from the crater’s rim. We wanted to get into it, experience it and ride it! That is about when the van arrived pulling the trailer full of bikes, hybrid Giants, made for the pavement and definitely for the comfort of your okole.

Our guide is Erik, a transplant from Seattle that managed to stay on the islands and even get his education from U of H with two degrees. Would you believe Geology and Hawaiian Cultural Studies? Perfect for a guide, let alone for one focused on a geological wonder. His companion and SAG vehicle driver, Willie, one friendly local, that moved from Oahu to the big island. Maybe not as good as Abbott and Costello, but a pair worth having if you had the choice.

Admittedly, I love bike riding and to be suited up with a comfort bike like a hybrid was a bit disappointing, but that is about the end of it. The rest is all positive in my book. Before the ride even began, Erik gave us some great history of Pele, the volcano, what it means culturally and geologically. His passion for the two subjects definitely shows and is shared when he speaks. It was a treat just to listen to him. By the time our ride actually began, we had a nice understanding of what we were going to see and just what we were riding on – a giant set of six volcanoes!

We took many stops and most of it was paved and downhill, by far the easiest bike ride, but not lacking the thrill of coasting down at speed up in the high teens at some points. But the highlights for me were the stops, the fascinating stories that Erik was able to share. The Ohia Lehua tree, and the way it got its name. How many plants can you name and tell the story of it. This man could not only give you the Hawaiian story, but give you its botanical breakdown – from how it is unique to the region, its survival tactics, its adaptations, whether it was indigenous, invasive and even sometimes, its close relatives from distant lands.

I have to mention that it rains quite a bit here, and about half way down, someone must have picked one of the Lehua flowers, because it started to rain pretty good. My feet were already wet from the Thurston Lava tube providing a nice pool for us to walk through, but now, my entire body was being baptized. So, I licked my lips, savored the fresh water as it beaded down my face and absorbed as much as my clothes would allow. They did offer some rain coats, but I was not going to shield myself from the tears of the gods.

By the time we were ready for lunch, it had ceased, allowing us some time to dry and enjoy some onolicious sandwiches and local canned juices. Our last stop was the Volcano Winery, one of two wineries in Hawaii and the claim to be the southern most winery in the United States. Being an Aggie Alum [Davis], I was delighted to hear that they used the Symphony grape in two of their wines. Ask them about this if they don’t tell you. Needless to mention, we could not walk away without buying some.

Willie, my bruddah, you may not have been with us on the bikes, nor talking to us about the volcano, but your humor, your spirit and knowledge of the local grindz and places was great. You could have been one of those drivers that doesn’t say anything, oh wait, no way, not on our trip. So mahalo!

In the end, don’t think so much about the bike ride, look around you, listen to Erik and definitely hit up Willie for some great talk story or local talk. Now that is what I call a great experience!

P.S. We did not forget: a’a [sharp jagged lava] and pahoehoe [smooth cake batter lava]

Alabama
5 attraction reviews
“Great way to tour Volcanoes National Park in one day. Fun Educational and exciting.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2010

First - we got lucky and our tour was on a picture perfect day - which are pretty rare in the rainforest of Volcano, HI. Our tour guide Eric made the trip perfect. He has a geology degree and is obviously a student of the volcanoes.

The tour included all of the major stops in the park with a history lesson and tons of information. Almost all of the biking was downhill, so even if you aren't an avid biker you should be able to do it - you just need to know how to ride and be in reasonably good shape.

After the 3 hour tour of the park, they drove us to the sea where we had lunch on the volcanic cliffs overlooking the ocean. It was a great sandwich lunch with wonderful ocean views.

We did the 10:00 tour, which was done by 3:00, then we re-entered the park to hike down the Kilauea Iki trial. We returned at sunset to view the glow coming from the lava inside the Kilauea crater.

If I had one day to see Kilauea, I would absolute do it exactly the way I did it. 10-3 bike tour, 3-5 hike down Kilauea, get dinner, return after dark for the glowing lava.