“Good food, music sometimes” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #20 of 206 Restaurants in Hilo
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Bar scene, Large groups, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients, Dining on a budget
Puerto Jimenez, Costa Rica
“Good food, music sometimes”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

We have visited this restaurant several times and so far we have enjoyed the food each time. Mondays they do a Mexican specials that are very good. We think the garlic fries are some of the best anywhere. Sometimes they have great music. Currently on Mondays and Every other Saturday is Vaughn Valentino of Positive Motion band, if you like local music in Hawaii you will love to get to see him live for free while having dinner over the large Koi Pond.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Hilo, Hawaii
“Nice setting overlooking Hilo Pond”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Had lunch here and it was relaxing with friendly staff. I sat at a table overlooking the pond. My meal was good and think I would go back for dinner. had their dip with cole slaw. Good.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver, Canada
“Terrible, I've never had a meal with so many things wrong.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

I hesitated to write this because I've never written a bad review about a restaurant before and they didn't charge us for our entree's or the bad drink, but felt I owed it to my fellow travelers to post a warning so here it is:

My wife and I started by ordering a Pina Colada and a Mango Margarita, both were excellent. The mango margarita was so good that I ordered another one. The second one was absolutely awful! So full of salt I couldn't taste anything else, I couldn't drink it and sent it back.

We ordered calamari and crab with spinach artichoke dip for appetizers. The larger pieces of calamari were under cooked with raw batter inside. The crab and artichoke dip didn't appear to have any crab in it and tasted very fishy. My guess is they made it well in advance and used left over catch-of-the-day instead of crab. I have ordered this all over North America and it was the worst I've had.

The dinner came with salad or chowder and a dinner bun. We had chowder, it was ok but barely warm. One dinner bun was good, the other was so burnt on the bottom it was black and as hard as a hockey puck. It was so burnt I don't think for a second that someone didn't notice that, it had to have smelled burnt coming out of the oven.

We both ordered prime rib, medium rare. We both got well done, bland and dried out. My guess here is the prime rib was cold/old and then reheated before serving causing the drying. I'm surprised the waitress would even bring it to the table. At this point we were starving and just wanted to get out of there so when the waitress offered to take it back (after we complained) we declined and ate what we could. They offered us a free desert but not interested in eating anything else from that kitchen we declined and asked for the bill. The manager came over and let us know they wouldn't charge us for the prime rib or bad drink, we didn't mention how bad the appetizers were.

The chef/kitchen has absolutely no quality control. Avoid this restaurant, even if the entire meal and drinks were free it wouldn't have been worth it. We ended up paying $42 for the 2 good drinks and 2 bad appetizers.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Edmonton, Canada
“Don't Read This Book By Its Cover!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

Driving by we thought we would try this restaurant. It didn't look like the grandest place to go but we were met at the door and seated immediately. We were seated by windows that were open and they overlooked the water as the building is erected on a wharf like pier. The meals were awesome and the desserts looked terrific. The one we tried was the Cream Cheese Bread Pudding and was that ever a magnificent choice! Wow!!! A top notch place to eat and the prices were reasonable for the standard of meals they prepared!! We highly recommend this place.

Visited April 2014
Round Rock, TX
“Island spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

Excellent food from steaks, prime rib to fish. Big rum drinks were fun too. If you have a window seat your can feed the fish and ducks. Service was fast and efficient. Parking might be a problem on a busy night.

Visited April 2014