“Best place to stay in Hilo for a couple of nights” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Aaron's Cottage

You added Aaron's Cottage to your Saves list
Aaron's Cottage
2.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   54 Keokea Loop Road, Hilo, Island of Hawaii, HI 96720   |
Ranked #11 of 18 Hilo B&B and Inns
“Best place to stay in Hilo for a couple of nights”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

Very reasonably priced place to stay for a couple of nights away from everything. Very good breakfast that Penne made. Allen brought his dog out to see. Very friendly and kind hosts. We really enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Room 7 is at the end...you pass the other 2 to get there
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

My trip to Hilo was from April 8-10, 2014, and my stay with Penne and Allen was great. I'm not a fru-fru person, and don't require luxury with room service. I spent most of my time out and about, doing as many things as I could possibly do in the time I had to spend on the island. That being said, the room was clean, spacious, and well appointed. Penne and Allen were very friendly and helpful. Penne gave me a lovely tour of the garden, telling me all about the many plants and fruits she grows, and she walked with me down to the end of the cul-de-sac where there is a little rocky beach. I really enjoyed hearing some of the stories of where they live and some of their own history. They prepared lovely breakfasts with exotic fruits that I would have never gotten to try on my own, and they offered input and advice both before (Penne responded to many emails) and during my stay. As a solo traveler, I felt completely welcome-- they did a wonderful job of demonstrating Aloha spirit to me! The neighborhood is very quiet, and not so far from downtown Hilo. If I get to come back to the Big Island, I would absolutely stay here again, and can heartily recommend this place to others.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
東京
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

ヒロの中心部から5キロ郊外の住宅地にあり、静かでよかった。ほぼ1時間に1本、運賃2ドルのヘレオンバスが徒歩1分の角を通るので街へ出るのに不便はなかった。
Located in the residence area remoted about 3 miles from Hilo downtown, very calm area. Local bus Hele-on is available from just around the corner, frequency is about every hour, cost is only 2$ to anywhere in Hilo downtown.

一棟に3部屋あるロッジ。どの部屋も広さ、造りは変わらない。大きなベッド、テーブル、籐椅子2つがあり、部屋の広さも十分。洗面・浴室もゆったりしていて、ドライヤー、上質のタオルがたくさんあり、シャンプー、歯ブラシセットなどアメニティもそろっている。
The lodge has 3 rooms, same sized and spacious with kingsize bed, table, 2 ratten chairs. Bathroom is also spacious with hair drier, high grade towels, shampoo and tooth brush etc.

毎朝7時、手作りの焼き立てパンがキッチンに運ばれ、ほか、フルーツ、ソーセージかハム、生ジュースがビュッフェ方式で出る。3泊したが、どれも内容が毎日かわった。冷蔵庫には卵がたくさんあり、好きに調理できる。部屋にコーヒーメーカーもあり、あの有名なコナコーヒーも添えられている。
Every morning home-made and freshly baked bread is prepared, which changes every day as I could enjoy its variety of bread every morning for 3 days. Additionally sausage or bacon, fruits and fresh juice in buffet style on the table in the kitchen at 7 o'clock. In the frige there are eggs everyday, anyone can cook it in anyway. Each room has coffee maker with the famous Kona coffee.

オーナーのアランさん、ペニーさん夫妻の人柄がよく、日本出発前からメールで、貸自転車、火山ツアーなど尋ねてみたら、親身に教えてくれた。貸し自転車は隣のロッジにあり、普通は1日25ドルだが、宿泊者料金と同じ8ドルになった。
The owner, Alan and Penne were very very nice persons, before leaving Japan everytime I sent enquiry email about rental bicycle or Volcano tour etc, Penne gave me useful and helpful answers with kind words. Rental bicycle was available at the lodge next door, it cost only 8$ per day, same price for the guest of the lodge, though normally 25$.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Bellevue, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

We stayed with Penne & Allen one night March 13, 2014 prior to flying out of Hilo early the next morning. We concur with all the positive comments of previous reviews. Most memorable for us was the wonderful breakfast to go that Penne send us off to the airport with. We had spent three days already on the Kona side of Hawaii and we needed a place to spend the night close to the Hilo airport. We had an early morning flight and we needed to be at the airport (about 15 min drive) by 07:00 A.M. This is the same time that Penne usually prepares her breakfast for guests. Having coordinated our situation the day before, Penne said she would prepare a little something for us to take away. Wow! When Penne sent us off in the morning we were overwhelmed with the wonderful breakfast wraps she gave us. We had no idea what all she made for us until we had checked in with our airline and had processed through security. Fresh fruits, juice, delicious wraps loaded with egg, bacon, rice, salsa. We thoroughly enjoyed this treat. Thanks so much to Penne. We really appreciated your thoughtfulness.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Central NJ, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

This is a wonderful little place, just outside the town of Hilo, with it's own little (beautiful at sunrise) beach. Alan and Penne are the most welcoming hosts, full of information about where to go and what to see. I was sorry we could only be there one night. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom was great, the shower was terrific, and the value for the money was fabulous. You could stay at a more expensive place and not have as peaceful a time.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

Spent only 1 night here but so worth it.....innkeepers Penne and Alan Tanabe are the epitome of warmth, kindness, generosity, and hospitality!
Following a lengthy flight from the mainland, we were looking for accommodations that were close and convenient and Aaron's far exceeded our expectations.....the relaxing hot shower and comfortable bed were pure bliss after an exhausting day!
We awoke the next morning to witness a magnificent sunrise by taking just a short 5-minute walk from Aaron's to a beautiful black lava rock beach....WOW!
The property at Aaron's is a quaint, small, quiet, beautiful paradise bursting with beautiful tropical plants and flowers....Penne gave us a wonderful educational tour, we were in awe!
Among other delectable fresh Hawaiian breakfast items, we enjoyed fresh coconut water directly from a coconut from one of the trees on the property and "I" personally got to pull the coconut from the tree which I thought was a very fun "first time" experience having never been to the islands....thanks to Penne!
If you're looking for the TRUE "aloha" experience, you need look no further than here!!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Carlotta, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

My husband and I stayed at Aarons Cottage for 3 nights. This place is a little slice of Hilo (heaven). Just 5 minutes to a secret beach. It does not have the amenities of a big resort, but it has all the charm of Hilo. Penne and Alan made us feel very comfortable and welcomed. The breakfasts were a delight and the fresh fruit was wonderful. My husband and I will be returning because of the wonderful time we had. When we left we felt that we were leaving very dear friends. My husband and I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Aaron's Cottage? Share your experiences!