“Who Doesn't Love Crepes?” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Anchorage, Alaska
“Who Doesn't Love Crepes?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Crepes are a rare treat for me so was very stoked for dinner at Le Magic Pan. Atmosphere was lovely with a flute/piano duo performing, and windows open to the rain outside. Tablecloths were dirty from lunch which put me off, but the food rose to overcome that. I had the Provencal and my husband had the Polish. Huge servings full of flavor. Dessert is a must! I recommend the light(er), sweet & tart traditional English Lemon preparation. Service was OK. Didn't get any refills on drinks, but the chef brought our crepes over fresh off the griddle. There was a dude behind us belching and snorting his phlegm through our meal ... we managed to laugh it off, but eewwww!

• Visited February 2013

Monticello, Illinois
“Best meal we had on the Big Island!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

We stayed in Kona, but drove over to Hilo one day. We had tried a crepe restaurant in Kona that was okay, but this one blew it away! We had our kids along--ages 13, 9, and 7--two of whom are kind of picky. They loved it as well. There were sophisticated options for the more adventurous eaters, and more basics for the others.

Service was very friendly, but slow. I believe the owner was our chef. There was a large party seated behind us (I believe they were her friends and family members), and one waitress and one chef wasn't enough to handle the crowd in the restaurant that night. However, the food was worth the wait. We were seated where we could watch her make the crepes, which was fascinating and helped pass the time, especially for hungry kids.

Save room for the dessert crepes. Yum! We drove back to Kona full and happy after a full day of adventures.

• Visited March 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
San Jose, California
“Really wanted to love this place..........”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

........but, oh so disappointed! Met a girlfriend for lunch and when we arrived we were the only customers. Had a pleasant table by the open window and a friendly server, but that is about the only nice thing I can say. It seemed as though we were bothering the receptionist and our server as they congregated behind a desk at the front and we literally had to ask once, twice and even three times for things we had ordered! I even had to ask for my entree (the waiter had taken up his position behind the desk again) after my friend had been brought hers several minutes before mine. Our server thought I wanted to finish my two bites of salad first, but really? Had to ask several times for our wine and iced coffee and even a place setting! I probably could have overlooked this had the food been exceptional, but everything was a bit so-so. I ordered the beef stroganoff and while the crepe was nicely prepared the stroganoff was just okay. I will, though, give it second try in hopes that it was possibly an off day.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Cooroy, Australia
“Crepe Time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Le magic pan was a great find. A must for all meals, but we made it our home for Lemon and Sugar Crepes for breakfast. Well worth the walk from where we stayed in Hilo.

Visited December 2012
Moscow, Russia
“thank you, the pesto maker”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

The crepes we had last Thursday morning, just before taking 2 days long flight back to Moscow, were delicious. Thanks to the cook, who also is a pesto maker.

• Visited January 2013