“LOVED this Inn!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Inn at Kulaniapia Falls

Save Saved
You added The Inn at Kulaniapia Falls to your Saves list
The Inn at Kulaniapia Falls
3.5 of 5 Inn   |   100 Kulaniapia Drive, P.O. Box 646, Hilo, Island of Hawaii, HI 96721   |
Ranked #9 of 18 Hilo B&B and Inns
Big Spring, Texas, United States
“LOVED this Inn!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

We had a wonderful stay at this Inn for two nights in the Maile room. Views were incredible, breakfast was delicious, room was clean, staff was friendly. We swam in the waterfall pool--it was like having our own waterfall! Would definitely recommend!

471 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Long Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

We sure liked everything about Inn at Kulaniapia Falls , from the Waterfalls right next to our room The bamboo gardens were so awesome . Also some of the friendliest service, I have ever had.

It does take a short ride to get here , but so worth it . We really enjoyed being away from, it all.

Can't wait to stay here again

Mike & Em Orn
Long Beach CA.

Rogers, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

My mom and I recently enjoyed a three night stay at the Inn at Kulaniapia Falls. While the drive is not for the faint at heart, the location is wonderful and the view from our room was spectacular. If you can, rent a waterfall view room. Len and Jane are wonderful hosts. Alexa is also wonderful; she's responsible for making sure you get a good start to your day with yoga and a good breakfast.

We didn't find Hilo to be all that great, but worth spending a night or two at the Falls. There are some great restaurants in downtown Hilo including Cafe Pesto, Lucy's Taqueria and a good breakfast place on the way to the airport.

Room Tip: Try to travel to the Inn during the day because the drive is dangerous.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Hillsborough, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

We had a very pleasant stay. The Inn was modern, clean and very comfortable. We were in the Lehua Room. Breakfast was delightfully refreshing. Fresh fruit, eggs cooked to order, hot macadamia nut waffles, fresh sweet breads, and more. We enjoyed a lovely mini hike (to see the Falls) on the grounds

Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

We accidently came across this place while trying to find Rainbow Falls. I relied too much on Google maps and it took us WAY out of our way. We drove the narrow road following the signs for the inn at the falls hoping we would find our way. After a 20 minute drive, we ended up at inn at kulaniapia falls. As soon as we pulled up I guess the owner (the guy) could tell we were not paying guests and was very rude. He made comments about us not being anywhere near our intended destination. When I took a picture of the falls that we could see HE YELLED AT US!!! I would never stay there because they seem very rude.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Oakdale, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

My wife and I spend the last 2 nights of our Hawaiian vacation at this B&B. The personnel, scenery, food and property exceeded our expectations. This was well worth the drive up to the property.

There were only 2 things that we didn't like - but neither was a significant issue. Only 1 lane road to the property, however, very little (to no) traffic to deal with, so not a big deal. No AC in the rooms, however, they generate their own power and given the elevation, the ambient temperature was adequate to compensate for the lack of AC, so not a big deal either.

All-in-all, recommend this property.

Room Tip: Hard to say that there is a better or worse room - suggest you select based on your sleeping needs a...
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

We have been to Hawaii more times than I can remember but have seldom stayed on the on the "big isle" of Hawaii because we had heard that it rained all the time in Hilo and we have been to Kona but the infrastructure (roads and imported sand for beaches) hasn't kept up with the tremendous growth. But we had the opportunity to stay in Volcano Village which turned out to be a great experience. We decided to spend the last night closer to the Hilo airport. While looking for a place to stay I stumpled on the Kulaniapia Falls Inn. I asked for a room on the lower level if they didn't have an elevator. I got a call from Hawaii because the room I booked was on the 2nd floor but no lift. I could stay on the 1st floor in a smaller room and I wouldn't have a view of the falls. Which did I prefer. For 1 night I decided that I would bear the pain of stair climbing for the view. Am I glad I did. The falls were practically in our room. We had a wonderful deck over the rapids. Closing the doors shut out most of the noise but it put me to sleep. The room was not large but had a small sofa and internet access. Breakfast the next morning was delicious and made to order by the most delightful young woman.

The only drawback was the drive to the place on a long, very bumpy road thru sugar cane fields and cow pastures. We weren't sure we were headed to the right place. Unfortunately we were not able to take advantage of all the things available to explore such as the Bamboo Garden. They have a pool away from the houses in a beautifully landscaped area. We were surprised to find out how great Hilo was - funky and fun, with great gourmet restaurants, art galleries, farmers' and craft markets, a beautiful Japanese Garden and so much more. It seems to be frozen in the 60's. It also has the most beautiful trees. I would highly recommend it.It is not deluxe and offers little of the services of a hotel but it is really special. You can even take a dip in the pool under the falls.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the falls. It will have to be upstairs. There isn't an elevator bu...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Inn at Kulaniapia Falls? Share your experiences!