This inn was a last-minute find for us during a 2-night stay in Hilo. The location, lodging, and grounds were absolutely wonderful! It's a bit of a drive, but it's pretty and we didn't mind it. Plan to bring your own picnic lunch and dinner food to avoid an unnecessary long schlep back into town.
The first night we stayed in the Prince Kalaukaua Room in The Residence, which was probably the least interesting of the rooms in that building in terms of view and ambiance (I recommend the rooms that face the river and falls). Even so, the room was quite comfortable and had a small balcony from which we could view the sunset, a peek of the ocean, and the lights from Hilo. This room does gets a bit of noise from the entrance road, parking lot, and Hilo airport, tho not to an annoying level.
The second night we moved to the Hibiscus Garden Suite on the ground floor of the Harmony House. We were initially hesitant about the room because it is located just off the kitchen and common area. However, the private screened porch opens up directly to the waterfall, which masks any noise from elsewhere in the building. The porch was a delightful place for eating and relaxing, and gave us a private exterior entrance into our room.
The overall atmosphere of the 2 buildings was quite different -- I don't know if this was due to the specific mix of occupants during our stay, or the fact that the Harmony House has quite a few more rooms and hence a livelier atmosphere. The clientele were primarily adults, which we appreciated.
The breakfasts were fabulous, and we enjoyed both of the short hiking trails. I liked that the inn also provided such incidentals as sunscreen, insect repellant, and umbrellas. Our only real "complaint" was that the place could really use an outdoor hot tub, which would be lovely in such a location. There is a spa building on the grounds (primarily for massage), but it was being remodeled during our stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A charming Inn offering 10 rooms or a private guest house. Three waterfalls and a botanical garden. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline and Orbitz so you can book your The Inn at Kulaniapia Falls reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Inn At Kulaniapia Falls Hotel Hilo
- The Inn At Kulaniapia Falls Hilo, Hawaii