“A Paradise!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Inn at Kulaniapia Falls

You added The Inn at Kulaniapia Falls to your Saves list
The Inn at Kulaniapia Falls
3.5 of 5 Inn   |   100 Kulaniapia Drive, P.O. Box 646, Hilo, Island of Hawaii, HI 96721   |
Ranked #7 of 18 Hilo B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
New York City, New York
“A Paradise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Breathtaking Kulaniapia Falls and the bamboo garden, friendly inn keepers and working staff, nice rooms, and fresh breakfast! This is an amazing place ~ A Paradise! Their macadamia waffle was the best waffle I’d ever had. They also have free yoga classes at 10am-11am on Tuesday & Friday. I'd like to stay more days there next time.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I spent a night here before flying back to Honolulu. I had originally found the place on line early last year, but waited too long to make a decision and it sold out. I was intrigued by the idea that they generate their own power with a hydroelectric generator.
It is a bit of a drive up into the agricultural land outside of Hilo, but it's not too far. The walk on the path and relaxing to the sound of the waterfall, it's a very laid back place to just enjoy.
The room was clean, but there are small signs of wear present. Most people probably would not notice. I had to catch an early flight so I missed out on the breakfast.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Rayleigh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

We stayed at this Inn in Dec 12/ jan 13 , on the whole its a nice place and the girls who did the breakfast cooking were really nice. We never saw the owner in the two weeks we were there . The down side to this place is the drive up to it , the road is not very good in places and its quite a long drive, which means you need to take out with you whatever you need for the day because its a long way to keep coming back and forth. We did suffer an earthquake while we were there but thats not their fault. The room we had was the Jamine room which was very nice and adequate but I dont think the daily cleaning of it was of a very good standard, I dont think the shower and sink were cleaned at all in two weeks , only the towels were changed and I had to look for a mop to do the wooden floors myself because they were getting so dusty. On the whole all I can say is that it was OK but I would not stay gain.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Waikoloa, Hawaii
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I booked a room with "Len", "Lenny" earlier this month. Planned an overnight getaway from the other side of the Island, where I live. Wanted a quiet, peaceful getaway, away from the hustle and bustle of the holiday hotel guests I've been serving at my job the past few weeks.

The Harmony room turned out to be a sleep room with a thin wooden door that adjoined a communal ktichen, dining room, sitting area. I knew from the minute we viewed the room it wouldn't be private and quiet enough for my liking. I immediately called Len to voice my dissatisfaction. He was offended, said "What were you expecting, a house?" He encouraged me to walk the property for 10 min and reconsider, which I did. I called him back, told him it wasn't what I'd expected. He said, "Go. Leave. I don't want you staying here anyway." So much for customer service.

We never even unloaded our bags. All we did is view the room and talk to the housekeeper who was inside cleaning. Len didn't offer to show us another room, nor did he take the time to talk walk outside to talk to us in person. He did, however, charge my credit card in full. I have disputed the charge and fully expect it to be credited. Buyer beware!

Room Tip: The sleep rooms are in houses on the property that have been divided up into small bed and breakfast...
Toronto, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed at the Inn at Kulaniapia Falls in the Prince Kalakaua room. The Inn itself is in wonderful condition and the area is beautiful and serene. The room was spacious and clean and in our opinion was better than the room we stayed in at the 4-star resort in Kona a few nights earlier. We also opted to have a RMT come by our room to give us massages; which I must say was money well spent.

The breakfast was also very good, with lots of fresh fruit, eggs and macadamian nut waffles. I'm not a coffee drinker but my wife simply adored the coffee; mind you, coffee in most places in Hawaii is very good. The young lady who prepared our breakfast very nice and hospitable; as were Len and Jane.

In terms of negatives, there are a couple, but nothing serious. Firstly, part of the trip to the inn, the road is either very narrow or unfinished, so expect a slow, bumpy ride. The directions on the website are good and there is some signage along the way, which are helpful. Lastly, there is no air conditioning or a tv in the room. While there is a tv in the lounge downstairs, you do run the risk of getting bit my mosquitos.

Overall, our stay at the inn was very nice experience and we would definitely stay there again the next time we are in Hilo.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

My husband and I had the pleasure of staying one night at Kulaniapia. My cousin and her husband, who live in Kona recommended it. And, yes, they were right. We had breathtaking views of the water fall. Quick hikes were had in the morning and evening to waterfall and gardens. A nice stretchy yoga class in the morning. A wonderful personalized breakfast by our pagoda's cook and housekeeper. We would have stayed another night if they were not booked. I would love to come here again. It's the perfect way to adjust to island time.

Room Tip: Yes its a little pricey, but spend the extra $10 and go for the room overlooking the falls. You get...
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Our family reserved the Pikake and Maile rooms. The view was outstanding, the rooms were decorated very well and very clean. The owners, Len and Jane, are there if you need them but give you complete privacy. We enjoyed walking the fantastic paths down to the waterfalls! In the morning we had coffee on our balcony, perfect. Breakfast is prepared and served by Lea, she is a real gem. I had a delicious waffle, eggs, fresh fruit and coffee, great! I am so glad that I didn't miss staying at this bed and breakfast while on the island. Even the drive to it is amazing through the macadamia nut trees. I want to go back!!! I remember when I first walked in, it was that nice clean smell of freshly polished wood. And then that aroma of waffles and coffee in the morning. Our family loved it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hilo
Dolphin Bay
#2 of 8 in Hilo
4.0 of 5 stars 327 reviews
The Palms Cliff House Inn
Hilo Naniloa Hotel

Been to The Inn at Kulaniapia Falls? Share your experiences!