“Honeymoon Trip to Kulaniapia Falls” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Inn at Kulaniapia Falls

You added The Inn at Kulaniapia Falls to your Saves list
The Inn at Kulaniapia Falls
3.5 of 5 Inn   |   100 Kulaniapia Drive, P.O. Box 646, Hilo, Island of Hawaii, HI 96721   |
Ranked #9 of 18 Hilo B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Toronto, Ontario
“Honeymoon Trip to Kulaniapia Falls”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed at the Inn at Kulaniapia Falls in the Prince Kalakaua room. The Inn itself is in wonderful condition and the area is beautiful and serene. The room was spacious and clean and in our opinion was better than the room we stayed in at the 4-star resort in Kona a few nights earlier. We also opted to have a RMT come by our room to give us massages; which I must say was money well spent.

The breakfast was also very good, with lots of fresh fruit, eggs and macadamian nut waffles. I'm not a coffee drinker but my wife simply adored the coffee; mind you, coffee in most places in Hawaii is very good. The young lady who prepared our breakfast very nice and hospitable; as were Len and Jane.

In terms of negatives, there are a couple, but nothing serious. Firstly, part of the trip to the inn, the road is either very narrow or unfinished, so expect a slow, bumpy ride. The directions on the website are good and there is some signage along the way, which are helpful. Lastly, there is no air conditioning or a tv in the room. While there is a tv in the lounge downstairs, you do run the risk of getting bit my mosquitos.

Overall, our stay at the inn was very nice experience and we would definitely stay there again the next time we are in Hilo.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

My husband and I had the pleasure of staying one night at Kulaniapia. My cousin and her husband, who live in Kona recommended it. And, yes, they were right. We had breathtaking views of the water fall. Quick hikes were had in the morning and evening to waterfall and gardens. A nice stretchy yoga class in the morning. A wonderful personalized breakfast by our pagoda's cook and housekeeper. We would have stayed another night if they were not booked. I would love to come here again. It's the perfect way to adjust to island time.

Room Tip: Yes its a little pricey, but spend the extra $10 and go for the room overlooking the falls. You get...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Our family reserved the Pikake and Maile rooms. The view was outstanding, the rooms were decorated very well and very clean. The owners, Len and Jane, are there if you need them but give you complete privacy. We enjoyed walking the fantastic paths down to the waterfalls! In the morning we had coffee on our balcony, perfect. Breakfast is prepared and served by Lea, she is a real gem. I had a delicious waffle, eggs, fresh fruit and coffee, great! I am so glad that I didn't miss staying at this bed and breakfast while on the island. Even the drive to it is amazing through the macadamia nut trees. I want to go back!!! I remember when I first walked in, it was that nice clean smell of freshly polished wood. And then that aroma of waffles and coffee in the morning. Our family loved it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Ocala, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

The Inn at Kulaniapia Falls is situated in a gorgeous area-with their own waterfall right out your door! I would say the property outdoors deserves 5 stars and is the reason I chose to stay there for over a week. This B&B is very Zen, perhaps not for a city slicker that expects plenty of attention; more of a great retreat. Upon your arrival you are directed by a previous email to a board hung above a welcoming bench area-it gves you your room name in one of the three homes that are offered on the beautiful property. It is at your leisure that you find your room and carry your things to it. The key will be in the door. Mornings you are greeted with a great breakfast by an experienced, wonderful staff including local fresh fruit, toast, waffles eggs any way you like-all prepared in your residence's common area /kitchen. Very yummy and a brilliant way to start the day!
As far as the rooms-they are pulled together with interesting furnishings, great sheets, yet a bit lacking in the details for more than a 3 * rating. I am an interior designer that has helped during some of the renovation and design of The Inn at Little Washington a true 5 * Inn-so I may hold a higher standard for anything over 3*. At The Inn at Kulanapia Falls-they do attempt to emulate more-just not quite there yet. Although I am certain they are head and heels above other accomodations in the town of Hilo, as I did look at a few. Most have seen a better day.
Overall-all rooms were clean and thoughtfully presented.The Inn, I rate at 3 * for various reasons-which was fine for what i needed, wanted and expected- even though the location was a 5*-Here are just a few reasons why-
They could have a bit thicker towels (although they had fresh clean towels as often as you needed them-just let the cooks know in the morning as they also tidy your room) upgraded faucets, shower heads especially need to be upgraded , the soap dispenser in the showers is a good idea -maybe--but is cheap-and not always reliable. I know it is more $$ to have beautiful soaps with the Inns name-yet those are the finished touches that bring a place to a higher level of credibility and finally more solid bedroom doors to block sound with less dated door knobs to compliment the feel they are hoping to create. Perhaps much of that may be a reflection of what is available on the island.
The rooms are not all the same size-I stayed in the Orchid and the Pakake both in the gorgeous Harmony house. The second floor Pakake had a great little balcony which over looked the waterfall. The Orchid on the first floor was larger yet no balcony and the TV was out until 5 days after I left according to the note on it-(that was the kind of detail I would not expect from a higher rated B & B-to me the details are what make a difference )
I was fortunate enough to actually meet the owners (apparently a rare occurance according to other posts-yet i saw them often mowing etc. as well) who were very helpful on one occasion; accommodating and extremely welcoming. Len and Jane Sutton have a dream place and fortunate for the rest of us, are willing to share it as a B&B. The town Hilo is only 15 minutes away-relatively close for the island country -as my friends on the island were 30 minutes from town. There are great restaurants in town-my favorites-for lunches and dinners-Cafe Pesto and for pastries Moonstruck Cafe. Would I stay there again or recommend you stay there? Absolutely!

Room Tip: Again-second floor rooms best views-the sound of the waterfall is divine!!!! The grounds 5+++ stars...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Vienna, Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

My wife and I have been there for one week during christmas. We had a nice room with all we need and a nice sight. Breakfast with fresh fruits and waffers made of the family let´s feel like at home.
Everything runs easy, from the arrival until the leaving. The area arround the houses are wonderfull, so you can walk through the bamboo trail to the pond with the waterfall. Everything is like it seems to be on the homepage. The owners are realy nice and help if you need it. So leaving their house was hard for us and even we live on the other side of the world we think to come back to this wonderfull place.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

The staff are very friendly am accommodating the views and property are amazing, it's close to Hilo Nd very private. I would choose this over a regular hotel any day and would tell my friends to stay there as well. Great choice after visiting the volcano.

• Stayed December 2012
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

My wife and I stay just one evening at the Inn but the place definitely exceeded expectations. We were the Prince Kalaukaua Room and I must say that is one of the most comfortable and relaxing evenings we have had a inn in a long time. Couple the gentle rain with a very comfortable bed and even though we stayed just one evening it was like stay three! Relaxing! In the morning the breakfast and coffee were outstanding and we able to take a walk down by the falls. We were the only ones there and it felt like we were on our own island!

Staff were great! Highly recommend

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Inn at Kulaniapia Falls? Share your experiences!