“Very interesting and enjoyable!” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 32 Outdoor Activities in Hilo
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Arnott's Lodge and Hiking Adventures is a unique and special place for people to spend their Hawaiian stay on the Big Island and take our tours. Our tours consists of Mauna Kea Sunset/Stargazing, Volcano National Park and Valleys and Waterfall Tours. We also do custom tours to cater to your needs. Arnott's Lodge and Hiking Adventures was established in 1990 and we continue to give our guests an experience they'll never forget. Take advantage of our discounted tours when you stay with us for a minimum of 2 nights. We provide a place to pitch your tent, dormitories, semi-private units, suites, deluxe and deluxe suites.
San Antonio, Texas
13 attraction reviews
“Very interesting and enjoyable!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

Our experience was booked thru our cruise shore excursion. The company was prompt, van comfortable and James, our tour guide, was polite, informative and helpful. Deli wrap lunch just right. I would choose this company if I were to return. Good experience.

AlohaArnotts, Manager at Arnott's Lodge and Hiking Adventures, responded to this review, November 3, 2012
Aloha and Mahalo for your review. It's ship season for us on the Big Island and we provide tours for majority of the cruise ships, in addition to our lodge tours and custom tours. Thank you for choosing Arnott's Hiking Adventures on your arrival in Hilo as I know there were other tour options that you could've chosen. I'm glad you enjoyed your adventure tour with us and yes, come see us again soon. Aloha

Bethesda, Maryland, United States
4 attraction reviews
“Highly recommended!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

From my first phone call, Arnott's Lodge was professional and friendly. I was staying in Kona, so they made arrangements for to meet them to start the tour instead of driving all the way to Hilo. David Collier was my tour guide. He was knowledgeable, friendly, and very professional. I would recommend this tour, Arnott's, and David Collier to my friends and family.

Visited October 2012
AlohaArnotts, Manager at Arnott's Lodge and Hiking Adventures, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Aloha and Mahalo for your positive review. Thanks for choosing Arnott's Hiking Adventures for your trip to Mauna Kea. Because we are the only tour operator from Hilo that has a permit for Mauna Kea we make every effort to meet others halfway especially if they are coming from the west side of the island. We are also proud of the staff that we have working for us. David is very knowledgeable and enjoys sharing the beauty of the Big Island. Thank you for telling your friends and family about us. We really appreciate it. Aloha
San Mateo, California
“Arnott’s – You saved by Big Island vacation!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

I typically don’t write reviews, but I just had to let it be known that Arnott’s is just the kind of business you want to be dealing with, especially when you are on vacation.

The owner - Doug, Glory, and staff were all just so amazing - beyond belief. They went out of their way to ensure that they did everything they possibly could to help me out when I found myself in trouble, while on the Mauna Kea tour. Arnott’s turned around what could have been a nightmare and a disastrous ending to my Big Island vacation into one where I felt a tremendous level of hospitality and the spirit of Aloha. I cannot thank them enough.

My encounter with Arnott’s was the Mauna Kea Sunset Tour. First I was greeted by a super-friendly office staff (sorry didn’t catch her name!) for check-in, then by our tour guide, David. The tour itself was top-notch. David was very friendly and funny and very informative. You could tell he really loved the Big Island and wanted to share as much as he could. The stargazing was amazing and very educational, especially for someone like me, who knew nothing about constellations. It was very cold at the summit but Arnott’s provided us with parkas and hot cocoa. Just what we needed!

My personal trouble started after we started the tour. About 20 min into our van ride to the summit, I realized that I could not find the key for my rental car, which I parked at Arnott’s. I then called the office to request that they search the area where I was sitting while waiting for the tour to start. Glory herself looked around but found nothing. I called a few more times to check on the status, and Glory had also asked the staff to look, and my key was nowhere to be found. After returning from the tour, David, the tour guide, thoroughly inspected the van to make sure my key was not there.

I was totally stressed out because the rental car company said the spare key for my car was only at the other side of the island - in Kona, which was a couple of hours’ drive and I was supposed to fly out of Hilo the next day. It was very late and closing time for Arnott’s. Glory helped me look everywhere again while I was on the phone with my roadside assistance and the rental car company, trying to figure out how I am going to solve my problem.

That’s when Doug, the owner, stepped in and took the phone call for me, trying to help the rental car agent understand how much trouble it would be for me to go to the other side of the island to get the spare key, and proposing alternative solutions. Once a workable solution was reached, Doug reviewed and re-reviewed hours of security video surveillance to see if anyone could have taken my key. We concluded there was no theft involved. Then he suggested searching the van one more time. I had no hope at that point, honestly, because I had checked the van myself a couple of times, and so did David, the tour guide.

But why not, one last check? I even pulled out the emergency equipment bag from under the seat this time, and put it back as I found nothing. Then Doug, with his super high power flashlight suggested checking the bag again, with the strong beam. Lo and behold – there it was! I have no idea how my key could have fallen out of my pocked, slid across the back side of the bench seat and landed in the emergency equipment bag!

OMG, had it not been for Doug’s willingness to sacrifice his personal time after a long day and incredible amount of patience to go through everything he did, I would have had a sleepless night, and a stressful day the next day, trying to tow the existing rental car, get a new rental car, drive 30 min to where I happened to be staying, pack, check out, return the rental car and fly out, not to mention pay for the lost key, etc. Thankfully, I was able to get a good night’s sleep that night and leave the island rested and relaxed the next day!

I want to add that the level of service Arnott’s demonstrated went way beyond what would be expected of ANYONE. I honestly felt like I was being treated like family, not just a tour guest. It seems very obvious to me that, for Arnott’s, it is about quality, passion for service, and most of all, just being very decent, kind and generous folks. If that is the basis from which they operate, you just can’t go wrong signing up with Arnott's!

Visited August 2012
AlohaArnotts, Manager at Arnott's Lodge and Hiking Adventures, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Aloha Sara, I'm glad it all worked out in the end and we found your keys!! Talk about a major relief especially towards the end of your vacation on the Big Island. We and our staff try our best to help our guests in any way we can and we would hope that others would reciprocate assistance, patience and effort if we were stuck with a similar situation. I'm glad we were able to alleviate your stress and left you in a great state. There's nothing like leaving on your final days of vacation on a bad note.

Quality is very important for our lodge and our tours. And we strive to make improvements and listen to the feedback of our guests to make our product better and better. Mr. Arnott was very persistent in finding your missing keys and with that you left Hilo smiling. Some of our guests do leave as true friends and family and we hope to see you again soon in the future. Aloha and Mahalo Sara
Ängelholm, Skåne Län, Sweden
“Great lava tour!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

My guide on this trip was David Jay, who picked me up at my hotel in Hilo. We were only a few on our trip, so we got a more personalized tour. We got to see the Halema'uma'u crater from the Hawaiian Volcano Observatory, and we got a tour of the Hawaiian Volcanoes National Park, where we got to see lots of different species living there. We also got to see the Thurston Lava Tube and lots of other places where significant lava events had occurred. We even went to the coast, which was one long and steep cliff!

It was a great trip and it was made even better because of our nice and knowledgeable guide from Arnott's. The trip is well worth the money if you are into volcanoes and lava!

Visited June 2012
AlohaArnotts, Owner at Arnott's Lodge and Hiking Adventures, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
Aloha to our friend from Sweden!! Thanks for the wonderful review!! Seeing Halemaumau crater is a MUST while you're on the Big Island. One of the unique things about our tours is that they do include actual hikes where we drop you at one point and pick you up at another enabling our guests to enjoy this incredible park on a number of one way adventures. We also give our guides considerable freedom to choose from among the many features of the park so that no matter what the weather you still get an amazing adventure, as your trip to the coast demonstrated as that is not a normal part of this tour.

We hope to see you again at Arnott's Lodge and remind you that had you stayed with us 2 nights you would've received a discount on the tour. Aloha
Arizona
5 attraction reviews
“Great tour, glad we went.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

We chose this tour because we were staying in downtown Hilo and did not want to drive all the way to Kona to join the more popular tour companies there. But we were not disappointed and loved our guide Daniel, who was extremely friendly and open to questions. The large tour van was in great shape and there was secure parking at Arnott's Lodge for our rental car. This company also picks up people at all Hilo hotels. No food included in tour price, but we stopped at a 7 Eleven near our Rainbow Falls photo stop that had plenty of cheap food and drink options. Daniel provided hot cocoa at the Mauna Kea visitor center after returning from the summit. BTW, the visitor center has a public microwave oven for visitors to use free of charge. Mahalo, Daniel and Arnott Tours, for a great experience.

Visited July 2012
AlohaArnotts, Manager at Arnott's Lodge and Hiking Adventures, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
Aloha to our friend from Arizona!! Thanks for the great review!! We are happy you enjoyed our Mauna Kea tour. You have reviewed it so comprehensively that there is little to add except perhaps had you stayed 2 nights with us here at Arnott's Lodge you would have received a discount on the price of the Mauna Kea Summit tour.

We hope to see you again in the near future. Aloha