“Wonderful old hawai'i style Inn w/ ocean view” 5 of 5 stars

You added Wild Ginger Inn Hotel & Hostel to your Saves list
Wild Ginger Inn Hotel & Hostel
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   100 Pu'ueo St., Hilo, Island of Hawaii, HI 96720   |
Ranked #5 of 9 Specialty Lodging in Hilo
“Wonderful old hawai'i style Inn w/ ocean view”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012 via mobile

Been staying @ the WGI since the late 90's (when on assignment to the big island); we stay approx 4-7days per year, we go for the black & white night celebration in Hilo, hawai'i (in November)
Its a family affair run by Ben, very casual, w/ wonderful breakfast of baked goods by Arthur...it's old style hawai'i (no pool, hot tub, air conditioning, etc) WGI has a great view and wonderful grounds; plus the ocean trade winds are splendid !
WGI, to quote the david johansen song 'funky funky but chic' with very reasonable accommodations !
Its just a short 2 block walk from a residential neighborhood to downtown Hilo...the last great old school city in hawai'i (now a citadel of eclectic eccentric shops & wonderful fusion and authentic dining experiences)
We are going again this year, 2012...its my 14th visit @ WGI; the rest of our stay is in Volcano Vilage when visiting the big island annually

• Stayed November 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Wil
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

We stayed here for three nights and it was ok. It is really a budget place, so dont expect much. The owner is really nice and talkative. The rooms are clean, but very basic equipped, dont expect anything fancy. The rooms are not really isolated, therefore it gets very noisy. You hear especially the frogs in the rainforrest all night long.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011 via mobile

Cute place, and I love the crazy tree frogs and homey breakfast. But the traffic is loud, and the people next door might as well have been in our room. We heard their every cough and moan and toilet flush. To say the walls are thin doesn't really explain the noise situation there -- we had camped out for 3 nights before trying to crash here and we still barely slept!

• Stayed September 2011
Macon, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2011

After a 18 hour journey from Ohio, we arrived in Hilo around 8 pm. We informed them earlier that we would come around 8.30 pm. It was close to 9 pm when we arrived, and they had waited us until then. Friendly folks.

Room was very basic, but had a microwave, so we got some frozen pizzas from Walmart that is nearby as our jet-lagged dinner. Bed was comfortable, and weren't bothered by frogs that others complain.. since we slept like babies after traveling for so long.

Breakfast is very basic, but enough to get the morning going. It was perfect for a nights' stay.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Tampa, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2011

So I drove to Hilo for one night from the Sheraton Resort and Spa in Kona. Let me say this is not a resort and spa. Having said that it was a great deal! I loved the location (rain forest). The frogs are awesome. If you don’t like the sound of frogs (like those from those silly noise machines) it will make you crazy – if you like the sound it’s awesome!

The room was clean and adequate. The bed was fine, bathroom fine. No frills, no hair dryer but it did have a fridge AND microwave for under $60 a night in Hilo! They lock the main door at 9pm so you have to use a key to get into where the rooms are. As a single traveler I liked that. It felt much more like a hostel than hotel but again I liked that they locked it up.

There were two computers in the common area that people used to get on the net. I had my laptop and mi-fi card so I didn’t use them. The staff at the front desk were friendly and helpful. In the am there was coffee and some sort of breakfast – I didn’t eat. Overall, no complaints AT ALL. Would I stay there again for a night? YES! Would I stay for a week? Probably not. It’s what you would expect, a very inexpensive spot to crash in Hilo. Did I see bugs? ONE in the middle of the night (got up to use the bathroom). It’s the rain forest people, you are going to see bugs. I live in Florida and have WAY bigger roaches make their way into my house from time to time. It’s a great value hotel but know what you are getting into – it’s not what I would call a B&B, I would call it adequate budget accommodations.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2011

We stayed here after hiking Mauna Kea. I really just wanted a bed to sleep in after hiking and before going backpacking. The guy who booked our room seem surprised when I called. The room was ok, clean and the bed was comfy. It took almost 10 minutes to get hot water in the shower.
I wouldn't really call this a B&B as breakfast is fruit coffee and toast. There are many long term residents who out number people stay as hotel guests.
I didn't have any great expectations so I can't say I was disappointed, except for the shower issue. It's a shame, this place could be very charming but the owners are just letting it rot.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2011

This place is definitely not for everyone, but if you want a clean room and a decent bed for the night at a reasonable price, within walking distance from downtown, you'll probably like this place. It definitely isn't a bed and breakfast - yes, there is breakfast: some coffee, toast, and bananas. For those who complained about the frogs - many places you stay on the Big Island are loud because of the frogs. While it is load, there are incredible plants surrounding the hotel. If I were going to be in Hilo again, I would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Wild Ginger Inn Hotel & Hostel? Share your experiences!