“Nice place to crash in Hilo” 4 of 5 stars

Wild Ginger Inn Hotel & Hostel
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   100 Pu'ueo St., Hilo, Island of Hawaii, HI 96720   |
Ranked #5 of 9 Specialty Lodging in Hilo
Macon, Georgia
“Nice place to crash in Hilo”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2011

After a 18 hour journey from Ohio, we arrived in Hilo around 8 pm. We informed them earlier that we would come around 8.30 pm. It was close to 9 pm when we arrived, and they had waited us until then. Friendly folks.

Room was very basic, but had a microwave, so we got some frozen pizzas from Walmart that is nearby as our jet-lagged dinner. Bed was comfortable, and weren't bothered by frogs that others complain.. since we slept like babies after traveling for so long.

Breakfast is very basic, but enough to get the morning going. It was perfect for a nights' stay.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Tampa, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2011

So I drove to Hilo for one night from the Sheraton Resort and Spa in Kona. Let me say this is not a resort and spa. Having said that it was a great deal! I loved the location (rain forest). The frogs are awesome. If you don’t like the sound of frogs (like those from those silly noise machines) it will make you crazy – if you like the sound it’s awesome!

The room was clean and adequate. The bed was fine, bathroom fine. No frills, no hair dryer but it did have a fridge AND microwave for under $60 a night in Hilo! They lock the main door at 9pm so you have to use a key to get into where the rooms are. As a single traveler I liked that. It felt much more like a hostel than hotel but again I liked that they locked it up.

There were two computers in the common area that people used to get on the net. I had my laptop and mi-fi card so I didn’t use them. The staff at the front desk were friendly and helpful. In the am there was coffee and some sort of breakfast – I didn’t eat. Overall, no complaints AT ALL. Would I stay there again for a night? YES! Would I stay for a week? Probably not. It’s what you would expect, a very inexpensive spot to crash in Hilo. Did I see bugs? ONE in the middle of the night (got up to use the bathroom). It’s the rain forest people, you are going to see bugs. I live in Florida and have WAY bigger roaches make their way into my house from time to time. It’s a great value hotel but know what you are getting into – it’s not what I would call a B&B, I would call it adequate budget accommodations.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2011

We stayed here after hiking Mauna Kea. I really just wanted a bed to sleep in after hiking and before going backpacking. The guy who booked our room seem surprised when I called. The room was ok, clean and the bed was comfy. It took almost 10 minutes to get hot water in the shower.
I wouldn't really call this a B&B as breakfast is fruit coffee and toast. There are many long term residents who out number people stay as hotel guests.
I didn't have any great expectations so I can't say I was disappointed, except for the shower issue. It's a shame, this place could be very charming but the owners are just letting it rot.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2011

This place is definitely not for everyone, but if you want a clean room and a decent bed for the night at a reasonable price, within walking distance from downtown, you'll probably like this place. It definitely isn't a bed and breakfast - yes, there is breakfast: some coffee, toast, and bananas. For those who complained about the frogs - many places you stay on the Big Island are loud because of the frogs. While it is load, there are incredible plants surrounding the hotel. If I were going to be in Hilo again, I would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2010

My husband and I recently booked a trip to Hilo, Hi and stayed at the Wild Ginger. For a budget hotel this was not a good deal. The hotel is run down and rather primative. The room that we stayed in smelled of mildew and later I noticed mildew on the curtains - eew! I was also dreading the thought of using the shower. The shower stall just looked dirty and moldy while the bathroom (tiny as it was) was very primative. The hotel had also settled. What I mean is that the floor is not level. There is at least a 6" grade difference from one corner to the other of the room. So, this meant that the bed was also at a sever slant. In order to not roll out of the bed we had to put phone books under the bed to try to level it out. As others had noted the frogs were extemely loud all night long. I also had no idea how close to the highway that the hotel was. When we checked in later in the evening I could not see the highway through the foliage - but I knew it was there that night because I could hear all of the traffic and there was no missing the sound of the traffic in the am. I also need to mention other guests and foot traffic along the front of the hotel. Not to sound rude but I did not feel safe. Some of the guests looked/acted liked they were on drugs.

That day my husband and I were curious at what other accomodations we could find and at what cost. It was amazing - we found a beautiful room on the bay for about $20 more a night and I was not afraid to use the shower - no frogs - no questionable people.

The rip off was that when we checked in the woman charged the full weeks stay to my credit card (rather than collecting the standard 1 night and collecting the balance upon check out) and they have a 48 hour cancellation requirement. So, this meant that the owners of the Wild Ginger collected 2 nights stay when we only stayed one night. I couldn't stay another night. I hope someone finds this helpful when they are looking for budget accomodations and does not make the same mistake that I did. I'm still kicking myself for this choice and the fact that the owners of this "hotel" collected a couple extra nights fees (with an increase in the nightly fee since we did not stay for full 5 nights but paid for 3) this really stuck in my craw.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2010

After reading the reviews of other travelers about Wild Ginger, I think I should write my review here. I can't understand why some ppl commented it was clean. To be fair, I write the pros and cons about it here.

Pros: very convenient location, unbeatable price ($50 sth per night) in Hilo and friendly host

Cons: It was shocking when my husband and I entered the room. Three large cockroaches were on the wall. No hot water at all. Everything in the room was very dusty and filthy. Frogs were so loud that I thought there might be hundreds of them outside. If we had to stay in Hilo for a few days, we would have had checked out the room on that night and found another hotel without a doubt. Thank God we just stayed there for one night.

I have traveled 23 countries and stayed in many diff hotels/motels. This is absolutely the dirtiest one I have ever stayed.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2010

The Wild Ginger is not exactly motel hell, but pretty run down for the prices charged. I got the single room for $66. Cheap for Hilo perhaps, but next time I would pay more and stay elesewhere, thank goodness my family stayed in Kona. The rooms are cleaner than the dirty and run down lobby, but are old and paper thin walls transmit noise from the other rooms. Frogs are really noisy at night, but with no a/c an open window is a must. Not sure that the windows close anyway. Hilo hotels are pricey compared to the Kona side of the island, and Hilo generally does not seem as tourist friendly as Kona. I would not bother with Hilo again except it makes for a quick trip to see lava.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo

Been to Wild Ginger Inn Hotel & Hostel? Share your experiences!