“In time of need” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilo Naniloa Hotel

You added Hilo Naniloa Hotel to your Saves list
Hilo Naniloa Hotel
2.0 of 5 Resort   |   93 Banyan Drive, Hilo, Island of Hawaii, HI 96720 (Formerly Naniloa Volcanoes Resort)   |
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Hilo
Honolulu, Hawaii
“In time of need”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

First of all we would like to thank Nicole for accommodating us to stay at the Naniloa, due to we have missed our flight back to Honolulu, and we had car rental problems. Plus it was late in the evening.
The room was perfect for us, besides sleeping in the car.
We look forward to staying again in the Naniloa in June 2015.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Indonesian first
Honolulu
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Stayed at this newly-owned hotel late April/early May 2015 and, upon checking in, was informed that some of the amenities weren't available as the hotel was undergoing renovation.
Thus, the temporary front registration desk was actually at the rear of the hotel (seaside or makai, for you locals) and that wifi was available only in the "lobby" area and not in the rooms. I found this to be acceptable, judging from the work that was being done, but going to the room seemed a bit less enticing.
The room was a bit sparse, with seemingly older furniture which hopefully will be upgraded, and a flat-screen TV stuck on the highest (near the ceiling) location on the desk/clothes valet combo.

This sort of explained why this hotel came up as being the less expensive option of the 2 leading hotels in Hilo. The bathroom was below par as well and you could see that there was work needed to cover exposed panels that seemed to not fit together well. The former owner, who is a Hilo local, was in the process of doing extensive renovations at this property and probably ran out of funds.

The property was always "second-rate" from a long time ago and it is hoped that the new owner has the acumen and staying power to try and develop this location. There seems to be a lot that needs to be done and it can't be said that Hilo's economy is more progressive than the west (Kona) side of the island.
The hotel location is good and the layout seems inviting, but they just have to make the most of trying to entice customers into believing that they can offer value in what you're paying.

If the other hotel costs a few dollars more than the Naniloa when you are planning your trip, it may be a wiser option to stay there, at least as of this writing. Things change...let's hope the renovation does too. Luckily I was more interested in checking out the eruption at Volcanoes National Park and the rising lava lake there than critiquing the hotel....

Room Tip: Ask the front (rear) desk if the rooms are totally upgraded before checking in.
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

There is no internet in the rooms, you have to go to a common room to access it. This common room is noisy and has no accessible power points. Not cool.
The room is fine, half of the place is empty and under Reno which makes you feel like your in a creepy ghost hotel. The lift is old and scary

Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends
Oahu, Hawaii
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

This hotel is terrible. It is dirty, poor workmanship, and low quality. Our room did not have a smoke detector. When we returned the first night to our low quality room it was infested with flying termites. They were all over the wall, furniture, bed, and pillows. When I went to the desk they stated "well that happens, we'll send someone to spray the room. This is the third call we have had tonight". They did send a very nice person who did spray the room with a can of bug spray, "You'll need to keep all windows closed and leave the room this stuff is real strong". We had to stay in the lounge (outdated break room) for some time. We retuned to the room to dead bugs all over the floor and a lemon chemical smell. This we were forced to breathe in all night. (no other rooms available, not that they offered). The bugs stayed on the floor for two nights, housekeeping did not sweep them up. When checking out they did not ask how everything was, I guess they no better than to ask. The whole property is under construction (demolition) I never saw anyone working. The volcanoes, waterfalls, town, and people in the community are fabulous. Good Luck

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

The Front Reservationist Neal was extremely rude to me. The room I checked into was room 229 and smelled like mildew. The AC was broken and blew warm-hot air, it made the room smell even muskier. There are no windows to open and the room looked dirty. When I called downstairs to change rooms and even offered to pay more Neal answered rudely, "NO! We're booked!" He didn't bother to check. I left immediately and checked into Hilo Seaside where I spent less for a deluxe room and was greeted by much friendlier staff. I'm saddedned to see this happened at Naniloa Hotel because I'm from Hilo and visit here frequently. I usually stay at Hilo Seaside or Hilo Hawaiian but tried Naniloa to try somewhere different. I hope it gets better but for now I won't be returning anytime soon.

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 229
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
Waimea, Hawaii
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Looks a bit run down with old signs indicating they are "under construction". Looks like it's been this way for 15 years or more. However, the rooms are clean, spartan, and minimalist chic! Fantastic views and very comfortable. Thus, the value ratio is quite high. I have stayed here twice now and will continue to use this hotel as my base camp when in Hilo.

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Not good. Where do I start? We stayed two nights so my husband could attend a seminar there. Check in is at 4 pm. We arrived after 5 pm. Our room was not ready! We go to dinner and come back and get our room just before 7. Night one. Fire alarm sounds around 9 PM. We dress and go out the fire exit which leads to the Oceanside pool area. We could see that many guests were looking off the balcony and NOT evacuating. That was alarming. I believe fire code requires floor and room searches but maybe I'm wrong. Then we waited, and waited. No one came to get us or give us the all clear. Finally someone went around to the desk. One woman erupted at the elevators saying this hotel was the worst ever.
The next day I left early with a friend to go to the waterfalls. I put the door hanger on for the maid to make up the room at 8 am. My husband visited the room twice during his seminar breaks. No service and the maid cart sat unattended across from our room all day. I got back at 3 pm. Door hanger in place. I remove it to nap (I am disabled and I really need this sleep time). Knock at the door. It's the housekeeper wanting to know if I need service! No at this point I just want towels. "Well we don't have towels. I will bring them later."
So our room never got cleaned because the maid was clever at getting out of it. Then...The TOWELS NEVER CAME! Headed down to the front desk at 7 pm because we want to shower!!!
Had to go down physically because the rooms do not have phones. What to do in am emergency??? I wonder!!??
Three other parties were at the desk also asking for towels, from 3 different floors.
The parking lot had broken bottles in it. The grounds need extensive repair and are dangerous in many areas. This property sits on a prime spot. They need about 3 to 5 million to make it what it should be. Just awful. Don't stay here.

Stayed February 2015, traveled on business

Been to Hilo Naniloa Hotel? Share your experiences!