“Stop!!!! Go somewhere else....” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hilo Naniloa Hotel

You added Hilo Naniloa Hotel to your Saves list
Hilo Naniloa Hotel
2.0 of 5 Resort   |   93 Banyan Drive, Hilo, Island of Hawaii, HI 96720 (Formerly Naniloa Volcanoes Resort)   |
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Hilo
Oahu, Hawaii
“Stop!!!! Go somewhere else....”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

This hotel is terrible. It is dirty, poor workmanship, and low quality. Our room did not have a smoke detector. When we returned the first night to our low quality room it was infested with flying termites. They were all over the wall, furniture, bed, and pillows. When I went to the desk they stated "well that happens, we'll send someone to spray the room. This is the third call we have had tonight". They did send a very nice person who did spray the room with a can of bug spray, "You'll need to keep all windows closed and leave the room this stuff is real strong". We had to stay in the lounge (outdated break room) for some time. We retuned to the room to dead bugs all over the floor and a lemon chemical smell. This we were forced to breathe in all night. (no other rooms available, not that they offered). The bugs stayed on the floor for two nights, housekeeping did not sweep them up. When checking out they did not ask how everything was, I guess they no better than to ask. The whole property is under construction (demolition) I never saw anyone working. The volcanoes, waterfalls, town, and people in the community are fabulous. Good Luck

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Indonesian first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

The Front Reservationist Neal was extremely rude to me. The room I checked into was room 229 and smelled like mildew. The AC was broken and blew warm-hot air, it made the room smell even muskier. There are no windows to open and the room looked dirty. When I called downstairs to change rooms and even offered to pay more Neal answered rudely, "NO! We're booked!" He didn't bother to check. I left immediately and checked into Hilo Seaside where I spent less for a deluxe room and was greeted by much friendlier staff. I'm saddedned to see this happened at Naniloa Hotel because I'm from Hilo and visit here frequently. I usually stay at Hilo Seaside or Hilo Hawaiian but tried Naniloa to try somewhere different. I hope it gets better but for now I won't be returning anytime soon.

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 229
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
Waimea, Hawaii
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Looks a bit run down with old signs indicating they are "under construction". Looks like it's been this way for 15 years or more. However, the rooms are clean, spartan, and minimalist chic! Fantastic views and very comfortable. Thus, the value ratio is quite high. I have stayed here twice now and will continue to use this hotel as my base camp when in Hilo.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Not good. Where do I start? We stayed two nights so my husband could attend a seminar there. Check in is at 4 pm. We arrived after 5 pm. Our room was not ready! We go to dinner and come back and get our room just before 7. Night one. Fire alarm sounds around 9 PM. We dress and go out the fire exit which leads to the Oceanside pool area. We could see that many guests were looking off the balcony and NOT evacuating. That was alarming. I believe fire code requires floor and room searches but maybe I'm wrong. Then we waited, and waited. No one came to get us or give us the all clear. Finally someone went around to the desk. One woman erupted at the elevators saying this hotel was the worst ever.
The next day I left early with a friend to go to the waterfalls. I put the door hanger on for the maid to make up the room at 8 am. My husband visited the room twice during his seminar breaks. No service and the maid cart sat unattended across from our room all day. I got back at 3 pm. Door hanger in place. I remove it to nap (I am disabled and I really need this sleep time). Knock at the door. It's the housekeeper wanting to know if I need service! No at this point I just want towels. "Well we don't have towels. I will bring them later."
So our room never got cleaned because the maid was clever at getting out of it. Then...The TOWELS NEVER CAME! Headed down to the front desk at 7 pm because we want to shower!!!
Had to go down physically because the rooms do not have phones. What to do in am emergency??? I wonder!!??
Three other parties were at the desk also asking for towels, from 3 different floors.
The parking lot had broken bottles in it. The grounds need extensive repair and are dangerous in many areas. This property sits on a prime spot. They need about 3 to 5 million to make it what it should be. Just awful. Don't stay here.

Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

If you're wanting to spend any time in your room other than to shower and sleep, do not stay here! My husband and I stayed in Kona and Waikoloa for most of our trip but stayed 2 nights in Hilo so we could enjoy the volcano park. We didn't want anything fancy in the first place but our room was bare minimal. It was completely tiled. I kinda felt like I was in a Dr's office. There needed to be some carpet of some sort. It was so slippery when walking around the room after showering. And the bathtub didn't drain, by the time we were done taking a shower the tub was almost completely full. But the worst part of it was the air conditioner was sooooo flippin noisy at night....I ended up having to wear earplugs! I am glad we only stayed 2 nights and after the first, we considered not staying the second. Luckily we spent as little time as possible in the room so we lived with it for 2 nights but I wouldn't stay there again....even for the price.

Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Ok.....heres the skinny:

First, those of you who read my reviews know I hit the islands of Hawaii every year. Very hard to be objective about places that have a hold over my heart (guess I should just move there eventually!) but when it comes to the Big Isle, I admit I have a bit of a "love-hate" thing going on with the Kona side, which is why I decided to spend more time on the Hilo side this past trip, hence our decision to stay at the Naniloa.

After spending 4 days on the Hilo side, I can safely say the following about Hilo, and the Naniloa:

"I DIG this hotel, and this side of the island!"

Facts:

Kona is ok if you sportfish or want to spend time touring coffee farms, but the daily car traffic, in and out of Kona??????? I gotta admit we havent visited Kona in about 7-8 years and it truly took some time getting used to... sitting at stand stills on the highway, every day, regardless of the time of day.

Kohala and Captain Cook were much better, traffic-wise, but Hilo was a little, slightly-off-center, rough-around-the-edges, gem of a location, and the Naniloa seems to fit that bill perfectly as well.

No beaches on Hilo side, so dont expect a beach vacation. But the Naniloa has a GREAT location on the waterfront, steps away from a beautiful walking park, and steps aaway from Ice Pond (I know, I know....there aint no ice, so dont ask, but thats the name of the park and the swimming area to the right of the hotel). The water clarity in the tidal pools and the surrounding lava formations at the back of the Naniloa isnt 100% crystal clear, but the fish and turtles dont seem to mind, and snorkeling is about as easy as it gets anywhere on the islands.

The room we had was ocean/bay front, so the view was to die-for, and the room itself was clean and functional, with maid service that was was spot on, and reeked of the "Aloha" spirit I live for on the islands.

Are the rooms 5 star quality? No. I did not see any $10,000 furnishings or paintings in our room. Then again, I do not go to Hawaii to spend 24 hours in my hotel room, so I might have missed some in lobbys, or hall ways.

The building infrastructure is going through what appears to be a massively-planned rennovation, and I feel I can safely say that overall the building could use some sprucing up (like I said: rough around the edges), but Lord Knows Ive seen worse, and thats what rennovation is for, right?

Check in was a breeze, and the women at the desk were about as friendly and welcoming as any place I have visited.

Here, for me, is the bottomline about the value at the Naniloa:

GET THERE NOW WHILE ITS SO DAMNED REASONABLE! Dont even start me on the prices versus the Kona side. And while I dont golf, I heard one of the guests mention that the hotel is currently offering free rounds of golf at the course across the street to Naniloa guests. To me, thats a damned good value!!!!!!!

Hilo has great food....40 minutes from the Volcano, and 30 from the incredible Kapoho tidal pools (best damned snorkeling on the whole island, IMHO), and cheap, cheap, prices with acres of Aloha at the Naniloa.

What are you waiting for???????!!!!!

Room Tip: Gotta get a water view!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Redding, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Hotel is undergoing significant construction so there are some definite rough spots and the bars are not open, but rooms are clean and recently remodelled with no carpeting so no musty smell. Hotel was quiet, conveniently located, and has AWESOME ocean views for a very reasonable price. Free WIFI in common areas. Best place I have stayed in Hilo

Room Tip: ocean view is beautiful
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Been to Hilo Naniloa Hotel? Share your experiences!