“Major help needed here!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hilo Naniloa Hotel

You added Hilo Naniloa Hotel to your Saves list
Hilo Naniloa Hotel
2.0 of 5 Resort   |   93 Banyan Drive, Hilo, Island of Hawaii, HI 96720 (Formerly Naniloa Volcanoes Resort)   |
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Hilo
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
“Major help needed here!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Not good. Where do I start? We stayed two nights so my husband could attend a seminar there. Check in is at 4 pm. We arrived after 5 pm. Our room was not ready! We go to dinner and come back and get our room just before 7. Night one. Fire alarm sounds around 9 PM. We dress and go out the fire exit which leads to the Oceanside pool area. We could see that many guests were looking off the balcony and NOT evacuating. That was alarming. I believe fire code requires floor and room searches but maybe I'm wrong. Then we waited, and waited. No one came to get us or give us the all clear. Finally someone went around to the desk. One woman erupted at the elevators saying this hotel was the worst ever.
The next day I left early with a friend to go to the waterfalls. I put the door hanger on for the maid to make up the room at 8 am. My husband visited the room twice during his seminar breaks. No service and the maid cart sat unattended across from our room all day. I got back at 3 pm. Door hanger in place. I remove it to nap (I am disabled and I really need this sleep time). Knock at the door. It's the housekeeper wanting to know if I need service! No at this point I just want towels. "Well we don't have towels. I will bring them later."
So our room never got cleaned because the maid was clever at getting out of it. Then...The TOWELS NEVER CAME! Headed down to the front desk at 7 pm because we want to shower!!!
Had to go down physically because the rooms do not have phones. What to do in am emergency??? I wonder!!??
Three other parties were at the desk also asking for towels, from 3 different floors.
The parking lot had broken bottles in it. The grounds need extensive repair and are dangerous in many areas. This property sits on a prime spot. They need about 3 to 5 million to make it what it should be. Just awful. Don't stay here.

Stayed February 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Indonesian first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

If you're wanting to spend any time in your room other than to shower and sleep, do not stay here! My husband and I stayed in Kona and Waikoloa for most of our trip but stayed 2 nights in Hilo so we could enjoy the volcano park. We didn't want anything fancy in the first place but our room was bare minimal. It was completely tiled. I kinda felt like I was in a Dr's office. There needed to be some carpet of some sort. It was so slippery when walking around the room after showering. And the bathtub didn't drain, by the time we were done taking a shower the tub was almost completely full. But the worst part of it was the air conditioner was sooooo flippin noisy at night....I ended up having to wear earplugs! I am glad we only stayed 2 nights and after the first, we considered not staying the second. Luckily we spent as little time as possible in the room so we lived with it for 2 nights but I wouldn't stay there again....even for the price.

Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Ok.....heres the skinny:

First, those of you who read my reviews know I hit the islands of Hawaii every year. Very hard to be objective about places that have a hold over my heart (guess I should just move there eventually!) but when it comes to the Big Isle, I admit I have a bit of a "love-hate" thing going on with the Kona side, which is why I decided to spend more time on the Hilo side this past trip, hence our decision to stay at the Naniloa.

After spending 4 days on the Hilo side, I can safely say the following about Hilo, and the Naniloa:

"I DIG this hotel, and this side of the island!"

Facts:

Kona is ok if you sportfish or want to spend time touring coffee farms, but the daily car traffic, in and out of Kona??????? I gotta admit we havent visited Kona in about 7-8 years and it truly took some time getting used to... sitting at stand stills on the highway, every day, regardless of the time of day.

Kohala and Captain Cook were much better, traffic-wise, but Hilo was a little, slightly-off-center, rough-around-the-edges, gem of a location, and the Naniloa seems to fit that bill perfectly as well.

No beaches on Hilo side, so dont expect a beach vacation. But the Naniloa has a GREAT location on the waterfront, steps away from a beautiful walking park, and steps aaway from Ice Pond (I know, I know....there aint no ice, so dont ask, but thats the name of the park and the swimming area to the right of the hotel). The water clarity in the tidal pools and the surrounding lava formations at the back of the Naniloa isnt 100% crystal clear, but the fish and turtles dont seem to mind, and snorkeling is about as easy as it gets anywhere on the islands.

The room we had was ocean/bay front, so the view was to die-for, and the room itself was clean and functional, with maid service that was was spot on, and reeked of the "Aloha" spirit I live for on the islands.

Are the rooms 5 star quality? No. I did not see any $10,000 furnishings or paintings in our room. Then again, I do not go to Hawaii to spend 24 hours in my hotel room, so I might have missed some in lobbys, or hall ways.

The building infrastructure is going through what appears to be a massively-planned rennovation, and I feel I can safely say that overall the building could use some sprucing up (like I said: rough around the edges), but Lord Knows Ive seen worse, and thats what rennovation is for, right?

Check in was a breeze, and the women at the desk were about as friendly and welcoming as any place I have visited.

Here, for me, is the bottomline about the value at the Naniloa:

GET THERE NOW WHILE ITS SO DAMNED REASONABLE! Dont even start me on the prices versus the Kona side. And while I dont golf, I heard one of the guests mention that the hotel is currently offering free rounds of golf at the course across the street to Naniloa guests. To me, thats a damned good value!!!!!!!

Hilo has great food....40 minutes from the Volcano, and 30 from the incredible Kapoho tidal pools (best damned snorkeling on the whole island, IMHO), and cheap, cheap, prices with acres of Aloha at the Naniloa.

What are you waiting for???????!!!!!

Room Tip: Gotta get a water view!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Redding, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Hotel is undergoing significant construction so there are some definite rough spots and the bars are not open, but rooms are clean and recently remodelled with no carpeting so no musty smell. Hotel was quiet, conveniently located, and has AWESOME ocean views for a very reasonable price. Free WIFI in common areas. Best place I have stayed in Hilo

Room Tip: ocean view is beautiful
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
adelaide
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

fantastic location with the ocean views and balcony off the room
large room but like the rest of hotel is dated is in state of renovation with the outside and lounge areas to get the first attention room had a 70's feel but very comfortable and clean would stay again in a heartbeat!! great staff but if your looking for 5 star you will be disappointed but 2-3 is OK. good value for money wifi is only in lounge and lobby at this stage does not have any meal facilities or coffee bar etc at this stage but is close to others walking distance (100 yards) good restaurants nearby

Room Tip: get the ocean view rooms with the balcony great views!!
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2015

Interesting Hotel ... it has this simplistic feel to it. Ocean view is amazing! However, hotel itself does not have much to offer except a quiet and reasonable stay. Front desk workers are amazing; they are extremely helpful and nice. Despite the renovation going on, the hotel is pretty quiet. Price is reasonable -- take the ocean view! It is worth it. I rated 3 stars because I only stayed for 1 night, and it was not enough to really experience the hotel. I will update my rating if I stay at the place again. 3 stars because the hotel itself did not have much to offer.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Kailua, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2015

the room had a beautiful view the room was clean and comfortable the staff was awesome on return trips to the big island I would only stay at the naniloa. we enjoyed celebrating our 66 wedding aniversary

Room Tip: the view was the best
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled with family

Been to Hilo Naniloa Hotel? Share your experiences!