“Good value” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hilo Naniloa Hotel

You added Hilo Naniloa Hotel to your Saves list
Hilo Naniloa Hotel
2.0 of 5 Resort   |   93 Banyan Drive, Hilo, Island of Hawaii, HI 96720 (Formerly Naniloa Volcanoes Resort)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Hilo
Penticton, Canada
“Good value”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2015

Stayed at the Naniloa on the 14th and 15th of January while on vacation. I had stayed here ten years ago while on business. On a clear day the view of Mauna Kea and the harbour from the room balcony is great. Our room was a deluxe ocean view that had been remodeled. It was large, clean but sparsely furnished. The bed and bathroom were good. As other have mentioned there is no wireless or phone in the room. There is wired Internet so if you know how to make your laptop a hotspot and have a cell phone this isn't really a problem. There isn't a restaurant anymore either, but Ken's and other restaurants are within a 5 to 10 minute walk.

Compared to what the Naniloa used to be ten years ago I was quite disappointed. On the other hand if your touring around and looking for a place to sleep then the value I think is good. I would probably stay here again just because I suspect the few alternatives in Hilo are either over-priced or not any better for the price. I would recommend it as a place to sleep but not as a place to hang out and lay by the pool.

Room Tip: Re-modeled ocean view room was quiet and in good shape.
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Indonesian first
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2015

As other reviews have stated, yes there are major renovations taking place and they start working fairly early in the morning. I felt like I was in the same room with the people next to me. I could hear every cough and sneeze.
On the pro side, when the renovations are done, it will probably be the nicest place to stay on the Hilo side. We will continue to stay here because it is usually only for a night or two and the beds are much more comfortable than other hotels in the area.
I am very excited about the Uncle Willie K's that will be opening where the lounge used to be. Good things are happening for this place, I am excited to see it when it is all finished.

Room Tip: Stay on the highest floor possible, overlooking the bay. Also, there are a few very good restaurants...
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Idaho Falls, Idaho
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2015

My stay wasn't exactly horrible, but it was not a good value. The hotel is undergoing extensive and badly needed renovation, and the resulting noise and disruption are evident. I was given a 2nd floor (2 above ground level) "bay facing" room. The bay was actually the parking lot and outside seating area (with the bay visible, but well off to the left). The room was spartan, to say the least - no carpet/rug, a (reasonably comfortable) bed, and an office-type chair, with a modular desk and storage area that reminded me of my college dorm room. The television was perched on top of the closet (i.e., more than 6 feet off the floor) and so was essentially unwatchable (I didn't even try). The bathroom was spacious, but the tub had an additional 16- to 18-inch wall that one has to step over to get into it. There weren't many customers, so the noise was fairly low, but I could hear the folks next door through the wall, and door closings echoed in the hallway. The hotel advertised "free wifi", which it did in fact provide, but the signal wasn't strong enough to reach the 2nd floor, so instead I was told to use the lounge on the 1st floor - there the signal was adequate and provided reasonably fast connection. On the bright side, the woman at the front desk gave me a marvelous suggestion for a dinner location. Perhaps after renovations this property will be worth reevaluating.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled solo
Terry D, General Manager at Hilo Naniloa Hotel, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Aloha, We appreciate you observations have begun full scale renovations to entire property that am confident would meet your expectations for a first class resort with an outstanding location.
Palmerston North, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2015

We were only here in Big Island for ONE day and stayed in this hotel for ONE night only. Not sure if the place is still renovating but it is terrible! We arrived in a group and was the first to register. We paid for an upgrade before we got there and requested for a higher floor room but we got jackshit! We were placed in level 4 while others who register later than us got a higher floor than us. We asked why and the receptionist just gave us a stupid excuse and left. When we got up to our floor the hallway looks new and okay but do not be deceived. When we got to our room, we thought "this is our upgrade?" and when we look closely it was shocking! The chair in our room was dirty and had stains, the bathtub was filthy with stains. Plus point, its a big bathroom/shower. There is no kettle or telephone in the room, there is a coffee maker and the receptionist said we can boil water with that. The table lamp was rusty and for some reason the tv is placed above the cupboards centimeters away from the ceiling. When I opened one of the drawers there was a condom placed right next to the holy bible. I am not Christian but that is disgusting and I have no clue if the condom was new or used as there is NO WAY IN HELL AM TOUCHING THAT TO FIND OUT! Anyway It was pouring then and there is at least a good 10minute walk to restaurants/food place. It was pretty dark even with street lights. About 5 minutes walk from the hotel, there is a store where we bought food. The security guard at the store said to us "be safe walking around" so we thought we better not risk it. Oh and you have to pay 'bottle fees' if you buy bottled drinks even bottled water. The best thing that happened to us was when we asked the receptionist for plastic forks for our cup noodles (yes, there is NO plastic forks in the noodles), she did not snob us and gave us 2 forks for FREE! By then we were like praise the lord for plastic forks!

Room Tip: No tip as it was a terrible experience for us.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Aloha,
We sincerely apologize for your expectations not being met in various areas and have begun a complete renovation of the property that will include full remodeling of all guestrooms, lobby, public areas, restaurants, lounges, showroom, fitness center, concession store, banquet rooms and a revitalized pool deck area. During this time, we are providing the best values of properties in Hilo and hope you will look us up should your travels bring you back this way.
El Dorado Hills, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2015

Hotel is going to through renovation so no phone in the room. No restaurant or cafe on site. Close to aiport and right next to the bay. Has nice lounge. I paid for room with two double beds. They confirmed during the payment but when I cheked-in I found only 1 bed int he room. When I asked the front desk they said there should be two beds and then after few minutes of checking ont eh computer they said sorry we are sold out :( Not a good service in my opinion because they should have save my 2 bed room which I paid for.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Terry D, General Manager at Hilo Naniloa Hotel, responded to this review, January 7, 2015
Aloha,
Mahalo for staying at the Naniloa and agree the property will be a beautiful full service resort when renovations are completed this summer. Our apologies for the bedding request and normally have double bedded rooms available that we would have gladly placed you in. Am guessing you were here during the x-mas period when we were full, thus unable to accommodate the room change.
Hilo, Hawaii
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2015

Aloha I just wanted to acknowledge that your staff at the hotel was very nice. We live on this Island and wanted our granddaughter to have a different birthday . So we booked a room and used the swimming pool and the ocean ponds. The kids loved it. We understand about the renovations so it wasn't a problem for our needs. Mahalo for your staff in making our day awesome.

Room Tip: Our room overlooked Hilo Bay on one of the top floors. There were other comments made by other trav...
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
Boulder, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2015

The best feature of this hotel is that it is very close to the airport which is great for a one night stay for late arrival or early departure to/from the island. In fairness the hotel is undergoing a massive renovation and should be quite nice once complete (a year or so from now perhaps). The hotel is clean and the rooms comfortable enough and the views and location are very nice. There is no in-room WiFi but you can use a lounge area for network access or get a cable from the front desk for hard-wired access but hey, you're in Hawaii so maybe not being connected is a good thing. The rates are reasonable at present so it may be a good choice for brief stays.

Room Tip: We had a nice view of the harbor from the front of the hotel. Ask for an upper floor.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hilo Naniloa Hotel? Share your experiences!