“Very nice rooms with an awesome view!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilo Naniloa Hotel

Save Saved
You added Hilo Naniloa Hotel to your Saves list
Hilo Naniloa Hotel
2.0 of 5 Resort   |   93 Banyan Drive, Hilo, Island of Hawaii, HI 96720 (Formerly Naniloa Volcanoes Resort)   |
Ranked #6 of 8 hotels in Hilo
“Very nice rooms with an awesome view!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

The outside may not be too shabby but the room was very nice and modern. The corner room with the wraparound balcony was nice. No restraint onSite was a downfall but places to eat are nearby. Can't wait till all the renovations are done. I will definitely be staying here whenever I come to visit my brother in college.

• Stayed August 2014

56 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Cold Lake, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We spent three nights here, it is very old dilapidated building. No phones in room or wifi. All cleaning staff did was fold the toilet paper over on the holder, even after I added to have it cleaned . Pool was not clean, and oh the bugs! I know they are renovating, but give your guests a more clean , updated room. Don't put paying guests in the getto!!!!

Room Tip: Not sure if there is, if there is they certainly didn't let you know!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Kapaa, Hawaii
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Don't stay at the Hilo Naniloa hotel. First issue we had was upon checking in was that our room still occupied! So we were. "Upgraded" to a ocean view room. Room had no microwave, coffee maker without complimentary coffee and no phone. Apparently they don't make your beds here. Also unless you put your rubbish in the tiny trash cans, housekeeping won't throw it away. While Hilo is not known for its great hotels , this one has to be rock bottom!!

Stayed August 2014
Watertown, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We had an extremely happy experience staying here for a week in February. We had a beautifully designed Danish minimalist-looking room/bathroom/balcony - the balcony overlooked the ocean and provided a gorgeous view. We came here by process of elimination because we couldn't find a room anywhere else on the spur of the moment for under $250 a night. We got an excellent price and an upgrade probably BECAUSE of shoddy areas - near the pool, near an elevator exit - in places that didn't affect us or bother us at all. We preferred staying at this almost empty place (with beautiful views of Mauna Kea, the bay, and the ocean and a quirky and sweet atmosphere) to staying at one of the hotels next to it - in one of the places that were more than twice as expensive and had less attractive rooms and public areas in our opinion. Those hotels were also teeming with tourists while the Naniloa was under the radar. The Naniloa may finish its renovation soon and then it may no longer be a place to get a great deal. In any case, for now, because the property has flaws, our experience with the room, the balcony, and the price was five stars +.

Room Tip: Get a balcony overlooking the sea.
Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Oxnard, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The ceiling right above my son's bed leaked in the middle of the night waking him up. The leak was so bad that in 12 hours I got a gallon of water inside the trash can from the room(this by the way was their "fix" the problem). When I went to shower after a dusty and tiring hike at the volcano national park I noticed that the drain in the tub did not drain at all and after just couple minutes the dirty disgusting water was up for 4" inches, no wonder the tub floor is black due to grime accumulated over time.

If you plan to stay here I recommend that you stop first at target and buy a plastic stool so you shower on it that way you avoid getting fungus in your feet like happened to me.
Also if you stay here make sure you only go to sleep because the place in itself is depressing and run down.
I ask about the internet promised in the description, and I was told that they did not have more internet cables and once one becomes available I will get it, that they will call me to pick up that cable...that never happened. I stayed there 3 nights because I felt I was going to waste more time moving to another hotel due to my short planed vacation there.

Overall I don't think this hotel is no where near to be a 4 or 3 star level.

Room Tip: ask to see that there is not ceiling leakage and that the tub drains properly or bring a plastic sto...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We were very pleased with every aspect of the Hilo Naniloa, rates and room included. We were lucky to get a room right after Hurricane Isabelle hit and our other plan fell through due to damage in the area. The staff was friendly, helpful and very professional in the face of Hurricane Julio due the next day, everything was put away in prep for high winds.
That being said you need to have a sense of adventure. The Naniloa is in the process of being brought back to it's former splendor. After exploring the grounds and the hotel you can see that it must have been amazing in it's day. It is easy to see that care is being taken to go slowly in the renovation and do it well. They are stating with the basic comforts, air con, clean rooms and bath, mini fridge, coffee and TV. I particularly loved the wood screens that were in place of drapes, with the morning sun and heat they were much more efficient and added to the tropical feel of the experience.

Room Tip: There is no carpeting in the hotel, which I liked. A bit more sound, but much more clean.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Zagreb, Croatia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Being aware of the tripadvisor comments and descriptions I got a pretty clear expectations of the hotel, and the experience itself exceeded it by far. First impression and the exteriors of the hotel were not promising, but the reception at the hotel, especially the ladies at the front desk were great. Friendly, helpful, resourceful as I asked for directions and hints about sights and destinations. The oceanfront view room was extremely clean, spacious, with a marvellous view. I would have appreciated the wifi in the room, and a little bit more for the breakfast, but I picked the economy hotel because I did not plan to spend much time in it anyways, and for an overnight accommodation the hotel was a formidable choice.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

Been to Hilo Naniloa Hotel? Share your experiences!