“Fantastic experience here in spite of the flaws” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hilo Naniloa Hotel

Save Saved
You added Hilo Naniloa Hotel to your Saves list
Hilo Naniloa Hotel
2.0 of 5 Resort   |   93 Banyan Drive, Hilo, Island of Hawaii, HI 96720 (Formerly Naniloa Volcanoes Resort)   |
Ranked #6 of 8 hotels in Hilo
Watertown, Massachusetts
“Fantastic experience here in spite of the flaws”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We had an extremely happy experience staying here for a week in February. We had a beautifully designed Danish minimalist-looking room/bathroom/balcony - the balcony overlooked the ocean and provided a gorgeous view. We came here by process of elimination because we couldn't find a room anywhere else on the spur of the moment for under $250 a night. We got an excellent price and an upgrade probably BECAUSE of shoddy areas - near the pool, near an elevator exit - in places that didn't affect us or bother us at all. We preferred staying at this almost empty place (with beautiful views of Mauna Kea, the bay, and the ocean and a quirky and sweet atmosphere) to staying at one of the hotels next to it - in one of the places that were more than twice as expensive and had less attractive rooms and public areas in our opinion. Those hotels were also teeming with tourists while the Naniloa was under the radar. The Naniloa may finish its renovation soon and then it may no longer be a place to get a great deal. In any case, for now, because the property has flaws, our experience with the room, the balcony, and the price was five stars +.

Room Tip: Get a balcony overlooking the sea.
Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

52 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We were very pleased with every aspect of the Hilo Naniloa, rates and room included. We were lucky to get a room right after Hurricane Isabelle hit and our other plan fell through due to damage in the area. The staff was friendly, helpful and very professional in the face of Hurricane Julio due the next day, everything was put away in prep for high winds.
That being said you need to have a sense of adventure. The Naniloa is in the process of being brought back to it's former splendor. After exploring the grounds and the hotel you can see that it must have been amazing in it's day. It is easy to see that care is being taken to go slowly in the renovation and do it well. They are stating with the basic comforts, air con, clean rooms and bath, mini fridge, coffee and TV. I particularly loved the wood screens that were in place of drapes, with the morning sun and heat they were much more efficient and added to the tropical feel of the experience.

Room Tip: There is no carpeting in the hotel, which I liked. A bit more sound, but much more clean.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Zagreb, Croatia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Being aware of the tripadvisor comments and descriptions I got a pretty clear expectations of the hotel, and the experience itself exceeded it by far. First impression and the exteriors of the hotel were not promising, but the reception at the hotel, especially the ladies at the front desk were great. Friendly, helpful, resourceful as I asked for directions and hints about sights and destinations. The oceanfront view room was extremely clean, spacious, with a marvellous view. I would have appreciated the wifi in the room, and a little bit more for the breakfast, but I picked the economy hotel because I did not plan to spend much time in it anyways, and for an overnight accommodation the hotel was a formidable choice.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

I have been here one night with my wife and the hotel in average is OK.
We got the ocean view and it is very nice. There was no WiFi in the room so it was very annoying to go to the lobby to Skype with friends etc as we would prefer to do it privately inside our room. Anyway, we knew it in advance because it was clearly written in the hotel description.

The room floor was very old and full of stains which makes the room look dirty, even if it was clean.

For one or 2 nights I would come again because the price was good, but not for longer.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Sedona, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Any resemblance between the room pictured and the actual rooms is purely coincidental. We made a reservation for a day in Hilo to tour the area without the need to travel from Kona. This hotel is thirty years + past it's prime. Pool was green, all stores empty, there was moss and weeds coming down from the roofs. Upon entering the room there was a bed in the center, one plywood nightstand, a plywood amour, and a old tube type TV. I needed to call the front desk and hunted for the phone. It wasn't there! I used my cell phone and got through to them on the second try. I asked where the phone was. They said they were installing a new system and there wasn't one yet. What would have happened in an emergency or fire? Do they go room to room or send smoke signals? They are supposed to be remodeling but I didn't see evidence of that. I would say give them a pass until if or when that is ever completed. However, I must say that the staff was as accommodating as possible under the circumstances.

Room Tip: Your guess is as good as mine based on experience. I booked an Ocean View Room as pictured. I did ge...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Kalei L, Manager at Hilo Naniloa Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Aloha Mark K,

Thank you for your review. Honest feedback is always appreciated.

We agree that this property has seen better years. Since acquiring this property in December of last year, we have been hard at work preparing for a much needed renovation and revitalization. Countless hours have been spent behind the scenes correcting previous errors and designing a new and exciting hotel, with the latest in creature comforts and design. We will begin our renovation soon, and I promise you a whole new experience on your next visit.

Thanks for your time,

Kahului, Hawaii
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Beautiful view if you get an ocean view room!!! The bad thing about this hotel there's no bath towels in room you have to go down to front desk and ask.Also the pool is crap I wouldn't swim there
other than that it was ok!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Kalei L, Manager at Hilo Naniloa Hotel, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Aloha joshkamalo,

Mahalo for taking the time to write a review. I apologize for the lack of towels upon your arrival, as that is not typical of our service. You'll be glad to know that the pool will be enhanced in our upcoming renovation. I happy that you would stay here again! I'm sure you will appreciate the added touches we will be including.

Aloha,
Olympia, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My son and I stayed for 10 days. We found the staff to be great, the room was clean, the bathroom appeared to have been redone recently and the beds were comfortable. We were only there to sleep as we spent our time outside exploring the island. I think it was a great value especially considering the location. It is right on Hilo Bay, with a large park with swimming and beautiful grounds right down the street. They have free parking and easy access. I can hardly wait to go back and I will surely stay there again! Mahalo to all the staff.

Room Tip: I believe some of the rooms have been recently remodeled. I found the room I was in to be more than...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Kalei L, Manager at Hilo Naniloa Hotel, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Aloha Bruce M,

Mahalo for your review! We appreciate your feedback.
The room that you were in was renovated by the previous management, and will be enhanced further during our upcoming renovation. WiFi will be available throughout the hotel, lobby, and restaurant so our guests can stay connected. Much more improvements will be included too.
We invite you to return in the future, we're confident you will be pleased.

Mahalo,
Hotel Manager

Been to Hilo Naniloa Hotel? Share your experiences!