“I would stay there again” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hilo Naniloa Hotel

Save Saved
You added Hilo Naniloa Hotel to your Saves list
Hilo Naniloa Hotel
2.0 of 5 Resort   |   93 Banyan Drive, Hilo, Island of Hawaii, HI 96720 (Formerly Naniloa Volcanoes Resort)   |
Ranked #6 of 8 hotels in Hilo
Kahului, Hawaii
“I would stay there again”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Beautiful view if you get an ocean view room!!! The bad thing about this hotel there's no bath towels in room you have to go down to front desk and ask.Also the pool is crap I wouldn't swim there
other than that it was ok!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

43 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Olympia, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

My son and I stayed for 10 days. We found the staff to be great, the room was clean, the bathroom appeared to have been redone recently and the beds were comfortable. We were only there to sleep as we spent our time outside exploring the island. I think it was a great value especially considering the location. It is right on Hilo Bay, with a large park with swimming and beautiful grounds right down the street. They have free parking and easy access. I can hardly wait to go back and I will surely stay there again! Mahalo to all the staff.

Room Tip: I believe some of the rooms have been recently remodeled. I found the room I was in to be more than...
Coatesville, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

Stayed there for two nights with my wife and 2 sons (16 and 13) while we explored Volcanoes National Park. The place was probably once a pretty nice place. Now it's "strange" to say the least. It appears an upgrade project started - bathrooms are redone nicely, but then they appear to have ran out of $. Beds are sitting on frames - that's it. Hallways are poorly lit in places.The place was clean although it's definitely in need of an over haul. We were only there to sleep as we were out all day long, so all in all I was glad we stayed there because of the price - $101 a night including tax. You can't beat it. But it you are spending time at the hotel, I'd stay away. Also, no maid service - they just change the towels... No beds made, etc...

Kalei L, Manager at Hilo Naniloa Hotel, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Aloha Steve J,

Mahalo for your review. Customer feedback is important to us.

I'm glad that you found our hotel to be a good value. We agree that you can't beat the price for a waterfront property. You'll be happy to know that since we've acquired this property just 6 months ago, we've been hard at work planning and preparing this property for renovation. We will be installing brand new LED lighting, artwork, carpeting in the hall and rooms, a complete overhaul of the rooms in our Mauna Loa tower, adding in a new restaurant, and many more improvements and enhancements. We hope to begin renovations soon, and we should have some new rooms available by year end. We will even enhance the rooms in the Mauna Kea tower (the tower you were in) which had been previously renovated by prior management. This property is about to go through an amazing transformation. Should you ever make it back to Hilo, I invite you to come back and see what a difference a year makes!

Again, thanks for your review.

Aloha,
Kalei L
Oakland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The views from the ocean front rooms with the wrap around balconies are amazing. Very spacious rooms with kitchenettes and living area in addition to king bed. Very reasonable prices for the accommodations and very well located in Hilo.

Room Tip: High floor overlooking the water with wrap around balcony. Magnificent room at very reasonable pric...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Aloha Fred B,

Mahalo for posting a review and for your personal recommendation on room selection.

If you think we are a hidden gem now, I hope you are able to return next year after renovation are complete! With all new guest rooms, a new lobby, and a new restaurant, this hotel will once again become the chosen destination for Hilo visitors.

Thanks for taking the time to post a review.

Usa, Japan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I was a little weary about this hotel after reading the reviews, but was pleasantly surprised with our newly renovated room with a great ocean view. Yes the hotel needs to be renovated and it looks like they are in the process of that, but the room was nice and clean and the grounds were very nice. This is a nice hotel for the money!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Aloha TSW73,

Thank you for your review. We love hearing feedback from our guests.

We agree that our views are great! It's hard to find waterfront hotel rooms in Hawaii at a better value! We hope to see you again in the future.

Warmest Aloha,
Middle Village, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Honestly, where do I begin? The hotel looks run down. I've never been to a halfway house (thankfully), but based on what I've seen on TV, this hotel resembles one. The hallways, lights and elevators are all run down. There are scuff marks, dirt, grime, and flickering lights like a horror movie. We were on the 6th floor and when we exited the elevator, I seriously told my wife: I've seen horror movies that start like this.

A lot of what has already been said applies here: you're given an actual key, not a key card, there's no wifi in your room -- only in the lobby -- and you only have wired internet. The TV in the room is in the very top corner of the room -- yes, near the ceiling. The TV signal/picture was horrendous (don't tell me it's because of satellite on the island, the place where we ended up staying has crystal clear pictures). There's no phone so you can reach front desk! This is an enormous hotel complex. For me to reach the front desk I either have to go downstairs or search on my phone for the number and dial out from my cell?

Continuing on...my room didn't have an iron/ironing board. The toilet looks like it's from a public school. The room itself was filthy. There was a disgusting sticky substance on the wall. The sheets and pillow case were stained. The fitted sheet for the bed? There wasn't one. When we removed the top cover, it revealed a bed that was only partially made. Either they ran out of linens or room service gave up and stopped. Also, our room only had one nightstand! Our room was literally four walls with a desk and one hanging rack. The sliding wood frames that take the place of blinds or curtains didn't slide smoothly. I literally had to pick it up, one at a time, and then move it over.

The good? The A/C works (kind of). It was very slow to cool things off. The view on the balcony is nice -- but it overlooks the disgustingly dirty hotel exterior. All the pictures you see online were obviously taken when the hotel opened or was cleaned. There is moss growing all over the place.

With all that said, we had to stay the night because we arrived in Hilo at 9 pm and were exhausted so we stayed. My wife and I basically slept on top of each other because we didn't want to roll onto any other, uh, spots on the linen. When we spoke with someone in charge, I guess she was a manager, I explained all this and said we would like to leave. When we mentioned that the room looked barren, the woman said that the room should have a desk, a king bed and two nightstands, so either someone absconded with the nightstand or the staff removed it for another room. I'm not sure which explanation is better.

We canceled the rest of our stay and went to Island Goode's instead. It couldn't have been a bigger godsend.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Aloha Joseph A,

Thank you for such a candid review. I apologize that your stay did not meet your expectations. As you may know, we recently acquired the property approximately six months ago. We have been working very hard to address most of your concerns and prepare this property for renovation.

We intend to restore the beauty and glory to this property and make it the premier destination for East Hawaii visitors. New guest rooms with the latest in comfort and guest conveniences should be available by year-end, and a new lobby and restaurant will welcome our guests as well. We are very excited to transform this previously neglected property into the shining gem of Hilo!

Should your future travel plans ever return you to Hilo, I invite you to give us another chance. I promise you a much better experience. Please feel free to email me directly at klyman@aquaresorts.com so I may personally assure your satisfaction.

Again, thank you for taking the time to submit a review. We really do appreciate your feedback.

Mahalo,

Wausau, WI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Stayed here for 2 nights while on the Hilo side of the island. Nice area, but the hotel needs a lot of work. No phones in the rooms because they told us they are upgrading the phone system. WHAT?? No Phone??? Cold tile floors, air conditioning did not work correctly and had to have maintenance come and fix it. Wrote a note to housekeeping the next day to leave air on, but alas it was turned off when we returned late the next evening and room was stifiling. Appears they bathrooms have had a facelift recently but not so for the rooms. Hotel needs to invest in a pressure washer and clean the exterior. Had a room with a King and a twin bed (3 of us in the room), but only 2 sets of bath towels? Would not recommend this place.

Room Tip: Great views - crummy room
Aloha travelerMary,

Feedback from our guests, good or bad, is always appreciated. Thanks for the review.

I'm sorry that you were disappointed with your stay. We just took over this property in late December of last year, and we too were disappointed in its condition. You're absolutely right that the hotel needs a lot of work. Rest assured that we have been diligently working to address current issues and prepare this property for a much needed renovation and revitalization.
The room interiors will be brand new, including a state of the art phone system, carpeting, an improved, energy efficient air conditioning system, and much, much more.

If you make it to Hawaii Island in the future, we would be delighted if you'd give us a second chance. I'd be happy to give you a personal tour of our renovated property and I'm positive that you will be amazed at the improvements that are coming soon.

Again, thanks for taking the time to write a review. I hope we see you again soon.

Aloha,
Hotel Manager

Been to Hilo Naniloa Hotel? Share your experiences!