I bought a Groupon for this hotel. I thought I got a good deal, would be sort of close to the volcano, and since it was my first time to the Big Island, I would be able to see some sights. Well, I did see some sights and it was closer to the volcano than Kona. But I wish I booked elsewhere. What I wasn't told in the Groupon is that it was undergoing renovations. This meant not only lots of construction, but the pool was closed, the shops were closed, and worst of all, the power went out the one day I needed my alarm clock to make it to a scheduled activity on time. It's also in a dodgy part of town and a building that may or may not be on the same parcel of land looks like it's been abandoned for years.
Apart from that, I was in a room that had been renovated. They are obviously doing the best they can with some very old fashioned rooms. These have the old keys- no card readers. There were sliding wood frames to block the light. While these felt like a fresh touch, they didn't seem to be original since the built in closet/desk left an oddly sized space that was completely unusable. Furthermore, the tv was up above the closet so high that it was practically unusable. And in the bathroom, the tile was cut improperly so there was a slight gap above the light switch. From a design aspect- the tile was also a bad choice. It looked cool at first glance because it looked like it had shells and fossils embedded in it. But when you just catch a glimpse of it, it looks like bugs. :S
Finally, the thing that really irritated me was on the last day as we were checking out, I grabbed some clothes off my son's bed and must have had a handful of the sheets also. They pulled away from the bed and a keycard for Hilton dropped out. A) Like I said, they don't use keycards here. B) This isn't a Hilton property. C) How many guests have slept on top of that keycard and why are they not changing the sheets between guests?! Think about it- if the sheets were changed, that keycard wouldn't be under the bottom sheet of a bed. SO NASTY!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience the relaxed pace of Hawaii Island when you stay at the iconic Hilo Naniloa Hotel, located near downtown Hilo's quaint shops and eclectic restaurants, and the Hilo Airport. A favorite destination of both kamaaina and visitors for generations, our waterfront hotel welcomes you with comfortable and affordable accommodations, sundeck & pool, golf course, business center, and 24-hour front desk. As a bonus, when you book directly with Hilo Naniloa Hotel you'll receive a free round of 9-hole of golf! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, BookIt.com, BookingOdigeoWL, Despegar.com, Priceline and Tingo so you can book your Hilo Naniloa Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Naniloa Volcanoes Hotel Hilo
- Hawaii Naniloa Hotel Hilo
- Naniloa Volcanoes Hilo
- Hi Naniloa Hotel Hilo
- Hilo Naniloa Hotel Hawaii